- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Correlation between Problematic Behaviors and Activities of Daily Living of Elderly People with Dementia in Patients in a Geriatric Hospital
Wang, Joong San;Lee, Ju Hwan;Um, Ki Mai
- Received : 2013.06.27
- Accepted : 2013.09.24
- Published : 2013.10.30
The purpose of this study is to determine the correlations between problematic behaviors and activities of daily living(ADL) targeting 106 demented elderly people hospitalized in a geriatric hospital. To examine the cognitive function of the subjects, the study used Korean Mini Mental State Examination(K-MMSE). For problematic behaviors and ADL, the study collected data based on Patient Assessment Forms in the geriatric hospital. Among problematic behaviors, apathy/indifference had the highest correlation with the items of ADL. Irritability/lability, agitation/aggression, depression/ dysphoria, night-time behavior and wandering also showed to be correlated to items of ADL(p<.05). This study demonstrated that cognitive function, problematic behaviors and ADL of the demented elderly hospitalized in the geriatric hospital are correlated to each other.
Geriatric Hospital;Problematic Behaviors;ADL;Dementia
- WarrenEJ,GrekA,ConnD,HerrmannN,IcykE, Kohl J, et al. correlation between cognitive performance and daily functioning in elderly people. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol1989;2(2): 96-100. https://doi.org/10.1177/089198878900200209
- Kim JP, Hyun MY. Depression and suicidal ideation in elders with dementia. J korean acad nurs 2013;43(2):296-303. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.296
- Cohen-Mansfield J, Wemer P, Reisberg B. Temporal order of cognitive and functional loss in a nursing home population, J Am Geriatr soc 1995; 43(9): 974-978. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1995.tb05560.x
- Song JA, Park JW, Kim HJ. Impact of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia on caregiver burden in nursing homes. J korean gerontolnurs 2013; 15(1): 62-74.
- Kiely DK, Morris JN, Algase DL. Resident characteristics associated with wandering in nursing homes. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2000; 15(11): 1013-1020. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1166(200011)15:11<1013::AID-GPS226>3.0.CO;2-X
- Kang YU, Na DL, Han SH. A Vailidity Study on the Korean Mini-Mental State Examination(KMMSE) in Dementia Patients. Korean-J-Neurology 1997;15:300-308.
- Folstein MF, Folstein SE. McHugh PR. "Mini-mental state": a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res 1975;12(3):189-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- Kim DH, Na DL, Yeon BG, Kang Y, Min KB, Lee SH, et al. Prevalence of dementia in the elderly of an urban community in Korea. Korean Journal of Preventive Medicine 1999; 32(3): 306-316
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. statistics data sourcebook for present condition of Health Insurance care facilities(From 2007 to 2011yr). 2012.
- National Health Insurance Service. analysis of Medical Treatment Trend for Senile Disease from 2002-2009yr. 2010.
- The Law of Long Term Care Insurance for Senior Citizens. law Paragraph 11141. Artical2,item1.
- Jorm, AF. Is depression a risk factor for dementia or cognitive decline?. Gerontology 2000; 46(4): 219-227. https://doi.org/10.1159/000022163
- Wilson RS, Barnes LL, De Leon CM, Aggarwal NT, Schneider JS, Bach J, et al. Depressive symptoms, cognitive decline, and risk of AD in olderpersons. Neurology 2002; 59(3): 364-370. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.59.3.364
- Benoit M, Staccini P, Brocker P, Benhamidat T, Bertogliati C, Lechowski L, et al. Behavioral and psychologic symptoms in Alzheimer's disease: results of the REAL. FR study]. La Revue de medecine interne/fondee... par la Societ. nationale francaisedemedecineinterne 2003;24:319s.
- Lim EJ. The Relationship between Depression, Cognitive Function and the Instrumental Activities of Daily Living of Elderly Women Living Alone. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2013;14(4):1849-1856. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1849
- Cohen-Mansfield J. Agitated behavior and cognitive functioning in nursing home residents: preliminaryresults. ClinGerontol 1988;7(3/4):11-22.
- Nosman B, Bucht G, Eriksson S, Sandman PO. Behavioural symptoms in the institutionalized elderly.relationship to dementia. Int J geriatr psychiatry 1993; 8(10):843-849. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.930081007
- Oh BH. Diagnosis and Treatment for behavioral and Psychological Symtoms of Dementia. J Korea Med Assoc2009; 52(11): 1048-1054.
- World Health Organization. Dementia: a public health priority. WHO Press. United Kingdom, 2012.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. A study of prevalence of dementia. 2013.
- Cho MJ. The Prevalence and Risk Factors of Dementia in the Korean Elderly. the consecutive number of volumes of forum of Health and Social Service 2009;156: 2009-10.
