- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Efficient Parallel IP Address Lookup Architecture with Smart Distributor
스마트 분배기를 이용한 효율적인 병렬 IP 주소 검색 구조
- Received : 2012.07.23
- Accepted : 2012.09.27
- Published : 2013.02.28
Routers should perform fast IP address lookup for Internet to provide high-speed service. In this paper, we present a hybrid parallel IP address lookup structure composed of four-stage pipeline. It achieves parallelism at low cost by using multiple SRAMs in stage 2 and partitioned TCAMs in stage 3, and improves the performance through pipelining. The smart distributor in stage 1 does not transfer any IP address identical to previous one toward the next stage, but only uses the result of the previous lookup. So it improves throughput of lookup by caching effects, and decreases the access conflict to TCAM bank in stage 3 as well. In the last stage, the reorder buffer rearranges the completed IP addresses according to the input order. We evaluate the performance of our parallel pipelined IP lookup structure comparing with previous hybrid structure, using the real routing table and traffic distributions generated by Zipf's law.
- W. Shi, M. H. MacGregor, and P. Gburzynski, "An Adaptive Load Balancer for Multiprocessor Routers," Simulation, Vol.82, No.3, pp.173-192, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0037549706067079
- H. J. Chao, "Next Generation Routers," Proc. of IEEE, Vol.90, No.9, pp.1518-1558, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2002.802001
- Mi. A. Ruiz-Sanchez, E. W. Biersack, and W. Dabbous, "Survey and Taxonomy of IP Address Lookup Algorithms," IEEE Network, Vol.15, No.2, pp.8-23, 2001.
- H. J. Chao and B. Liu, High Performance Switches and Routers, Wiley-Interscience, 2007.
- W. Wu, Packet Forwarding Technologies, Auerbach Pub., 2008.
- 김진수, 김정환, "효율적인 IP 주소 검색을 위한 개선된 LC-trie", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제7권, 제3호, pp.50-59, 2007.
- G. Wang and N.-F Tzeng, "Exact Forwarding Table Partitioning for Efficient TCAM Power Savings," Proc. of IEEE NCA 2007. pp.249-252, 2007.
- J. H. Kim, M. C. Ko, H. K. Kang, and J. S. Kim, "A Hybrid IP Forwarding Engine with High Performance and Low Power," Proc. of the ICCSA 2009, pp.888-899, 2009.
- K. Zheng, C. C. Hu, H. B. Lu, and B. Liu, "A TCAM-based Distributed Parallel IP Lookup Scheme and Performance Analysis," IEEE/ACM Transation on Networking, Vol.14, No.4, pp.863-875, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNET.2006.880171
- Mohammad J. Akhbarizadeh, Mehrdad Nourani, Rina Panigrahy, and Samar Sharma, "A TCAM-based Parallel Architecture for High-speed Packet Forwarding," IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol.56, No.1, pp.58-72, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2007.250623
- D. Lin, Y. Zhang, C. Hu, B. Liu, X. Zhang, and D. C. Pao, "Route Table Partitioning and Load Balancing for Parallel Searching with TCAMs," Proc. of 21st IPDPS, pp.1-10, 2007.
- Y. Sun, H. Liu, and M. S. Kim, "Using TCAM Efficiently for IP Route Lookup," Proc. of 8th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, pp.816-817, 2011.
- Zoran Cica and Aleksandra Smiljanic, "Frugal IP Lookup Based on Parallel Search," Proc. of International Conference on High Performance Switching and Routing (HPSR), pp.1-6, 2009.
- Weirong Jiang and Viktor K. Prasanna, "Parallel IP Lookup using Multiple SRAM-based Pipelines," Proc. of 22nd International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), pp.1-14, 2008.