- Volume 37 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influence of Stress Shape Function on Analysis of Contact Problem Using Hybrid Photoelasticity
광탄성 실험 하이브리드 법에 의한 접촉응력 해석시 응력형상함수의 영향
- Shin, Dong-Chul (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Koje College) ;
- Hawong, Jai-Sug (School of Mechanical Engineering, Yeungnam Univ.)
- Received : 2012.08.02
- Accepted : 2012.11.12
- Published : 2013.03.01
In this research, a study on stress shape functions was conducted to analyze the contact stress problem by using a hybrid photoelasticity. Because the contact stress problem is generally solved as a half-plane problem, the relationship between two analytical stress functions, which are compositions of the Airy stress function, was similar to one of the crack problem. However, this relationship in itself could not be used to solve the contact stress problem (especially one with singular points). Therefore, to analyze the contact stress problem more correctly, stress shape functions based on the condition of two contact end points had to be considered in the form of these two analytical stress functions. The four types of stress shape functions were related to the stress singularities at the two contact end points. Among them, the primary two types used for the analysis of an O-ring were selected, and their validities were verified in this work.
- Hertz, H., 1896, "Miscellaneous Papers," Translated by Jones, D. E. and G. A., Macmillan, New York.
- Conway, H. D., 1956, "The Pressure Distribution Between Two Elastic Bodies in Contact," Z. Angew. Math. Phys., 7, pp. 460-465.
- Conway, T. F. and Seireg, A., 1971, "A Mathematical Programming Method for Design of Elastic Bodies in Contact," ASME, J. of Appl. Mech., pp. 387-392.
- Francavilla, A. and Zienkiewicz, O. C., 1975, "Note on Numerical Computation of Elastic Contact Problems," Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 913-924. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620090410
- Choi, D. H., 1986, "An Algorithmic Solution of for Traction Distribution in Frictional Contacts," Univ. of Wisconsin, Ph.D. Thesis.
- Hawong, J. S., Lin, C. H., Rhee, J. and Rowlands, R. E., 1995, "A Hybrid Method to Determine Individual Stresses in Orthotropic Composites Using Only Measured Isochromatic Data," J. of Comp. Mat., Vol. 29, No. 18, pp. 2366-2387. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199839502901801
- Shin, D. C., Hawong, J. S., Lee, H. J., Nam, J. H. and Kwon, O. S., 1998, "Application of Transparent Photoelastic Experiment Hybrid Method to the Fracture Mechanics of Isotropic Material," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 834-842.
- Shin, D. C., Hawong, J. S., Lee, H. J., Nam, J. H. and Kwon, O. S., 1998, "Application of Transparent Photoelastic Experiment Hybrid Method to the Fracture Mechanics of Orthotropic Material," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 1036-1044.
- Hawong, J. S., Shin, D. C. and Lee, H. J., 2001, "Photoelastic Experimental Hybrid Method for Fracture Mechanics of Anisotropic Materials," Exp. Mech., Vol. 41, No. 1, pp.310-318.
- Shin, D. C., Hawong, J. S. and Sung, J. H., 2003, "Development of Dynamic Photoelastic Experimental Hybrid Method for Propagating Cracks in Orthotropic Material," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 1273-1280.
- Shin, D. C., Hawong, J. S. and Nam, S. S., 2004, "Application of the Static Photoelastic Experimental Hybrid Method to the Crack Propagation Criterion for Isotropic Materials," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 1229-1236. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2004.28.8.1229
- Shin, D. C. and Hawong, J. S., 2011, "Development of a Hybrid Method of Reflection Photoelasticity for Crack Problems in Anisotropic Plates," Exp. Mech., Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 183-198. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11340-010-9348-0
- Baek, T. H., Chen, L. and Hong, D. P., 2011, "Hybrid Determination of Mixed-Mode Stress Intensity Factors on Discontinuous Finite-Width Plate by Finite Element and Photoelasticity," J. of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 10, pp. 2535-2543. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0740-1
- Chen, L., Jin, S., Lee, B. H., Kim, M. S. and Baek, T. H., 2010, "Analysis of Photoelastic Stress Field Around Inclined Crack Tip by Using Hybrid Technique," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34, No. 9, pp. 1287-1292. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.9.1287
- Hills, D. A., Nowell, D. and Sackfield, A., 1993, "Mechanics of Elastic Contacts," Butterworth- Heinemann Ltd.
- Kim, H. K., Nam, J. H., Hawong, J. S. and Lee, Y. H., 2009, "Evaluation of O-Ring Stresses Subjected to Vertical and One Side Lateral Pressure by Theoretical Approximation Comparing with Photoelastic Expermental Results," Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 1876-1882. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2008.09.028
- Nam, J. H., Hawong, J. S., Shin, D. C. and Mose, B. R., 2011, "A Study on the Behaviors And Stresses Of O-Ring Under Uniform Squeeze Rates And Internal Pressure By Transparent Type Photoelastic Experiment," J. of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 2427-2438. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0713-4
- Park, S. H., 2008, "Evaluation of the Large Deformation Behavior And The Effect Of Design Parameters Of O-Ring," Ph. D. Thesis, Chungnam National University.