- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Formability and Mechanical Characteristic for Hot Forming Quenching in Sheet Forming of Al6061 Alloy
Al6061 판재성형에서 핫 포밍 ��칭의 성형성 및 기계적 특성 평가
- Ko, Dae Hoon (Precision Manufacturing System Division, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jae Hong (Precision Manufacturing System Division, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Chan Joo (Dongnam Regional Division, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology) ;
- Ko, Dae Cheol (Industrial Liaison Innovation Center, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Byung Min (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.)
- 고대훈 (부산대학교 정밀가공시스템) ;
- 김재홍 (부산대학교 정밀가공시스템) ;
- 이찬주 (부산대학교 IFAM 국제공동연구소) ;
- 고대철 (부산대학교 부품소재산학협력연구소) ;
- 김병민 (부산대학교 기계공학부)
- Received : 2012.08.22
- Accepted : 2012.12.05
- Published : 2013.04.01
In aluminum sheet metal forming, the conventional forming methods of T4 or T6 heat-treated sheets result in low formability and dimensional accuracy. This study suggests a new forming method for aluminum sheets called as hot forming quenching (HFQ) that solves the problems faced in the conventional method. HFQ combines the heat treatment and forming processes through the forming die during the quenching of a solid solution. To evaluate the application of HFQ to the sheet forming of aluminum, an Erichsen and V-bending test are performed in this study to measure the dimensional accuracy and formability, which are then compared with those of the conventional forming method. Furthermore, the strength and hardness of the products formed by HFQ are measured to confirm the degradation in mechanical properties compared with the conventional forming method, which shows the validity of the application of HFQ to aluminum sheet metal forming.
Hot Forming Quenching;Solid Solution Heat Treatment;Erichsen Test;V-bending Test;Formability
Supported by : 한국산업기술재단, 한국연구재단
- Kim, H. S. and Muammer, K., 2008, "Numerical Investigations on Springback Characteristics of Aluminum Sheet Metal Alloys in Warm Forming Conditions," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 204, pp. 370-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.11.059
- Toros, S., Ozturk, F. and Kacar, I, 2008, "Review of Warm Forming of Aluminum-Magnesium," Journal of Material Processing Technology, Vol. 207, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.03.057
- Mahabunphachai, S. and Koc, M., 2010, "Investigation on Forming of Aluminum 5052 and 6061 Sheet Alloys at Warm Temperature," Materials and Design, Vol. 31, pp. 2422-2434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.11.053
- Daoming, L. and Amit, K. G., 2004, "Biaxial Warm Forming Behavior of Aluminum Sheet Alloys," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 145, pp. 281-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2003.07.003
- Wang, H., Luo, Y. B., Peter, F. Chen, M. H. and Gao, L., 2012, "Warm Forming Behavior of High Strength Aluminum Alloy AA7075," Transaction of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, Vol. 22, pp. 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(11)61131-X
- Sheppard, T., 1999, Extrusion of Aluminum Alloys, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- David, D. H. and Issam, M., 1996, "Optimization of Quench History of Aluminum Parts for Superior Mechanical Properties," Int. Jour. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 39, No.1, pp. 81-85 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(96)85008-3
- Myhr, O. R., Grong, O. and Andersen, S. J., 2001, "Modeling of the Age Hardening Behaviour of Al-Mg-Si Alloys," Acta Materialia, Vol. 49, pp. 65-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(00)00301-3
- Tanner, D. A. and Robinson, J. S., 2004, "Effect of Precipitation During Quenching on the Mechanical Properties of the Aluminum Alloy 7010 in the Wtemper," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 153-154, pp. 998-1004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2004.04.226
- Schikorra, M., Donati, L., Tomesani, L. and Tekkaya, E., 2007, "Microstructure Analysis of Aluminum Extrusion: Grain Size Distribution in AA6060, AA6082 and AA7075 Alloys," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 21, pp. 1445-1451. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03177357
- ASTM E643-09, Standard Test Method for Ball Punch Deformation of Metallic Sheet Material.
- Zhongqi, Y., Zhongqin, L. and Yixi, Z., 2007, "Evaluation of Fracture Limit in Automotive Aluminum Alloy Sheet Forming," Material and Design, Vol. 203, pp. 203-207.
- Wang, Z. J., Li, Y., Liu, J. G. and Zhang, Y. H., 2007, "Evaluation of Forming Limit in Viscous Pressure Forming of Automotive Aluminum Alloy 6k21-T4 Sheet," Transaction of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, Vol. 17, pp. 1169-1174. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(07)60244-1
- Yu, Z. Q., Zhao, Y. X. and Lin, Z. Q., 2004, "Evaluation Parameter of Drawability of Automotive Aluminum Alloy Sheets," The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 1689-1693.
- Mohamed, S. M., Alistair, D. F., Jianguo, L., Daniel, S. B. and Trevor, A. D., 2012, "Investigation of Deformation and Failure Features in Hot Stamping of AA6082: Experimentation and Modeling," International Journal of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol. 53, pp. 27-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2011.07.005
- Kim, C. I, Yang, S. H. and Kim, Y. S., 2012, "Prediction of Formability of Aluminum Alloy 5454 Sheet," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 179-186. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.2.179
- Miller, W. S., Zhuang, L., Bottenma, J., Wittebrood, A. J., Smet, P. D., Haszler, A. and Vieregge, A., 2000, "Recent Development in Aluminum Alloy for the Automotive Industry," Materials Science & Enginnering A, Vol. A280, pp.37-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(99)00653-X
- Zhongqi, Y., Zhongqi, L. and Zhao, Y., 2007, "Evaluation of Fracture Limit in Automotive Aluminum Alloy Sheet Forming," Materials & Design, Vol. 28, pp. 203-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2005.04.010
- Kim, Y. S., 1992, "Recent and Future Development of Stamping Technology for Aluminum Car Body Sheet," Trans. of the KSAE, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 3-12.
- Integrated hot forming and heat treatment process on Al6061 tailor rolled blank vol.18, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-017-0016-5