- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of KTX Attendants' Emotional Labor on Emotional Exhaustion and Turnover Intention
KTX승무서비스 종사자의 감정노동이 감정소진과 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Tae-Seon (Department of Finance Account, KORAIL) ;
- Hur, Chan-Young (Department of Business Administration, Hannam University) ;
- HwangBo, Jak (Department of Railroad Management Information, Dongyang University)
- Received : 2012.12.24
- Accepted : 2013.01.28
- Published : 2013.02.28
This study analyzes how deep acting and surface acting, both classified as emotional labor, influence emotional exhaustion and turnover-intention for 263 KTX attendants. The followings are the summarized results of our analysis. First, the deep acting of KTX attendants does not affect emotional exhaustion, but surface acting was found to have a positive influence on emotional exhaustion. Second, the deep acting of KTX attendants had a positive impact on turnover-intention, but surface acting did not affect turnover-intention. Last, the emotional exhaustion of KTX attendants had a positive impact on turnover-intention. In conclusion, these results imply that it is important for employers to manage their employees' emotion in order to prevent turnover among KTX attendants.
- K.A. Lewig, M.F. Dollard (2003) Emotional dissonance, emotional exhaustion and job satisfaction in call center workers, European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 12(4), pp. 366-392. https://doi.org/10.1080/13594320344000200
- B.E. Ashforth, R.H. Humphrey (1993) Emotional labor in services roles: The influence of identity, The Academy of Management Review, 18(1), pp. 88-115.
- A.S. Wharton (1993) The affective consequences of service work, Work and Occupations, 20(2), pp. 205-232. https://doi.org/10.1177/0730888493020002004
- A.R. Hochschild (1983) The managed heart: Commercialization of human feeling, Psychology Press, Berkeley.
- E.A. Goodman, R.W. Boss (2002) The phase model of burnout and employee turnover, Journal of Healthl and Human Service Administration, 25(1), pp. 33-47.
- J.A. Morris, D.C. Feldman (1996) The dimensions, antecedents, and consequences of emotional labor, The Academy of Management Review, 21(4), pp. 986-1010.
- H.J. Freudenberger (1974) Staff burnout, Journal of Social Issues, 30(1), pp. 159-165.
- C. Maslach (1982) Burnout: The cost of caring, Englewood Cliffs, Prentice-Hall, NJ.
- M.J. Saxton, J.S. Philips, R.N. Blakeney (1991) Antecsdents and consequences of emotional exhaustion in the airline reservation, Service sector, Human Relations, 44(6), pp. 583-595. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679104400604
- H.J Koo, B.Y. Kim (2009) The study on internal customers' burnout by demographic characteristics in the casino industry, Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 21(3), pp. 291-313.
- A.A. Grandey (2003) When the show must go on: Surface acting and deep acting as determinants of emotional exhaustion and peer-rated service delivery, Academy of Management Journal, 46(1), pp. 86-96. https://doi.org/10.2307/30040678
- A.B. Bakker, E. Heuven (2006) Emotional dissonance, Burnout, and in-role performance among nurses and police officers, International Journal of Stress Management, 13(4), pp. 423- 440. https://doi.org/10.1037/1072-5245.13.4.423
- S.R. Kim, G. Kim (2010) Relations among emotional labor, burnout and customer orientation of employee in food service industry, Korea Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 24(1), pp. 119-136.
- H.S. Shin (2012) Effect of emotional labor on burnout and job satisfaction, International Journal of Contents, 12(7), pp. 415- 424. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.07.415
- C. Chiu, C. Lin, Y.H. Tsai, C. Hsiao (1995) modeling turnover intentions and their antecedents using the locus of control as a moderator: A case of customer service employees, Human Resource Development Quartely, 16(4), pp. 481-499.
- H.J. Lee (2012) Job stress among call center workers in travel agencies: Mediating the impact of work-family conflict and job burnout on turnover intention, Korean journal of Tourism Research, 27(1), pp. 231-250.
- J.H. Shin (2011) A study of emotional labor and job stress effects on job satisfaction and turnover intention of hotel and food service employees, Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 23(1), pp. 85-103.
- D.S. Chung (2009) An impact of emotional labor on the job satisfaction and turnover intention, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 11(6), pp. 3221-3234.
- S.M. Hwang, J.H. Yoon (2012) Impacts of flight attendants' emotional labor on burnout and turnover intentions in the airline industry, Korea Academic Society of Hotel Administration, 21(2), pp. 277-294.
- D.H. Ahn, J.C. Park (2009) The effect of emotional labor and emotional dissonance on burnout and turnover intention for the hotel's employee, International Journal of Contents, 9(9), pp. 335-345.
- C.M. Brotheridge, A.A. Grandey (2002) Emotional labor and burnout: comparing two perspectives of 'People Work', Journal of Vocational Behavior, 60(1), pp. 17-39. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- S.Y. Yoon (2010) A study on the emotional labor, burnout and turnover intention of airline call center workers, The Journal of Korea Navigation Institute, 14(1), pp. 1-10.
- J.H. Park (2009) The effect of job stress on burnout and job satisfaction and turnover intention for hotel employee, Journal of Hotel & Resort, 8(2), pp. 137-154.
- Y.S. Park (2011) A study on the correlation between emotional labor, Job Stress, Job burnout, Organizational commitment, and turnover intention of airline flight attendant, PhD Thesis, Dong-A University.
- C. Maslach, S.E. Jackson (1986) Maslach burnout inventory manual(2nd ed), Palo alto, Consulting psychologists press, CA.
- Y.J. Kim, J.H. Han (2008) Two types of emotional labor and their impacts on job burnout of service workers, Journal of Organization and Management, 32(3), pp. 95-128.
- D.M. Agung, F.G. Peter, A.R. David (2009) The turnover intentions of information systems auditors, International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 10(3), pp. 117-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.accinf.2009.03.001
- J.T. Lee, H.C. Kim (2011) The structural relationship of emotional labor, Jod stress, Job burnout, and Turnover intention: A case of sustomer contact employees in family restaurant, Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 23(3), pp. 299-317.
- The Effects of Emotional Burnout and Empowerment, and Organizational Commitment on Cooperation Behavior and Safety Behavior: Focus on Railway Controllers and Railway Engineers vol.16, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.5.430