- Pasquier F. Early diagnosis of dementia: neuropsychology. J Neurol 1999;246(1): 6-15.
- Yang GM, Kim SL. Factors related to Disturbing Behaviors, Promobid Personality and Depression in the Pre-demented Elderly and the Mild Demented Elderly. Journal of Korean Academy of CommunityHealth Nursing2005;16(4): 424-436.
- Banks WA, Morley JE. Memories are made of this: recent advances in understanding cognitive impairments and dementia. The Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and MedicalSciences 2003;58(4): M314-M321. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/58.4.M314
- Finkel S. Introduction to behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia(BPSD). Int J GeriatrPsychiatry 2000.
- Fernandez M, Gobartt A, BalanaM. Behavioural symptoms in patients with Alzheimer's disease and their association with cognitive impairment. BMC Neurol 2010;10(1):87. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2377-10-87
- Matsumoto N, Ikeda M, Fukuhara R, Shinagawa S, Ishikawa T, Mori T, Totota Y, Mastumoto T, Adachi H, Hivono N. Tanabe N. Caregiver burden associated with behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in elderly people in the local community. Dement Geriatric Cogn Disord 2007; 23(4): 219-224. https://doi.org/10.1159/000099472
- Desai AK, Grossberg GT, Sheth DN. Activities of Daily Living in patients with Dementia. CNS drugs 2004; 18(13): 853-875. https://doi.org/10.2165/00023210-200418130-00003
- Gauthier S, Gelinas I, Gauthier L. Functional disability in Alzheimer's disease. Int Psychogeriatr 1997;9(S1):163-165. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610297004857
- Kurz X, Scuvee.Moreau J, Rivem B, Dresse A. A new approach to the qualitative evaluation of functional disability in dementia. Int J Geriatr psychiatry 2003:18(11); 1050-1055. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.1009
- Kim SH, Jung JH. The Correlation between Cognitive Function and Basic Activities of Daily Living of the Elderly People with Dementia in the Residential Care Facilities. Journal of society of occupational therapy for the aged and dementia 2013; 7(1):57-67.
- Gill TM, Richardson ED, Tinetti ME. Evaluating the Risk of Dependence in Activities of Daily Living AmongCommunity-Living Older Adults With Mild to Moderate Cognitive Impairment. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1995; 50(5): M235M241.
- Ballard C, O'Brien J, James I, Mynt P, Lana M, Potkins D, et al. Quality of life for people with dementia living in residential and nursing home care: the impact of performance on activities of daily living, behavioral and psychological symptoms, language skills, and psychotropic drugs. Int Psychogeriatr2001; 13(01):93-106. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610201007499
- Bucks RS, Ashworth DL, Wilcock GK, Siegfried K. Assessment of activities of daily living in dementia: development of the Bristol Activities of Daily Living Scale. Age Ageing 1996; 25(2): 113-120. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/25.2.113
- Cho NO, Kim TS, Park CJ. Changes in ADL and Abnormal Behavior in Elderly People with Dementia Receiving Respite Care. J korean gerontolnurs 2002;4(2): 134-142.
- Volicer L, Hurley AC, Ellen M. Behavioral symptoms of dementia. Hospice Care for Patients with Advanced Progressive Dementia. New York: Springer 1998: 68-87.
- Sloane PD, Hoeffer B, Mitchell CM, McKenzie DA, Barrick AL, Rader J, et al. Effect of Person.Centered Showering and the Towel Bath on Bathing.Associated Aggression, Agitation, and Discomfort in Nursing Home Residents with Dementia: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. J American GeriatrSoc 2004;52(11):1795-1804. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52501.x
- Korean Association of Geriatric Hospitals. Job Instructions of Logn-term care hospitals for employee performance improvement. innosolution. 2010.
- Moran M, Lynch CA, Walsh C, Coen R, Coakley D, Lawlor BA. Sleep disturbance in mild to moderate Alzheimer's Disease. Sleep Med 2005; 6(4): 347-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2004.12.005
- Chae KS. A study on sleeping pattern of the eld-erly with dementia in geriatirc hospital. Department o nursing the graduate school Hanyanguniversity. 2008
- Heyn P, Abreu BC, Ottenbacher KJ. The effects of exercise training on elderly persons with cog- nitiveimpairmentanddementia:ameta-analysis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2004;85(10):1694-1704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2004.03.019
- Rolland Y, Pillard F, Klapouszczak A, Reynish E, Thomas D, Andrieu S, Riviére D, Vellas B. Exercise Program for Nursing Home Residents with Alzheimer's Disease: A 1‐Year Randomized, Controlled Trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007; 55(2): 158-165. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01035.x