- Volume 48 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Rubber Composites with Piezoresistive Effects
고무 복합재료의 압저항 효과
- Jung, Joonhoo (Department of Chemical Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Yun, Ju Ho (Enviromental Materials & Components R&D Center, Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Kim, Il (The WCU Center for Synthetic Polymer Bioconjugate Hybrid Materials, Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Shim, Sang Eun (Department of Chemical Engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2013.01.10
- Accepted : 2013.01.23
- Published : 2013.03.31
The term 'Piezoresistive effect' describes a change in the electrical resistance of the material from deformed to its original shape by the external pressure, e.g., elongation, compression, etc. This phenomenon has various applications of sensors for monitoring pressure, vibration, and acceleration. Although there are many materials which have the piezoresistive effect, rubber (nano)composites with conductive fillers have attracted a great deal of attention because the piezoresistive effect appears at the various range of pressure by controlling the type of filler, particle size, particle shape, aspect ratio of particles, and filler content. Especially one can obtain the composites with elasticity and flexibility by using the rubber as a matrix. This paper aims to review the piezoresistive effect itself, their basic principles, and the various conductive rubber-composites with piezoresistive effect.
Supported by : 지식경제부
- W. Thomson, "On the electro-dynamic qualities of metals:--effects of magnetization on the electric conductivity of nickel and of iron", Proc. R. Soc. Lodon., 8, 546 (1856). https://doi.org/10.1098/rspl.1856.0144
- J. W. Cookson, "Theory of the piezo-resistive effect", Phys. Rev., 47, 194 (1935).
- G. Canavese, M. Lombardi, S. Stassi and C. F. Pirri, "Comprehensive characterization of large piezoresistive variation of Ni-PDMS composites", Appl Mech Mater., 110, 1336 (2012).
- W. Brantley, "Calculated elastic constants for stress problems associated with semiconductor devices", J. Appl. Phys., 44, 534 (1973). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1661935
- D. França and A. Blouin, "All-optical measurement of in-plane and out-of-plane Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio in silicon wafers by means of vibration modes", Meas. Sci. Technol., 15, 859 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/15/5/011
- I. S. Sokolnikoff and R. D. Specht, 'Mathematical theory of elasticity'. McGraw-Hill New York 1956.
- H. Rolnick, "Tension coefficient of resistance of metals", Phys. Rev., 36, 506 (1930). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.36.506
- X. W. Zhang, Y. Pan, Q. Zheng and X. S. Yi, "Piezoresistance of conductor filled insulator composites", Polym. Int., 50, 229 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0126(200102)50:2<229::AID-PI612>3.0.CO;2-U
- G. Ruschau, S. Yoshikawa and R. Newnham, "Resistivities of conductive composites", J. Appl. Phys., 72, 953 (1992). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.352350
- K. Ohe and Y. Naito, "A new resistor having an anomalously large positive temperature coefficient", Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 10, 99 (1971). https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.10.99
- J. G. Simmons, "Electric tunnel effect between dissimilar electrodes separated by a thin insulating film", J. Appl. Phys., 34, 2581 (1963). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1729774
- J. G. Simmons, "Generalized formula for the electric tunnel effect between similar electrodes separated by a thin insulating film", J. Appl. Phys., 34, 1793 (1963). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1702682
- J. G. Simmons, "Low‐Voltage Current‐Voltage Relationship of Tunnel Junctions", J. Appl. Phys., 34, 238 (1963). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1729081
- J. G. Simmons and G. J. Unterkofler, "Potential Barrier Shape Determination in Tunnel Junctions", J. Appl. Phys., 34, 1828 (1963). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1702693
- M. Knite, V. Teteris, A. Kiploka and J. Kaupuzs, "Polyisoprene-carbon black nanocomposites as tensile strain and pressure sensor materials", Sens. Actuators A., 110, 142 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2003.08.006
- Z. M. Dang, M. J. Jiang, D. Xie, S. H. Yao, L. Q. Zhang and J. Bai, "Supersensitive linear piezoresistive property in carbon nanotubes/silicone rubber nanocomposites", J. Appl. Phys., 104, 024114 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2956605
- L. Wang, T. Ding and P. Wang, "Effects of compression cycles and precompression pressure on the repeatability of piezoresistivity for carbon black‐filled silicone rubber composite", J. Polym. Sci. B, Polym. Phys., 46, 1050 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1002/polb.21438
- M. K. Abyaneh and S. K. Kulkarni, "Giant piezoresistive response in zinc-polydimethylsiloxane composites under uniaxial pressure", J. Phys. D, 41, 135405 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/41/13/135405
- L. Chen, G. Chen and L. Lu, "Piezoresistive Behavior Study on Finger‐Sensing Silicone Rubber/Graphite Nanosheet Nanocomposites", Adv. Funct. Mater., 17, 898 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.200600519
- D. Y. Jeong, J. Ryu, Y. S. Lim, S. Dong and D. S. Park, "Piezoresistive TiB2/silicone rubber composites for circuit breakers", Sens. Actuators A., 149, 246 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2008.11.022
- T. del Castillo-Castro, M. Castillo-Ortega, J. Encinas, P. Herrera Franco and H. Carrillo-Escalante, "Piezo-resistance effect in composite based on cross-linked polydimethylsiloxane and polyaniline: potential pressure sensor application", J. Mater. Sci., 47, 1794 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-011-5965-y
- W. Luheng, D. Tianhuai and W. Peng, "Influence of carbon black concentration on piezoresistivity for carbon-black-filled silicone rubber composite", Carbon, 47, 3151 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2009.06.050
- T. Ding, L. Wang and P. Wang, "Changes in electrical resistance of carbon‐black‐filled silicone rubber composite during compression", J. Polym. Sci. Part B: Polym. Phys., 45, 2700 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/polb.21272
- L. Wang, T. Ding and P. Wang, "Effects of instantaneous compression pressure on electrical resistance of carbon black filled silicone rubber composite during compressive stress relaxation", Composites Sci. Technol., 68, 3448 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2008.08.018
- L. Wang, T. Ding and P. Wang, "Research on stress and electrical resistance of skin-sensing silicone rubber/carbon black nanocomposite during decompressive stress relaxation", Smart Mater. Struct., 18, 065002 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/18/6/065002
- A. Job, F. Oliveira, N. Alves, J. Giacometti and L. Mattoso, "Conductive composites of natural rubber and carbon black for pressure sensors", Synth. Met., 135, 99 (2003).
- D. Bloor, K. Donnelly, P. Hands, P. Laughlin and D. Lussey, "A metal-polymer composite with unusual properties", J. Phys. D., 38, 2851 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/38/16/018
- M. Hussain, Y. H. Choa and K. Niihara, "Fabrication process and electrical behavior of novel pressure-sensitive composites", Composites. Part A., 32, 1689 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-835X(01)00035-5