- Volume 4 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Interferential Current Therapy on Functional Dyspepsia
Koo, Ja Pung;Shin, Hee Joon;Kim, Nyeon Jun;Jeon, Hye Mi;Park, Joo Hyun;Yun, Young Dae;Lee, Joon Hee;Lim, Sang Wan;Um, Ki Mai;Kim, Ji Sung
- Received : 2012.11.22
- Accepted : 2013.03.21
- Published : 2013.05.30
This study aims to address the effect of interferential current therapy and thereby to provide basic resources to physical therapies for internal medicine by identifying symptoms for functional dyspepsia and serum gastrin level that shows gastric motility. Following results were obtained by performing interferential current therapy to 16 subjects composed of 8 for functional dyspepsia group and 8 for control group for 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week, for 6 weeks. In control group, serum gastrin level was significantly( p<.01), lowered after the therapy whereas there was no significant difference observed in all questions from questionnaire for symptoms of functional dyspepsia between before and after the therapy. In functional dyspepsia group, serum gastrin level was significantly(p<.01), lowered after the therapy and there was also significant(p<.01) reduction in every question from questionnaire for symptoms of functional dyspepsia between before and after the therapy. There was more significant decrease in serum gastrin level and reduction in questionnaire for symptoms of functional dyspepsia in the functional dyspepsia group compared to the control group(p<.01). This study confirms the interferential current therapy as an effective therapeutic method for internal diseases including functional dyspepsia since it not only improves the symptoms of functional dyspepsia but also allows the gastric motility close to normal.
Functional Dyspepsia;Gastrin;Interferential Current Therapy
- Drossman DA, Richter JE, Talley NS. The functional gastrointestinal disorder. 1st Ed. Boston, Little Brown and Company; 1994.
- Thompson WG, Lonstreth GF, Drossman DA, Heaton KW, Irvine EJ, Muller-Lissner SA. Functional bowel disorders and functional abdominal pain. Guts 1999; 45(2): 1143-1147.
- Sahay P, Axon AT. Non-ulcer dyspepsia; does Helicobacter pylori matter. Postgrad J Med 1995; 71: 262-264. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.71.835.262
- Witteman EM, Tytgat GN. Functional dyspepsia. Neth J Med 1995; 46: 205-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-2977(95)00099-9
- Lee SI. Functional dyspepsia. J Korean Med Assoc 2005; 48(1): 48-60. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2005.48.1.48
- Kim HO, Lee JC, Kim SK, Park JJ, Lee DH, Lee ST, Lee EH et al. Index of dyspepsia symptoms-Korean IDS-K. Korean J Gastroenterol 2003; 41: 562
- Kim DJ. Irregular, guick meal is associated with non-ulcer dyspepsia . Korean J Fam Med 1999; 22(8): 35-46.
- Choi H, Choi MG, Kim SW, Moon SB, Kim BK, Kim BW et al. Functional gastrointestinal disorders in patients with gastrointestinal symptoms . Korean J Gastroenterol 1999; 33: 741-748.
- Lee JC, Yang CS, Seong IK, Kang IK, Hahm JS, Lee MH et al. A case of gastroesophageal intussusception in an achalasia patient. Korean J Gastroenterol 1992; 24(6): 53.
- Talley NJ, Choung RS. Whither dyspepsia a historical perspective of functional dyspepsia and concepts of pathogenesis and therapy in 2009. Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology 2009; 24(3).
- McQuid K. Dyspepsia: Pathophysioloy, Diagnosis and Management. Volume 1. 6th Ed. Philadelphia, W.B. saunder Co; 1997: 108-111.
- MacGregor IL, Zealous DW, Martin PM. Effect of pentagastrin infusion on gastric emptying rate of solid food in man. Am J Dig Dis 1978; 23: 72. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01072578
- Malagelada JR. Gastrointestinal motor disturbance in functional dyspepsia. Scand J Gastroenterol 1991; 26: 29-34.
- Guyton C, John EH. Text Book of Medical Physiology, 10Ed. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders; 2002.
- Mayer EA. New treatment of for functional pain: pharmacologic approaches. In: Syllabus of American: Gastroenterological Association Postgraduate Course. San Diego, 1995; 30: 315-326.
- Valenzuela JE, Defilippi C. Inhibition of gastric emptying in humans by secretin, the octapeptide of cholecystokinin, and intraduodenal fat. Gastroenterol 1981; 81: 898.
- Smith D, Gillen KM, Cochran E. Dyspepsia on withdrawal of ranitidine in Previously asymptomatic volunteers. Am J Gastoenterol 1999; 94: 1209-1213.
- Hongo M, Okuno Y. Diabetic gastropathy in patients with autonomic neuropathy. Diabet Med 1993; 10: 79-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.1993.tb00207.x
- Minami H, McCallum RW. The physiology and pathophysiology of gastric emptying in humans. Gastroenterol 1984; 86: 1952.
- Brandsborg O, Brandsborg M, Lovgreen NA, Mikkelsen K, Moller B, Rokkjaer M, Amdrup E. Influence of parietal cell vagotomy and selective gastric vogotomy on gastric emptying rate and serum gastrin concentration. Gastroenterol 1977; 72: 212.
- Nyren O, Adami HO, Bergstrom R, Gustavsson S, Loof, L, Lundavist G(1986). Basal and food-stimulated levels of gastrin and pancreatic polypeptide in non-ulcer dyspepsia and duodenal ulcer. Scand J. Gastroenterol 1986; 21: 471. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365528609015164
- Lee HJ. The Effects on the Activation of Internal Organs of Electrical Stimulation and Orthopedic Manipulative Therapy of Kaltenborn-Evjenth Concept to the T6-T9 Thoracic Vertebral Segments. Yong-in University. Master's Thesis; 2001.
- Kloth LC. Electrotherapeutic Alternatives for Treatment of Pain. Electrotherapy in Rehabilitation, Philadelpia, Pa F.A., Davis Co; 1992: 197-217.