- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Experimental and Finite Element Study of Tribological Characteristics of SU-8 Thin Film
실험 및 유한요소해석에 의한 SU-8 박막의 Tribological 특성 연구
- Yang, Woo Yul (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.) ;
- Shin, Myounggeun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.) ;
- Kim, Hyung Man (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.) ;
- Han, Sangchul (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.) ;
- Sung, In-Ha (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.)
- Received : 2012.07.17
- Accepted : 2012.12.02
- Published : 2013.04.01
In this study, two-dimensional finite element models were developed and experiments were conducted using an atomic force microscope to investigate the tribological characteristics of an SU-8 layer coated on a patterned wafer for microsystem applications. The results revealed that both the adhesion and the friction forces measured by the atomic force microscope were lower for the SU-8 coated surface than for the bare silicon surface. This is attributed to the hydrophobicity of SU-8. Another important result derived from the finite element analysis was the critical load required to fracture the SU-8 film with respect to the thickness. The critical loads for thicknesses of 200, 400, and 800 nm were approximately 13, 22, and 28 mN, respectively, which corresponded to a Hertzian contact pressure of 1.2-1.8 GPa. These results will aid in the design of a suitable SU-8 thickness for microsystem components that are in contact with one another.
SU-8 Photoresist;Friction;Adhesion;Finite Element Analysis;Atomic Force Microscope;Critical Load
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Rymuza, Z., 2007, "Tribology of Polymers," Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, Vol. VII, No. 4, pp.177-184.
- Yamaguchi, Y., 1990, Tribology of Plastic Materials, Tribology Series, Vol. 16, Elsevier, New York.
- Imperial College Press ed., Polymer Tribology, Chapter 1, World Scientific Publishing, 2009.
- Hammerschmidt, J. A., Gladfelter, W. L. and Haugstad, G., 1999, "Probing Polymer Viscoelastic Relaxations with Temperature-Controlled Friction Force Microscopy," Macromolecules, Vol. 32, pp. 3360-3367. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma981966m
- Forrest, J. A., Dalnoki-Veress, K. and Dutcher, J. R., 1997, "Interface and Chain Confinement Effects on the Glass Transition Temperature of Thin Polymer Films," Physical Review E, Vol. 56, pp. 5705-5716. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.56.5705
- Yu, H., Balogun, O., Li, B., Murray, T. W., and Zhang, X., 2006, "Fabrication of Three-Dimensional Microstructures Based on Singled-Layered SU-8 for Lab-on-Chip Applications," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 127, No. 2, pp. 228-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2005.08.033
- Yu, H., Balogun, O., Li, B., Murray, T. W., and Zhang, X., 2004, "Building Embedded Microchannels Using a Single Layered SU-8 and Determining Young's Modulus Using a Laser Acoustic Technique," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 1576-1584. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/14/11/020
- Singh, R. A., Satyanarayana, N., Kustandi, T. S. and Sinha, S. K., 2011, "Tribo-Functionalizing Si and SU8 Materials by Surface Modification for Application in MEMS/NEMS Actuator-Based Devices," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 44, 015301. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/44/1/015301
- Son, Y., Lim, T. W., Yang, D. Y., Yi, S. W., Kong, H. J. and Park, S. H., 2008, "Study on Process Parameters of a SU-8 Resin in Two-Photon Stereolithography for the Fabrication of Robust Three-dimensional Microstructures," Journal of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 130-137.
- Choi, I., Wang, H., Choi, K. S. and Kim, H. M., 2010, "Numerical Analysis-Based Design of PEMFC Channel, Fabrication of Channels, and Performance Test Using SU-8," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 349-354. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2010.34.4.349
- Lawrence, C. J., 1988, "The Mechanics of Spin Coating of Polymer Films," Physics of Fluids, Vol. 31, No. 10, pp. 2786-2795. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.866986
- Sader, J. E., Chon, J. W. M. and Mulvaney, P., 1999, "Calibration of Rectangular Atomic Force Microscope Cantilevers," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 70, pp. 3967-3969. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1150021
- Green, C. P., Lioe, H., Cleveland, J. P., Proksch, R., Mulvaney, P. and Sader, J. E., 1995, "Normal and Torsional Spring Constants of Atomic Force Microscope Cantilevers," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 75, pp. 1988-1996.
- Ogletree, D. F., Carpick, R. W. and Salmeron, M., 1996, "Calibration of Frictional Forces in Atomic Force Microscopy," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 67, pp. 3298-3306. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1147411
- De, S., Hong, J. and Bathe, K., 2003, "On the Method of Finite Spheres in Applications: Towards the use with ADINA and in a Surgical Simulator," Computational Mechanics, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 27-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-002-0390-3
- Cappella, B. and Dietler, G., 1999, Force-Distance Curves by Atomic Force Microscopy, Surface Science Reports, Vol. 34, No. 1-3, pp. 5-104.
- Waltman, R. J. and Guo, X.-C., 2012, "AFM Force-Distance Curves for Perfluoropolyether Boundary Lubricant Films as a Function of Molecular Polarity," Tribology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 275-289. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11249-011-9887-2
- Williams, J. A. and Le, H. R., 2006, "Tribology and MEMS," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 39, pp. 201-204. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/39/12/R01
- Kim, D.E., Cha, K. H. and Sung, I. H., 2002, "Design of Surface Micro-Structures for Friction Control in Micro-Systems Applications," CIRP Annals, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 495-498. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)61569-8
- Baumgart, P., Krajnovich, D. J., Nguyen, T. A. and Tam, A. C., 1995, "A New Laser Texturing Technique for High Performance Magnetic Disk Drives," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics,Vol. 31, pp. 2946-2951. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.490199
- Abgrall, P., Conedera, V., Camon, H., Gue, A. M. and Nguyen, N. T., 2007, "SU-8 as a Structural Material for Labs-on-Chips and Microelectromechanical Systems," Electrophoresis, Vol. 28, pp. 4539-4551. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.200700333
- Foulds, I. G. and Parameswaran, M., 2006, "A Planar Self-Sacrificial Multilayer SU-8-Based MEMS Process Utilizing a UV-Blocking Layer for the Creation of Freely Moving Parts," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 16, pp. 2109-2115. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/16/10/026
- Tay, N. B., Minn, M. and Sinha, S. K., 2011, "Polymer Jet Printing of SU-8 Micro-Dot Patterns on Si Surface: Optimization of Tribological Properties," Tribology Letters, Vol. 42, pp. 215-222. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11249-011-9765-y
- Tay, N. B., Minn, M. and Sinha, S. K., 2011, "A Tribological Study of SU-8 Micro-Dot Patterns Printed on Si Surface in a Flat-on-Flat Reciprocating Sliding Test," Tribology Letters, Vol. 44, pp. 167-176. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11249-011-9835-1
- Jiguet, S., Judelewicz, M., Mischler, S., Hofmann, H., Bertsch, A. and Renaud, P., 2006, "SU-8 Nanocomposite Coatings with Improved Tribological Performance for MEMS," Surface & Coatings Technology, Vol. 201, No. 6, pp. 2289-2295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2006.03.041