- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of Physician Coaching Model for Improvement of Patient-Doctor Communication
환자-의사 커뮤니케이션 개선을 위한 의사코칭 모델 개발
- Received : 2012.12.04
- Accepted : 2013.01.16
- Published : 2013.02.28
Recently there is a heated debate going on regarding the patient-doctor communication in the medical schools and medical service sector. Patient-doctor communication is an interactive communication made during the consultation session which is known to bring positive effect to both the patient and the doctor. Through this research, a doctor coaching model was developed by combining a method that would help the patient and doctor communicate better by increasing the doctor's communication skill and a coaching mechanism. Through the research, the doctor coaching model consists of 5 levels. First is the 'relationship creation' which would cause the doctor's interest and expectations toward coaching mechanism. Second is 'recognition of change' and this would cause to understand the problem and pros of the doctor's communication with the patient and set a direction regarding the coaching. Third is 'understanding the perspective' and this would lead the doctor to think from the patient's perspective. Fourth is 'increasing problem solving and communication skills' and this would set specific terms as to how the doctor can improve his communication skills. Fifth is 'goal setting and support' where goal regarding the improvements can be set and agreement regarding the ways to maintain and strengthen the advantage can be made. The developed doctor coaching model is most meaningful in a way that it has first adapted a coaching mechanism to improve patient-doctor communication. Also in cases where such will be utilized in the future medical service sector, it is expected to affect greatly the doctor's communication skill and patient sympathizing skills. Hereby it will contribute in increasing the patient's treatment satisfaction.
Physician Coaching;Patient-doctor Communication;Development of Model
- A. C. Mellor and P. Milgrom, "Dentists' attitudes toward frustrating patient visits: relationship to satisfaction and malpractice complaints," Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.23, No.1, pp.15-19, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1995.tb00191.x
- S. Kurtz, J. Silverman, and J. Draper, Teaching and learning communication skills in medicine, 2nd ed. Oxon Radcliffe, 2005.
- 박일환, "의과대학 교육과정에서의 의료커뮤니케 이션 교과목 구성", 의료커뮤니케이션, 제4권, 제1 호, pp.23-33, 2009.
- M. A. Stewart, B. J. Belle, and W. Wayne W, Patient-centered medicine: Transforming the clinical method, Sage Publications, 1995.
- M. Weinberger and J. Y. Greene, "Mamlin JJ. The impact of clinical encounter events on patient and physician satisfaction," Soc Sci Med E, Vol.15, No.1, pp.239-244, 1981.
- P. Maguire, S. Fairbairn, C. Fletcher, "Consultation skills of young doctors: I-Benefits of feedback training in interviewing as student's persist," Br Med J(Clin ResEd), Vol.292, No.1, pp.1573-1576, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.292.6535.1573
- B. J. Evan, R. Starleg, R. Mestrovic, and L. Rose, "Effects of communication skills training on student's dignostic efficiency," Med Educ, Vol.25, No.1, pp.517-526, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.1991.tb00105.x
- H. R. Winefield and A. ChurHansen, "Evaluating the outcome of communication skill teaching for entry-level medical students: dose knowledge of empathy increase?," Med Educ, Vol.34, No.2, pp.90-94, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2000.00463.x
- M. J. Yedidia, C. C. Gillespie, E. Kachur, M. D. Schwartz, J. Ocknene, and A. E, Chepaitis, "Effect of communication training on medical student performance," JAMA, Vol.290, No.1, pp.1157-1165, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.9.1157
- J. J. Han, M. J. Lee, and H. J. Im, "Comprehension of patient-physician interaction through analysis of relationship among domains in clinical performance examination," Korean J Med Educ, Vol.23, No.1, pp.177-184, 2010.
- G. Makoul, "The SEGUE framework for teaching and assessing communication skills," Patient Educ Couns, Vol.45, No.1, pp.23-34, 2000.
