- Volume 58 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparison on Physicochemical and Cooking Properties of Milled Kernel in Waxy Corn Hybrids
찰옥수수쌀의 품종별 이화학특성 및 취반특성
- Lee, Yu Young (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Lee, Choon-Ki (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Lee, Jin-Suk (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Kim, Mi-Jung (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Kim, Sun-Lim (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Kim, Yul-Ho (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Park, Hyang Mi (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Kim, Wook-Han (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Kwon, Young-Up (National Institute of Crop Science RDA) ;
- Kim, Sung Kook (National Institute of Crop Science RDA)
- 이유영 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 이춘기 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 이진석 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 김미정 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 김선림 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 김율호 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 박향미 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 김욱한 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 권영업 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원) ;
- 김성국 (농촌진흥청 국립식량과학원)
- Received : 2013.09.05
- Accepted : 2013.10.06
- Published : 2013.12.30
Consumption of waxy corn is steadily increasing due to consumer preference for natural food. However, availability of waxy corn is limited because most of them are used for steamed waxy corn. It is therefore important to create new demands of waxy corn using food processing technology. There is little prior research about characteristics of milled kernel in waxy corn. This study examined the physicochemical and cooking properties of milled kernel using nine waxy corn hybrids. Colored hybrids (Heukjinju, Miheukchal, and Eolrukchal1) showed high milling yield and low change of grain length after milling process compared to other hybrids. The total starch content ranged from 62.1 to 68.4% and the gelatinization temperature of starch was lowest in Yeonnong1 (
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Chun, A., J. Song, H. C. Hong, and J. R. Son. 2005. Improvement of cooking properties by milling and blending in rice cultivar Goami 2. Korean J. Crop Sci. 50(S) : 88-93.
- Food, Agriculture, Forestry And Fisheries Statistical Year Book. 2010. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. Korea.
- Jung T. W., H. G. Moon, S. W. Cha, S. L. Kim, S. K. Kim, and B. Y. Son. 2001. Comparison of grain quality characteristics in waxy corn hybrids with a white and a black colored pericarp. Korean J. Breed. 33(1) : 40-44.
- Jung, T. W., S. L. Kim, H. G. Moon, B. Y. Son, S. J. Kim, and S. K. Kim. 2005. Major characteristics related to eating quality in waxy corn hybrids. J. Crop Sci. 50(S) : 152-160.
- Jung, T. W., S. Song, B. Y. Son, J. Kim, S. B. Baek, C. K.Kim, S. L. Kim, S. J. Kim, S. K. Kim, K. J. Park, H. M.Shin, and C. S. Huh. 2009. A black waxy hybrid corn,"Heukjinjuchal" with good eating quality. Korean J. Breed.Sci. 41(4) : 599-602.
- Kim, S. L., H. G. Moon, and Y. H. Ryu. 2002. Current statusand prospect of quality evaluation in maize. J. Crop Sci.47(S) : 107-123.
- Kim, S. L., J. J. Hwang, J. C. Song, and K. H. Jung. 2000.Extraction, Purification and Quantification of Anthocyaninsin Colored Rice, Black, Soybean and Black Waxy Corn. Korean J. Breed. 32(2) : 146-152.
- Lee, J. S., N. B. Park, J. H. Lee, J. H. Cho, Y. J. Won, H.M. Park, A. Chun, J. K. Jang, W. G. Hwa, G. H. Yi, andU. S. Yeo. 2012. Optimum milling degree for improvingsensory quality of cooked rice. Korean. J. Crop Sci. 57(4): 359-364.
- Lee, H. B., B. Y. Park, H. C. Ji, J. W. Cho, S. H. Kim, E.K. Mo, and M. R. Lee. 2006. Antioxidant activity andagronomic characteristics of colored waxy corns. Korean J.Crop Sci. 51(S) : 179-184.
- National Institute of Crop Science., Department of FunctionalCrop. 2010. Symposium of activation minor cereals industry.Rural Development Administration, Suwon, Korea.
- Perdon, A. A., T. J. Siebenmorgen, A. Mauromoustakos, V. J.Griffin, and E. R. Johnson. 2001. Degree of milling effecton rice pasting properites. Cereal Chem. 78 : 205-209. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2001.78.2.205
- Sung, M. H. and D. H. Kwon. 2011. Survey on the distributionof minor cereals. Policy Research Report. Korea Rural EconomicInstitute. p. 145.
- Tang, G. 2010. Bioconversion of dietary proviatmin A carotenoidsto vitamin A in humans. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 91(S) : 1468S-1473S. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2010.28674G
- Wang H., G. Gao, and R. L. Priior. 1997. Oxygen radical absorbing capacity of anthocyanin. Agric, Food Chem. 45 : 304-309. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960421t
- Yadav B. K. and V. K. Jindal. 2008. Changes in head rice yield and whiteness during milling of rough rice (Oryza sativa L.) J. Food Eng. 86 : 113-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.09.025
- Yu, M. H., E. O. Kim, and S. W. Choi. 2010. Quantitative changes of hydroxycinnamic acid derivatives and anthocyanin in corn (Zea mays L.) according to cultivars and heat processes. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39(6) : 843-852. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.6.843