- Volume 23 Issue 4
A Review of Questionnaire for the Clinical Trials on Chronic Low Back Pain
만성 요통 임상연구에 사용된 설문지 현황 고찰
- Kim, Doo-Hee ;
- Shin, Woo-Suk ;
- Lee, Jin-Won ;
- Park, Won-Hyung ;
- Cha, Yun-Yeop ;
- Ko, Youn-Seok ;
- Lee, Jung-Han ;
- Chung, Won-Suk ;
- Shin, Byung-Cheul ;
- Song, Yun-Kyung ;
- Go, Ho-Yeon ;
- Sun, Seong-Ho ;
- Jeon, Chan-Yong ;
- Jang, Bo-Hyoung ;
- Ko, Seong-Gyu
- 김두희 ;
- 신우석 ;
- 이진원 ;
- 박원형 ;
- 차윤엽 ;
- 고연석 ;
- 이정한 ;
- 정원석 ;
- 신병철 ;
- 송윤경 ;
- 고호연 ;
- 선승호 ;
- 전찬용 ;
- 장보형 ;
- Published : 2013.10.31
Objectives The aim of this review is to provide fundamental data for low back pain scales which can be used in clinical trial. Methods We investigated the latest studies on chronic low back pain via PubMed. And we also investigated domestic studies through "http://oasis.kiom.re.kr". 95 research papers were analyzed. Scales were classified into pain scale, function scale, generic health status scale and psychological scale. Results 1) According to foreign clinical studies, Visual Analog Scale (VAS) and Numerical Rating Scale (NRS) were used 18 times as pain scale. Oswestry Disability Index (ODI) was used 20 times as function scale, Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire (RMDQ) was 17, and Hannover Functional Ability Questionnaire (HFAQ) was used 3 times. 36-item Short Form Health Survey (SF-36) was used 13 times as generic health status scale, Euroqol-5 Dimentions Questionnaire (EQ-5D) was 11, and 12-item Short Form Health Survey (SF-12) was used 3 times. Fear-Avoidance Beliefs Questionnaire (FABQ) was used 9 times as psychological scale, Pain Catastrophizing Scale (PCS) and Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia (TSK-R) both were used 3 times. 2) According to domestic clinical studies, VAS was used 37 times as pain scale, NRS was 11, and Short Form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ) was used 6 times. ODI was used 30 times as function scale, RMDQ was 2 times only. SF-36 was used once as generic health status scale and Beck's Depression Inventory (BDI) was used 3 times as psychological scale. Conclusions We recommend VAS or NRS as a measure to evaluate pain, and ODI as a measure to evaluate functional disability. And we also recommend SF-36 or SF-12 and EQ-5D as a measure to evaluate generic health status. Finally, we recommend FABQ for use in measuring psychological scale.
Chronic low back pain;Scales;Questionnaire
- Yuan J, Purepong N, Kerr DP, Park J, Bradbury I, McDonough S. Effectiveness of acupuncture for low back pain: a systematic review. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2008;33(23):E887-900. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e318186b276
- Rubinstein SM, van Middelkoop M, Kuijpers T, Ostelo R, Verhagen AP, de Boer MR, Koes BW, van Tulder MW. A systematic review on the effectiveness of complementary and alternative medicine for chronic non-specific low-back pain. Eur Spine J. 2010;19(8):1213-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-010-1356-3
- Trigkilidas D. Acupuncture therapy for chronic lower back pain: a systematic review. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010;92(7):595-8. https://doi.org/10.1308/003588410X12699663904196
- Furlan AD, Yazdi F. Tsertsvadze A, Gross A, Van Tulder M, Santaguida L, Gagnier J, Ammendolia C, Dryden T, Doucette S, Skidmore B, Daniel R, Ostermann T, Tsouros S. A systematic review and meta-analysis of efficacy, cost-effectiveness, and safety of selected complementary and alternative medicine for neck and low-back pain. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012: 953139.
