- Volume 32 Issue 1
Objective: This paper describes an analysis of electroencephalography(EEG) signals to identify human errors during using digital devices in nuclear power plants(NPPs). Background: The application of an advanced main control room(MCR) has accompanied with lots of changes in different forms and features by virtue of new digital technologies. The characteristics of these digital technologies and devices provide several opportunities for the use of interface management. It can integrate into a compact single workstation in an advanced MCR, allowing workers to operate the plant with minimum physical burden under any operating condition. However these devices may introduce new types of human errors, and thus we need a means to assess and prevent such errors especially those related to digital devices. Method/Conclusion: The EEG data are relatively objective, and thus we introduce several measures to EEG analysis for obtaining the feasibility of human error identification. Application: This study may support to ensure the safety when applying digital devices in NPPs.
EEG;Human Error;Digital Devices;NPPs
- Whang, M.C, Kim Y.J. et al., A Research on Training Effect of EEG according to Repetitive Movement of a Hand, The Korean Journal of the Science of Emotion and Sensibility, Vol.11, No.3, pp.357-364, 2008.
- Fedota, J.R. and Parasuraman, R., Neuroergonomics and Human Error, Theoretical Issue in Ergonomics Science, Vol.11, No.5, pp.402-421, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/14639220902853104
- Gerwin, S. and Jonathan, R.W., EEG-based communication: presence of an error potential, Ckubucak Beyriogtsuikigtm, Vol.111, Issue 12, pp.2138-2144, 2000.
- Gethin, H. and Nick, Y., Dissociable correlates of response conflict and error awareness in error related brain activity, Neurophychologia, Vol. 49, Issue 3, pp.405-415, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2010.11.036
- Jang, T.I. and Lee, Y.H, A Modification of Human Error Analysis Technique for Designing MMI in MPPs, Journal of Ergonomics Society of Korea, Vol.22, No.1, pp.31-42, 2003. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2003.22.1.031
- Lee, S.J. and Kim, J.W., Human Error Mode Identification for NPP Main Control Room Operations Using Soft Controls, Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, Vol.48, No.6, pp.902-910, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/18811248.2011.9711776
- Lee, Y.H. et al., Development of an Extremely Low Frequency Human Error Assessment Technology for Digital Devices and Its Applications to the Nuclear Fields, KAERI/ TR-4575, 2011.
- Lee, Y.H., Jang, T.I., Lee, Y., Oh, S.H., Kang, Y.J. and Yun, J.H., Research Activities and Techniques for the Prevention of Human Errors during the Operation of Nuclear Power Plants, Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, Vol.30, No.1, pp.75-86, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2011.30.1.75
- Lee, Y.H., A Scrutinized Analysis Method of the Human Error Potential due to the Introduction of New Digital Devices to Nuclear Power Plants, Proc. HCI conference, USA, 2011.
- Lim, H.G., Variation of Relative Power Characteristics in EEG while Inducing Human Errors, The Journal of KOSOS, Vol.23, No.3, pp.65 -70, 2008.
- Lim, H.G., Influence of Work Difficulty Variation on EEG Characteristics Related with Human Errors, The Journal of KOSOS, Vol.25, No.3, pp.123-130, 2010.
- Oh, Y.J. and Lee, Y.H., A Study on the Operator's Erroneous Responses to the New Human Interface of a Digital Device to be introduced to Nuclear Power Plants, Proc. HCI conference, USA, 2011.
- Oh, Y.J. and Lee, Y.H., A Study on EEG Signal and Human Error Potential While using a Digital Device in NPPs, Proc. KNS fall conference, 2011.
- Chen, X. and Zhou, Z., Assessment of Human-Machine Interface Design for a Chinese Nuclear Power Plant, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Vol.87, pp.37-44, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2004.03.029
- Cho, D.J. and Shim, J.Y., Comparison of Relative Activity by EEG Regions according to EEG Biofeedback Training for 10weeks, Korea Sport Research, Vol.16, No.2, pp.421-430, 2005.
- O' Hara, J., Plant Modernization Programs, Nuclear Plant Journal, 2004.
- Youn, J.H., Development of a Human Error Evaluation Method for Introducing Smart Mobile to Nuclear Power Plants, Proc. ESK fall conference, 2011.
- Whang, M.C., Kim, K.T. et al., A Research on EEG Synchronization of Movement Cognition for Brain Computer Interface, Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, Vol.26, No.2, pp.167-171, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2007.26.2.167
Supported by : Ministry of Education, Science and Technology