- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Suggestions for Improvement of Connectivity between Railway Stations in Small and Medium-sized Cities Based on a Survey Focused on the Joongang Line
지방 중소도시 철도역 연계교통 실태조사와 정비 방향: 중앙선을 중심으로
- Choi, Chang-Ho (Department of Logistics and Transportation, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2012.12.12
- Accepted : 2012.12.27
- Published : 2013.02.28
This study discusses how transportation to connect railway stations in Korea's small and medium-sized cities can be improved, based on analysis of a survey on the Joongang Line. The analysis considered current problems in connectivity between parts of the Korean transportation system and suggests how to encourage more passengers to shift from private cars to railways. It was found that railway users in small and medium-sized cities hope for better connection between different modes of public transportation, especially for urban buses. However, there is not enough connectivity currently available; therefore it is crucial to establish a system of such connections, mainly focusing on urban buses. Furthermore, in order to minimize transfer distances and connect various transfer modes, plans for improvements of facilities are needed and governmental support should be provided.
- Korea Railroad Research Institute, et al. (2003) A study on basic outline for establishing connection transportation system of seoul-busan high speed railroad, Vol.1-4, Korea Railroad Research Institute, Yooshin Corporation, Dongil Engineering Consultants Co., Ltd.
- The National Assembly of the Republic of Korea (http://likms.assembly.go.kr/law/).
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (2009) Guideline on establishing outline for connection transportation system, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs Instructions No. 294(Enacted 2009.7.20).
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (2010) The first basic outline for developing multi-transfer center (2011-2015).
- S.C. Kim (2001) Methods to increase connecting facilities among wide-area public transportations, Land, 23, pp. 46-55.
- J.S. Lee, H.W. Kim(2003) A study on the integrated transfer system in railroad station, The Korean Society for Railway 2003 Spring Symposium Thesis Collection, pp.196-200.
- Y.J. Kwon (2007) Problems of transportation connection/transfer system and directions for improvement, Transportation Technology and Policy, 4(1), pp.94-102.
- J.H. Lee, et al. (2007) Study on ways of promoting connection transportation focusing on railway station, Korean Transportation Institute.
- D.S. Moon, Y.J. Kwon, H.W. Kim, K.T. Kim, B.H. Chung, H.L. Roh (2000) A passenger intermodal transportation system at the high speed rail station, The Korean Society for Railway Fall Symposium Thesis, pp.101-108.
- D.S. Yun, et al. (2004) Examining access area of the highspeed rail station and access mode choice behavior for intercity travel: A case study of Dong-Daegu station, Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements.
- K.S. Kim, S.H. Kim (2007) A study on the access travel area of the KTX Dong-Daegu station, Seoul City Study, 8(2), pp.133-144.
- D.S. Kang (2005) An analysis on the transportation connection system for high-speed train users: focused on the case of Kwangmyoung station, Ph.D. thesis, Graduate School of Administration, SungKyunKwan University.
- S.D. Kim (2011) Opening of KTX and Ulsan: plan for establishing connection transportation network, Ulsan Development Institute.
- C.H. Hong, Y.S. Oh, M.G. Shim (2010) A study on activation methods of connection system for Changwon & Masan station in Gyeongjeon line, The Korean Society for Railway 2010 Spring Symposium Thesis Collection, pp.703-721.
- S.Y. Park (2011) A study on case analysis and efficiency evaluation of transportation transfer center, master's degree thesis, ITS Graduate School, Ajou University.
- PIMAC (2010) The preliminary feasibility study on joongang railway line, Korea Development Institute.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (2011) Improvements on approaching and transferring in train stations, Ministry of land, Transport and maritime affairs press release.
- Forecasting Passenger Transport Demand Using Seasonal ARIMA Model - Focused on Joongang Line vol.17, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2014.17.4.307
- Development and Application of LOS (Level of Service) for Accessibility to Railway Stations vol.36, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2016.36.1.0115