- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Capacity of Horizontally Loaded Suction Anchor Installed in Silty Sand
세립 사질토 지반에 설치된 석션 앵커의 수평 지지력
Kim, Surin;Choo, Yun Wook;Kim, Dong-Soo;Sung, Hong Gun
- Received : 2012.10.22
- Accepted : 2013.02.14
- Published : 2013.02.28
A suction anchor is one of the most popular anchors for deepsea floating systems. An anchor used for catenary mooring is predominantly under a horizontal load. In this study, the behavior of a suction anchor installed in cohesionless soil was investigated when the anchor was mainly subjected to a horizontal load induced by a catenary line. In order to study the behavior of the suction anchor, 3D FEM analysis models were developed and analyzed. Depending on the location of the load (padeye), the ultimate horizontal load was monitored. The distributions of the reaction forces around the anchor induced by the seabed were analyzed using the circumferential stress to understand the behavior of the suction anchor under a horizontal load.
Suction anchor;Horizontal loading;Holding capacity;Soil reaction distribution
- Aas, P.M., Saue, M., Aarsnes, J., 2009. Design Predictions and Measurements During Installation of Suction Anchors With and Without Water-Flow System to Help Installation Through Layered Soil Profiles. Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Paper 20294.
- ABAQUS, 2011. User's Manual. Version 6.11.
- Andersen, K.H., Jostad, H.P., 1999. Foundation Design of Skirted Foundations and Anchors in Clay. Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Paper 10824.
- Anderson, K.H., Jostad, H.P., 2004. Shear Strength Along Inside of Suction Anchor Skirt Wall in Clay. Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Paper 16844.
- Aubeny, C., Murff, J.D., 2003. Simplified Limit Solutions for Undrained Capacity of Suction Anchors. Proc Int Sym Deepwater Mooring Systmes, Houston, 76-90.
- Bang, S, Jones, K.D., Kim, K.O., Kim, Y.S., Cho, Y., 2011. Inclined Loading Capacity of Suction Piles in Sand. Ocean Engineering, 38, 915-924. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.10.019
- Brinch Hansen, J., 1961. The Ultimate Resistance of Rigid Piles Against Transversal Forces. Danish Geotechnical Institute, Copenhagen, Bulletic, 12, 5-9.
- Broms, B.B., 1964. Lateral Sesistance of Piles in Cohesionless Soils. Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations, ASCE, 90 (SM3), 123-156.
- Cho, Y., Bang, S., 2002, Inclined Loading Capacity of Suction Piles. Proc 12th Int Offshore and Polar Eng Conf., Kitakyushu, ISOPE, 180-185.
- Choo, Y.W., Kim, S., Choi, H.Y., Kim, J.H., Kim, D.S., Kim, D.J., 2012. Behavior of Suction Anchor for Horizontal Load from Catenary Line in Cohesionless Soils. Proc 22th Int Offshore and Polar Eng Conf., Rhodes, ISOPE, 895-901.
- Desai, C., Siriwardane, H.J., 1984. Constitutive Laws for Engineering Materials with Emphasis on Geologic Materials. Prentice hall, New Jersey.
- Kim, S, Choo, Y.W., Kim, D.S., 2011. Horizontal Capacity of Suction Anchors for Stabilization of FSRU Mooring Line. Proceedings of KAOST 2011 in Busan. 1377-1381.
- Langford, T.E., Solhjell, E., Hampson, K., Hondebrink, L., 2012. Geotechnical Design and Installation of Suction Anchors for The Skarv FPSO, Offshore Norway. Proc. of the 7th International Conference of Society for Underwater Technology, 613-620.
- Meyerhof, G.G., Mathur, S.K., Valsangkar, A.J., 1981. Lateral Resistance and Deflection of Rigid Wall and Piles in Layered Soils. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 18, 159-170. https://doi.org/10.1139/t81-021
- Prasad, Y-VSN, Chari, T.R., 1999. Lateral Capacity of Model Rigid Piles in Cohesionless Soils. Soils and Foundations, 39(2), 21-29.
- Randolph, M.F., House, A.R., 2002. Analysis of Suction Caisson Capacity in Clay. Offshore Technology Conference, Huston, OTC 14236.
- Seo, Y.K., Kim, T.H., 2008. Uplift Capacity of a Plate Anchor Considering Suction Effect. Journal of KSOE, 22(6), 1-6.
- Simoni, A., Houlsby, G.T., 2006. The Direct Shear Strength and Dilatancy of Sand-gravel Mixtures. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 24, 523-549. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-004-5832-6
Supported by : 지식경제부