- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Compressive Residual Strength in Composite Material Under Impact Damage
충격 손상을 받은 항공기용 복합재료의 압축잔류강도 평가
- Ahn, Sang Soo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Hong, Suk Woo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Koo, Jae Mean (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Seok, Chang Sung (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.)
- Received : 2012.09.05
- Accepted : 2013.01.09
- Published : 2013.04.01
Carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRPs), a composite material, are generally vulnerable to compressive load and impact damage in a direction perpendicular to the surface of the material. In particular, during the operation of an aircraft, impact damages caused by bird collisions or falling tools reduce the strength of the aircraft structure. In this study, after impact damages were applied to CFRP specimens with various impact energies and impactor diameters, the compressive residual strength of the impact-damaged specimen was evaluated by performing a compression test. Furthermore, a prediction model for the compressive residual strength is proposed according to the variation in the impact energy by comparing the test results.
CFRP;Compressive Residual Strength;Impact Damage;Impactor Diameter
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Seo, M. K. and Park, S. J., 2010, "Manufacturing Method of Carbon Fibers and Their Application Fields," Polymer Science and Technology, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 130-140.
- Kang, M. S., Choi, J. H., Kim, S. Y., Koo, J. M. and Seok, C. S., 2010, "Evaluation of Residual Strength of Carbon/Epoxy Laminates Due to Low Velocity Impact Damage," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 102-108.
- Choi, J. H., Kang, M. S., Koo, J. M. and Seok, C. S., 2012, "Evaluation of Residual Strength Under Impact Damage in Woven CFRP Composites," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 654-663. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2012.29.6.654
- Caprino, G., 1983, "On the Prediction of Residual Strength for Notched Laminates," Journal of Material Science, Vol. 18, No. 8, pp. 2269-2273. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00541829
- Kang, K. W. and Kim, J. K., 2000, "Impact Damage Behavior and Evaluation of Residual Strength in Plain Woven Glass/Epoxy Composites," The International Journal Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 183-187, pp. 271-276. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.183-187.271
- Kim, J. H. and Kim, M. S., 1994, "A Study on Residual Strength Evaluation and Failure Mechanism for High Velocity Impacted CFRP," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 600-611.
- Mitrevski, T., Marshall, I. H. and Thomson, R. S., 2006, "The Influence of Impactor Shape on the Damage to Composite Laminates" Composite Structures, Vol. 76, No. 1-2, pp. 116-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2006.06.017
- Shim, V. P. W. and Yang, L. M., 2005, "Characterization of the Residual Mechanical Properties of Woven Fabric Reinforced Composites After Low-Velocity Impact," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 47, No. 4-5, pp. 647-665. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2005.01.014
- Choi, J. H., Kang, M. S., Shin, I. H., Koo, J. M. and Seok, C. S., 2010, "Evaluation of Residual Strength in Aircraft Composite Under Impact Damage," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 94-101.
- Kim, S. Y.,, Park, H. S., Kang, M. S., Choi, J. H., Koo, J. M., Seok, C. S., 2009, "Evaluation of Failure Strength of Woven CFRP Composite Plate Subject to Axial Load by Tan-Cheng Failure Criterion," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol.33, No.4, pp. 360-365. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.4.360
- ASTM D3410-Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials with Unsupported Gage Section by Shear Loading.
- ASTM D695-Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Rigid Plastics.
- Reeder, J. R., 1995, "Stitching vs A Toughened Matrix; Compression Strength Effects," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 29, No. 18, pp. 2464-2487. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199839502901805
- Camponeschi, E. T., Gillespie, J. W., and Wilkins, D. J., 1993, "Kink-Band Failure Analysis of Thick Composites in Compression," Journal of Composite Material, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 471-490. https://doi.org/10.1177/002199839302700502
- Haberle, J. G. and Matthews, F. L., 1993, "The Influence of Test Method on the Compressive Strength of Several Fiber-Reinforced Plastics," Journal of Advanced Materials, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 35-45.
- Wolfe, A. R., Weiner, M., 2004, "Compression Testing-Comparison of Various Test Methods," American Composites Manufacturers Association October 6-8, Composite 2004 convention and Trade Show.
- ASTM D7136-Standard Test Method for Measuring the Damage Resistance of a Fiber Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composite to a Drop Weight Impact Event
- Pinho, S. T., Robinson, P. and Iannucci, L., 2006, "Fracture Toughness of the Tensile and Compressive Fibre Failure Modes in Laminated Composites," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 66, No. 13, pp. 2069-2079. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2005.12.023
- Rosen, B.W., 1965 "Mechanics of Composite Strengthening," Fiber Composite Materials. City: American Society for Metals, pp. 37-75.
- Barbero, E. J., 2011, "Introduction to Composite Materials Design - 2nd," CRC Press, pp. 121-129.
- Papanicolaou, G. C. and Stavropoulos, Chr. D., 1995, "New Approach for Residual Compressive Strength Prediction of Impacted CFRP Laminates," Composites, Vol. 26, pp. 517-523. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4361(95)96809-K