- Lewis K, Abdi S. Acupuncture for low back pain: a review. Clin J Pain. 2010;26(1):60-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e3181bad71e
- Ernst E, White AR. Acupuncture for back pain: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med. 1998;158(20):2235-41. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.158.20.2235
- Hutchinson AJ, Ball S, Andrews JC, Jones GG. The effectiveness of acupuncture in treating chronic non-specific low back pain: a systematic review of literature. J Orthop Surg Res. 2012;7(1):36. https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-799X-7-36
- Kim JH, Nam DW, Kang JW, Kim EJ, Kim KS, Kang SK, Lee JD. A review of clinical trials for development of assessment criteria for chronic low back pain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture&Moxibustion Society. 2009;26(6):215-24.
- Lee SH, Nam DW, Kang JW, Kim EJ, Kim HW, Song HS, Kim SW, Kim KS, Lee GM, Lee JD. E-mail survey for developing clinical guideline protocol on acupuncture treatment for low back pain. The Journal of Korea Acupuncture&Moxibustion Society. 2009;26(3):115-31.
- Wang JM, Kim DJ. Assessment of the spinal pain using visual analogue scale. Journal of Korean Society of Spine Surgery. 1995;2(2):177-84.
- Lee HJ, Nam SS, Lee YH. The study of pain and functional disability scales for low back pain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture&Moxibustion Society. 2002;19(2):137-48.
- Deyo RA, Battie M, Beurskens AJ, Bombardier C, Croft P, Koes B, Malmivaara A, Roland M, Von Korff M, Waddell G. Outcome measures for low back pain research. A proposal for standardized use. Spine. 1998;23(18):2003-13. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199809150-00018
- Bombardier C. Outcome assessment in the evaluation of treatment of spinal disorders: summary and general recommendations. Spine. 200;25(24):3100-3. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200012150-00003
- Ho K, Spence J, Murphy MF. Review of pain-measurement tools. Ann Emerg Med. 1996;27:427-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-0644(96)70223-8
- Leibing E, Leonhardt U, Koster G, Goerlitz A, Rosenfeldt JA, Hilgers R, Ramadori G. Acupuncture treatment of chronic low-back pain--a randomized, blinded, placebo-controlled trial with 9-month follow-up. Pain. 2002;96:189-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(01)00444-4
- Melzack R. The short-form McGill Pain Questionnaire. Pain. 1987:191-7.
- Shaw JW, Johnson JA, Coons SJ. US valuation of the EQ-5D health states: development and testing of the D1 valuation model. Med Care. 2005;43(3):203-20. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-200503000-00003
- Roland M, Fairbank J. The Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire and the Oswestry Disability Questionnaire. Spine. 2000;25(24):3115-24. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200012150-00006
- Hentschke C, Hofmann J, Pfeifer K. A bio-psycho-social exercise program for chronic low back pain in rehabilitation aftercare-study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2010;11:266. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-11-266
- Wee CC, Davis RB, Hamel MB. Comparing the SF-12 and SF-36 health status questionnaires in patients with and without obesity. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2008;6:11. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-6-11
- Jenkinson C, Layte R, Jenkinson D, Lawrence K, Petersen S, Paice C, Stradling J. A shorter form health survey: can the SF-12 replicate results from the SF-36 in longitudinal studies? J Public Health Med. 1997;19(2):179-86. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.pubmed.a024606
- Fujii T, Matsudaira K, Oka H. Factors associated with fear-avoidance beliefs about low back pain. J Orthop Sci. 2013. DOI 10.1007/s00776-013-0448-4.
- Hapidou EG, O'Brien MA, Pierrynowski MR, de Las Heras E, Patel M, Patla T. Fear and avoidance of movement in people with chronic pain:psychometric properties of the 11-item Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia. Physiother Can. 2012;64(3):235-41. https://doi.org/10.3138/ptc.2011-10
- Walton DM, Wideman TH, Sullivan MJ. A rasch analysis of the pain catastrophizing scale supports its use as an interval-level measure. Clin J Pain. 2013;29(6):499-506. https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e318269569c
- Von korff M, Jensen MP, Karoly P. Assessing global pain severity by self-report in clinical and health services research. Spine. 2000;25(24):3140-51. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200012150-00009