- Volume 37 Issue 1
In this paper, ship accidents are analyzed briefly and the main objective is to investigate a potential technological approach for risk assessment of vessel stability. Ship nonlinear motion equation and main parameters that induce ship capsizing in beam seas have analyzed, the survival probability of a ferry in random status have estimated and finally find out a risk assessment concept for ship's intact stability estimation by safe basin simulation method. Since a few main parameters are considered in the paper, it is expected to be more accurately for estimating ship survival probability when considering ship rolling initial condition and all other impact parameters in the future research.
ship rolling;stability;capsizing;safe basin;survival probability
- Ahmed, T. M., Ballard, E. J. and Hudson, D. A.(2008), "A Non-Linear Numerical Method for the Simulation of Parametric Roll Resonance in Regular Waves", ASME 27th Internal Conference of Offshore Mechanical & Arctic Engineering 2008: Estoril, Portugal.
- Das, S. N., Shiraishi, S. and Das, S. K.(2010), "Mathematical modeling of sway, roll and yaw motions: order-wise analysis to determine coupled characteristics and numerical simulation for restoring moment's sensitivity analysis", Acta Mechanica, Vol. 213, No. 3, pp. 305-322. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-009-0278-9
- Lee, S. K., Surendran, S. and Lee, G.(2005), "Roll performance of a small fishing vessel with live fish tank", Ocean Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 14, pp. 1873-1885. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2004.11.011
- Long, Z. J., Lee, S. K. and Choi, H. S.(2010), "Risk Evaluation of Ship Dynamic Stability in Regular Waves", Journal of Marine Science and Technology, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 530-536.
- Long, Z. J., Lee, S. K. and Jeong, J. H.(2009), "Study for the Safeth of Ship's Nonlinear Rolling Motion in Beam Seas", Journal of Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 33, No. 9, pp. 629-634. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2009.33.9.629
- Neves, M. A. S., Rodriguez, C. A. and Vivanco, J. E. M. (2009), "On the limits of stability of ships rolling in head seas", Engineering Maritime Environment, Vol. 223, No. 4, pp. 517-530.
- Senjanovic, I., Cipric, G. and Parunov, J.(2000), "Survival analysis of fishing vessels rolling in rough seas", Philosophical Transactions: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol. 358, pp. 1943-1965. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2000.0622
- Strutt. J.(1992), "Overview of major accidents offshore in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Safety Analysis and Techniques Required for Formal Safety Assessments in the Shipping and Offshore Industries", London: Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology.
- Vidic-Perunovic, J.(2011), "Influence of the GZ calculation method on parametric roll prediction", Ocean Engineering, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 295-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.11.002
- Wang, J.(2005), "An analysis of fishing vessel accidents. Accident Analysis & Prevention", Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 1019-1024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2005.05.005
- Wang, J.(2006), "Maritime risk assessment and its current status. Quality and Reliability Engineering International", Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 3-19. https://doi.org/10.1002/qre.744
- Walree, F. V., (2011), "The specialist committee on stability in waves", The 26th International Towing Tank Conference. pp. 523-560.
- Wright, J. H. and Marshfield, W. B.(1980), "Ship roll response and capsize behaviour in beam seas", Transactions, Royal Institution of Naval Architects, Vol. 122, pp. 129-148.