- Volume 23 Issue 4
The Study on Correlation between the Forward Head Posture and Spinal Alignment
전방머리자세(Forward Head Posture)의 정도와 척추 만곡 변형의 상관관계
- Jung, Hyun-Woo ;
- Shin, Woo-Suk ;
- Kim, Doo-Hee ;
- Park, Won-Hyung ;
- Cha, Yun-Yeop ;
- Ko, Youn-Seok ;
- Lee, Jung-Han ;
- Chung, Won-Suk ;
- Shin, Byung-Cheul ;
- Song, Yun-Kyung ;
- Go, Ho-Yeon ;
- Sun, Seong-Ho ;
- Jeon, Chan-Yong ;
- Jang, Bo-Hyoung ;
- Ko, Seong-Gyu
- 정현우 ;
- 신우석 ;
- 김두희 ;
- 박원형 ;
- 차윤엽 ;
- 고연석 ;
- 이정한 ;
- 정원석 ;
- 신병철 ;
- 송윤경 ;
- 고호연 ;
- 선승호 ;
- 전찬용 ;
- 장보형 ;
- Published : 2013.10.31
Objectives This study was designed to investigate the correlation between the forward head posture and the spinal alignment. Methods We examined the whole spine x-rays of the 144 student sample. We measured the Craniovertebral angle (CVA), Cervical angle (CA), Thoracic kyphotic angle (TKA), lumbar lordosis angle (LLA) and Ferguson's angle (FA) of the students. We then analyzed the relationship between these angles. Results CVA had correlation with CA, but it was weak. There was significant correlation between CVA and TKA. There were no significant correlation among CVA, LLA and FA. Conclusions According to above results, there is a negative relationship between the CVA and the TKA - in that higher CVAs yielded lower TKAs. But CVA had no significant correlation with LLA or FA.
Forward head posture (FHP);Craniovertebral angle (CVA);Thoracic kyphotic angle (TKA);Lumbar lordosis angle (LLA);Ferguson's angle (FA)
- Haughie LJ, Fiebert IM, Roach KE. Relationship of forward head posture and cervical backward bending to neck pain. The Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy. 1995;3(3):91-7. https://doi.org/10.1179/jmt.19220.127.116.11
- 대한정형외과학회. 정형외과학 제5판. 서울:최신의학사. 2004:428.
- Bernhardt M, Bridwell KH. Segmental analysis of the sagittal plane alignment of the normal thoracic and lumbar spines and thoracolumbar junction. Spine. 1989;14(7):717-21. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198907000-00012
- Fon GT, Pitt MJ, Thies AC. Thoracic kyphosis: Range in normal subjects. Am J Roentengol. 1980;134(5):979-83. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.134.5.979
- Gelb DE, Lenke LG, Bridwell KH. An analysis of sagittal spinal alignment in 100 asymptomatic middle and older aged volunteers. Spine. 1995;20(12):1351-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199520120-00005
- Jackson RP, McManus AC. Radiographic analysis of sagittal plane alignment and balance in standing volunteers and patients with low back pain matched for age, sex, and size: A prospective controlled clinical study. Spine. 1994;19(14):1611-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199407001-00010
- Griegel-Morris P, Larson K, Mueller-Klaus K, Oatis CA. Incidence of common postural abnormalities in the cervical, shoulder, and thoracic regions and their association with pain in two age groups of healthy subjects. Physical Therapy. 1992;72(6):425-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/72.6.425
- Lowe TG. Biomechanical aspects of the surgical treatment of kyphotic deformities. Spine. 1996;10:433-53.
- Peterson MD, Jackson RP, McManus AC. Standing sagittal spinal balance, alignments and lumbopelvic relationships. Presented at the 30th Annual Meeting of the Scoliosis Research Society. 1995:13-6.
- Kendall F, McCreary E, Provance P, Rodgers MM, Romani WA. Muscles testing and function, with posture and pain 5th edition. Philadelphia:Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2005:71-4.
- Chiu TT, Ku WY, Lee MH. A study on the prevalence and risk factors for neck pain among university academic staff in Hong Kong. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation. 2002;12:77-91. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015008513575
- Hagberg M, Wegman DH. Prevalence rates and odds ratios of shoulder-neck disease in different occupational group. British Journal of Industrial Medicine. 1987;44:602-10.
- 권혁철, 정동훈. 스크린 높이와 고정대 위치에 경부 주위 근육의 활성정도 비교. 대한물리치료학회지. 2001;13(3):829-37.
- Silva AG, Punt TD, Sharples P, Vilas-Boas JP, Johnson M. Head posture assessment for patients with neck pain: Is it useful? International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. 2009;16(1):43-53. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijtr.2009.16.1.37939
- Watson DH, Trott PH. Cervical headache: an investigation of natural head posture and upper cervical flexor muscle performance. Cephalagia. 1993;13:272-84. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-2982.1993.1304272.x
- 김기택. 척추후만증(Kyphosis). 대한척추외과학회지. 1999;6(2):306-15.
- Hickey ER, Rondeau MJ, Corrente JR, Abysalh CJ. Reliability of the cervical range of motion (CROM) device and plumb line techniques in measuring resting head posture (RHP). The Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy. 2000;8(1):10-7. https://doi.org/10.1179/106698100790811346
- Yochum TR, Rowe LJ. Essentials of skeletal radiology. Hagerstown:Williams & Wilkins. 1987:54.
- Cobb JR. Outlines for the Study of Scoliosis: instructional Course Lecture. Vol 5. St. Louis:American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. 1948:261-75.
- 이종수, 임형오, 신병철. 정형추나학. 대한추나학회. 2002:155-6.
- 정성엽, 박영회, 금동호, 이명종, 조윤철. 유병기간에 따른 요통환자의 Ferguson's angle과 요추중력중심선의 통계적 관찰. 한방재활의학과학회지. 2002;13(1):119-29.
- 한방재활의학과학회. 한방재활의학. 서울:군자출판사 2011:41-2.
- Pal GP, Sherk HH. The vertical stability of the cervical spine. Spine. 1988:13(5)447-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198805000-00001
- Garrett TR, Youdas JW, Madson TJ. Reliability of measuring forward head posture in a clinical setting. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 1993:17(3):155-60. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1918.104.22.168
- Kendall F, McCreary E, Provance P. 근육평가를 통한 자세 교정 및 통증치료. 푸른솔. 2001:73-91.
- Yip CH, Chiu TT, Poon AT. The relation between head posture and severity and disability of patients with neck pain. Manual Therapy. 2006;13(2):148-54.
- Fernandez de Las Penas C, Alonso Blanco C, Caudrado ML, Pareja JA. Forward head posture and neck mobility in chronic tension-type headache: a blinded, controlled study. Cephalagia. 2006;26(3):314-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2982.2005.01042.x