- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Dynamics of Air Temperature, Velocity and Ammonia Emissions in Enclosed and Conventional Pig Housing Systems
- Song, J.I. (National Livestock Research Institute, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, K.H. (National Livestock Research Institute, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Jeon, J.H. (National Livestock Research Institute, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Choi, H.L. (Department of Food and Animal Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Barroga, A.J. (Department of Animal Science, Central Luzon State University)
- Received : 2011.12.27
- Accepted : 2012.03.24
- Published : 2013.03.01
This study aimed to compare the dynamics of air temperature and velocity under two different ventilation and housing systems during summer and winter in Korea. The
Conventional Pig Housing;Enclosed Pig Housing;Ammonia;Hydrogen Sulfide;Air Velocity
- Barker, J., S Curtis, O. Hogsett and F. Humenik. 1986. Safety in swine production systems. Pork Industry Handbook. p. 104.
- Bond, T. E., H. Heitman, Jr. and C. F. Kelly. 1965. Effects of increased air velocities on heat and moisture loss and growth of swine. Trans. ASAE. 8:167-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0372-1248(65)80010-8
- Brugger, M. F. and L. A. Brooks. 1977. Ventilation of dairy and other livestock building-design, operation and equipment. Univ. Wis. Ext. Bull. A2812.
- Choi, H. L., K. Y. Kim and H. Kim. 2005. Correlation of air pollutants and thermal environment factors in a confined pig house in winter. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:574-579.
- Choi, H. L., J. I. Song and H. K. Ahn. 2000. Field survey of structural and environmental characteristics of pig houses in the southern provinces in Korea. J. Lives. Hous. Env. 6:1-14.
- Curtis, S. E. 1983. Environmental managment in animal agriculture. University Extension Bulletin. Livestock Industry Facilities and Environment Ames, Iowa State University.
- Esmay, M. L. 1978. Principles of Animal Environment. AVI Publishing Company, Inc.
- Geers, R., E. Vranken, V. Goedlseels, D. Berkmans and F. Maes. 1988. Air temperature related behavioural problems and mortality rate of pigs. Livestock Environment III. ASAE Publication. 1-88, 343-348.
- Grub, W., E. P. Foerster and L. F. Tribble. 1974. Swine building air contaminant control with pit ventilation. Presented at the 1974 Winter Meeting. Paper No. 74-4532. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI, USA.
- Harmon, J. D. and J. Lawrence. 1995. Open vs enclosed swine finishing: making the decision. University Extension Bulletin. Livestock Industry Facilities and Environment Ames, Iowa State University.
- Harmon, J. D. and H. Xin. 1995. Environmental guidelines for confinement swine housing. University Extension Bulletin. Livestock Industry Facilities and Environment Ames, Iowa State University.
- MacDonald, R. 2005. Indoor air quality and ventilating systems in pig barns. Technical Article.http//www.engormix.com.
- MWPS 8. 1988. Swine housing and equipment handbook. 4th Edition. Midwest Plan Service, Ames, Iowa, USA.
- MWPS 32. 1990. Mechanical ventilating systems for livestock housing. First Edition. Midwest Plan Service, Ames, Iowa, USA.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1991. SAS Language and Procedures: Version 6. First Edition . SAS institute Inc. Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- Sainsbury, D. W. B. 1995. Pig health, environment and housing. In: The Health of Pigs (Ed. J. R. Hill and D. W. B. Sainsbury). Longmon Singapore Publishers (Pte) Ltd., Singapore. p. 69.
- Schauberger, G., M. Piringer and E. Petz. 2000. Dynamic model of the indoor climate inside livestock buildings: A case study for fattening pigs. Conference Paper. First International Swine Housing Conference. Iowa, October, 2000.
- Spillman, C. K. and C. N. Hinkle. 1971. Conduction heat transfer from swine to controlled temperature floors. Trans. ASAE 14: 301-303. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.38280
- Yoo, J. E., J. Y. Joo, S. C. Kim, C. S. Park, D. I. Chang, H. H. Chang and Y. I. Lim. 1998. Development of Korean pig-housing models for the optimum control of environmental systems. J. Lives. Hous. Env. 4:113-126.
- Wathes, C. M., K. Howard, C. D. R. Jones and A. J. F. Webster. 1983. Ventilation, air hygiene and animal health. Vet. Rec. 113: 554-559.
- Comparison of two housing systems on behaviour and performance of fattening pigs vol.47, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1561372