- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Numerical Simulation of Towing Stability of Barges in Calm Water
정수 중 바지선의 예인안정성에 관한 수치 시뮬레이션
- Received : 2012.08.13
- Accepted : 2013.02.14
- Published : 2013.02.28
This paper presents the results of a numerical study on the towing stability of barges. Towing simulations were carried out by using two different numerical models (MMG model and cross-flow model). Stability criteria are also suggested based on the analysis of the linearized governing equations for towed vessel motion. In order to validate the present numerical models, the experimental data of Yasukawa et al. (2006) were used. Simulations were conducted for single and double barges under constant towing speed and direction conditions. The time histories of the heading angle, yaw rate, and towline tension were compared between the numerical results and experiments. The effects of the towline length on the slewing frequency and maximum heading angle were also observed. In addition, a series of numerical simulations using variable hydrodynamic coefficients were performed to investigate the effects of the hydrodynamic forces on the towing stability.
Towing stability;Towed ship;Towline;Barge
- Abkowitz, M.A., 1972. Stability and motion control of ocean vehicles. The M.I.T. Press, Cambridge.
- Bernitsas, M.M., Kekerdis, N.S., 1985. Simulation and stability of ship towing. Int. Shipbldg Prog., 32(369), 112-123.
- Latorre, R., 1988. Scale Effect in Towed Barge Course Stability Tests. Ocean Engineering, 15(4), 305-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-8018(88)90048-0
- Lee, J.H., 2012. Multi-body and stability analysis of the towed ship system. Seoul National University, Master's thesis.
- Fitriadhy, A., Yasukawa, H., 2010. Slewing Motion Characteristics of a Towed Ship in Steady Wind. Proceedings of the 29th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2010-20673).
- Wichers, J.E.W., 1988. A Simulation Model for a Single Point Moored Tanker. Marine Publication, No. 797.
- Yasukawa, H., Hiritaka, H., Nakamura, N., Matsumoto, Y., 2006. Simulation of Slewing Motion of a Towed Ship. Journal of the Japan Society of Naval Architects and Ocean Engineers, 4, 137-146 (in Japanese).
Grant : 해저 및 해상생산플랜트 설치설계 핵심기술 개발, 해양구조물의 이송.설치를 위한 작업성능평가기술 개발
Supported by : 해양과학기술원