- S. Kurtz, J. Silverman, J. Bansen, J. Draper, "Marrying content and process in clinical method teaching: enhancing the Calgary- Cambridge guides," Acad Med, Vol.78, No.1, pp.802-809, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200308000-00011
- A. Kalet, M. P. Pugnaire, K. Cole-Kelly, R. Janicik, E. Ferrara, and M. D. Schwartz, "Teaching communication in clinical clerkships: models from the macy initiative in health communications," Acad Med, Vol.79, No.1, pp.511-520, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200406000-00005
- E. B. Yang, "Teaching and learning communication skills in medical education," Korean J Med Educ, Vol.20, pp.99-107, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2008.20.2.99
- 이광자, "임상현장의 커뮤니케이션 문제점과 개선방향에 관한 연구", 의료커뮤니케이션, 제1권, 제1호, pp.33-45, 2006.
- J. John, "Improving quality through patientprovider communication," Journal of Health Care Marketing, Vol.11, No.1, pp.51-60, 1991.
- 유재웅, 김찬아, 최명일, "의사의 커뮤니케이션 스타일에 대한 환자의 인식이 재방문 의도에 미치는 영향", 한국광고홍보학보, 제12권, 제3호, pp.77-101, 2010.
- R. G. Hanmlin, A. D. Ellinger, and R. S. Beattie, "The Emergent 'Coaching Industry' : A Wake-up Call for HRD Professionals," Human Resource Development International, Vol.11, No.3, pp.287-305, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/13678860802102534
- D. McGregor, The Human Side of Enterprise, New York : McGrow Hill, 1960.
- 조성진, 송계충, "코칭 효과 연구를 위한 코칭 프 로그램 개발과 평가", 인적자원개발연구, 제13권, 제1호, pp.27-74, 2010.
- G. R. Collins, Christian Coaching, Colorado Springs : New Press, 2001.
- 신희선, "의사소통 교육에서 코칭의 수사학", 수사학, 제15집, pp.215-261, 2011.
- 왕경수, 권선이, 한금옥, "AP Now 부모코칭프로 그램이 어머니의 양육태도와 부모-자녀 의사소통에 미치는 효과", 교육문제연구, 제16권, 제1호, pp.73-95, 2010.
- M. Cook, Effective Coaching. 서천석(역), 코칭의 기술, 서울: 지식공작소(원전2000), 2005.
- Y. M. Lee, and B. S. Kim, "Association between student perfomance in a medical communication skills course and Patient Physician interaction score on a clinical performance examination," Korean J Med Educ, Vol.20, No.1, pp.313-320, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2008.20.4.313
- R. Hargrove, Masterful Coaching, 박재원 외 (역), 마스터풀 코칭, 서울: 김앤김북스.(원전 2003) 2006.
- J. O'Connor and A. Lages, Coaching With NLP. 심교준.조선경(역), NLP 코칭, 서울: 도서 출판 해와달(원전2004), 2005.
- 백기락, Goals & Planning, 서울: 인크리션, 2006.
- 안윤식, 성취의 기술, 서울: 도서출판 브니엘, 2006.
- 전도근, 생산적 코칭, 서울: 북포스, 2006.
- S. Fairley and C. E. Stout, Getting Started in Personal and Executive Coaching : How to Create a Thriving Coaching Practice, John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- H. Waitzkin, "Doctor-patient communication : Clinical implications of social scientific research," Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol.252, No.17, pp2441-2446, 1995.
- 서판수, "의사의 커뮤니케이션 스타일이 환자만족에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 병원경영학회지, 제7권, 제4호, pp.57-101, 2002.
- 김홍자, "의사의 대화행위가 환자치료에 미치는 영향", 언어과학연구, 제33권 통권호, pp.59-87, 2005.
- 김정식, 이동우, 유호상, 윤태식, "코칭이 조직구 성원들의 직무만족과 조직몰입에 미치는 영향 : 자기효능감의 매개효과를 중심으로", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, Vol.11, No.7, pp474-386, 2011.
- Evaluation for Satisfaction of Doctor Coaching Program vol.14, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.12.895