- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Lubrication Characteristics of Micro-Textured Slider Bearing: Effect of Dimple Density
Micro-Texturing한 Slider Bearing의 윤활특성 : 딤플 밀도의 영향
- Park, Tae Jo (School of Mechanical Engineering, ERI, Gyoungsang Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Joon Oh (Graduate School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Gyoungsang Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2012.07.09
- Accepted : 2013.01.02
- Published : 2013.04.01
In recent times, surface texturing methods have been widely applied to reduce friction and improve the reliability of machine components such as parallel thrust bearings, mechanical face seals, and piston rings. In this study, a numerical analysis is carried out to investigate the effect of uniformly spaced hemispherical dimples on the lubrication characteristics of a slider bearing using a commercial computational fluid dynamics (CFD) code, FLUENT. The pressure distributions, load capacity, leakage flowrate, and friction force are strongly affected by the dimple diameter and the number of dimples. In particular, the load capacity and friction force decrease linearly with the dimple density whereas the leakage increases. These results can be used for designing the optimum dimple characteristics in order to improve the lubrication performance of slider bearings, for which further studies are required.
Slider Bearing;Surface Texturing;micro-Dimple;Friction Reduction;CFD
- Fowell, M., Olver, A. V., Gosman, A .D., Spikes, H. A. and Pegg, I., 2007, "Entrainment and Inlet Suction: Two Mechanisms of Hydrodynamic Lubrication in Textured Bearings," J. of Tribology, Vol. 129, pp. 336-347. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2540089
- Marian, V. G., Gabriel, D., Knoll, G. and Filippone, S., 2011, "Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of a Laser Textured Thrust Bearing," Tribology Lett., Vol. 44, pp. 335-343. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11249-011-9857-8
- Shi, X., and Ni, T., 2011, "Effects of Groove Textures on Fully Lubricated Sliding with Cavitation," Tribology Int., Vol. 44, pp. 2022-2028. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2011.08.018
- Park, T. J. and Hwang, Y. G., 2009, "Lubrication Characteristics of Laser Textured Parallel Thrust Bearing : Part 1-Effect of Dimple Depth," J. of KSTLE, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 305-310.
- Park, T. J. and Hwang, Y. G., 2010, "Lubrication Characteristics of Laser Textured Parallel Thrust Bearing : Part 2-Effect of Dimple Location," J. of KSTLE, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 1-6.
- Park, T. J., 2011, "Lubrication Characteristics of Laser Textured Parallel Thrust Bearing : Part 3-Effect of Number of Dimples," J. of KSTLE, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 302-307. https://doi.org/10.9725/kstle.2011.27.6.302
- Park, T. J., 2011, "Lubrication Characteristics of Laser Textured Parallel Thrust Bearing : Part 4-Effect of Dimple Shape," J. of KSTLE, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 338-343. https://doi.org/10.9725/kstle.2011.27.6.338
- Lee, J. O., Jeong, Y. H., Jang, M., J. and Park, T. J., 2011, "Lubrication Characteristics of a Micro-textured Slider Bearing," Proc. of KSTLE 2011 Fall Conf., pp. 139-140.
- FLUENT, 2009, FLUENT 12.1.2 Manual.
- McNickle, A. D. and Etsion, I., 2004, "Near-Contact Laser Surface Textured Dry Gas Seals," J. of Tribology, Vol. 126, pp. 788-794. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1792695
- Brizmer, V., Kligerman, Y. and Etsion, I., 2003, "A Laser Surface Textured Parallel Thrust Bearing," Tribology Trans., Vol. 46, pp. 397-403. https://doi.org/10.1080/10402000308982643
- Etsion, I., 2005, "State of the Art in Laser Surface Texturing," J. of Tribology, Vol. 127, pp. 248-253. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1828070
- Feldman, Y., Kligerman, Y., Etsion, I. and Haber, S., 2006, "The Validity of the Reynolds Equation in Modeling Hydrostatic Effects in Gas Lubricated Textured Parallel Surfaces," J of Tribology, Vol. 128, pp. 345-350. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2148419
- Brajdic-Mitidieri, P., Gosman, A. D., Ioannnides, E. and Spikes, H. A., 2005, "CFD Analysis of a Low Friction Pocketed Pad Bearing," J. of Tribology, Vol. 127, pp. 803-812. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2032990
- de Kraker, A., van Ostayen, R. A. J., van Beek, A. and Rixen, D. J., 2007, "A Multiscale Method Modelling Surface Texture Effects," J. of Tribology, Vol. 129, pp. 221-230. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2540156