- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Compliant Mechanism Topology Optimization of Metal O-Ring
금속오링씰의 컴플라이언트 메커니즘 위상최적설계
- Kim, Geun-Hong (National Fusion Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Young-Shin (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Yang, Hyung-Lyeol (National Fusion Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.11.01
- Accepted : 2012.12.10
- Published : 2013.04.01
The elastic recovery of a metal seal is a factor that can be used to assess its sealing performance. In this study, a compliant mechanism topology optimization has been performed to find a structure of a metal O-ring seal that can maintain excellent sealing performance with a maximized elastic recovery over extended operation. An evolutionary structural optimization (ESO) was used as a topology optimization algorithm with two different types of objective functions considering both flexibility and stiffness. In particular, a circular design domain was adopted to consider the outer shape of the metal O-ring seal. The elastic recovery of the optimal topology was calculated and compared to that of a commercial product.
Topology Optimization;Compliant Mechanism;Metal O-ring Seal;Elastic Recovery;Design Domain
- Nonogaki, H., 2003, "Long-Term Performance Evaluation of a Metal Gasket TRYPACK," Valqua Technology News, No. 6, pp. 1-5.
- Kim, H. S. and Lee, Y. S., 2008, "Optimization Design Technique for Reduction of Sloshing by Evolutionary Methods," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 25-331. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-007-1003-z
- Kim, G. H., Lee, Y. S. and Bak, J. S., 2004, "A Study on the Supporting Location Optimization for a Structure Under Non-Uniform Load Using Genetic Algorithm," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 28, No. 10, pp. 1558-1565. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2004.28.10.1558
- Lee, Y. S., Ryu, C. H and Myung. C. M., 2001, "A Study on the Ranked Bidirectional Evolutionary Structural Optimization," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 1444-1451.
- Sigmund, O., 1997, "On the Design of Compliant Mechanism using Topology Optimization," Mechanics of Structures and Machines, Vol. 25, pp. 493-524. https://doi.org/10.1080/08905459708945415
- Roth, A., 1970, "The Influence of the Surface Roughness on the Specific Leak Rate of the Gasket Seals," Vacuum, Vol. 20, pp. 431-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0042-207X(70)80056-2
- Erdman, G. G. and Sandor, G. N., 1991, " Mechanisms Design: Analysis and Synthesis," Prentice Hall.
- Hetrick, J. A., 1999, "An Energy Efficiency Approach for Unified Topological and Dimensional Synthesis of Compliant Mechanisms," Doctoral Dissertation, University of Michigan.
- Howell, L. L., 2001, "Compliant Mechanisms," John Wiley & Sons.
- Ansola, R., Vequeria, E., Canales, J. and Tarrago, J. A., 2007, "A Simple Evolutionary Topology Optimization Procedure for Compliant Mechanism Design," Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 44, pp. 53-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2007.09.002
- Sigmund, O. and Petersson, J., 1998, "Numerical Instabilities in Topology Optimization: A Survey on Procedures Dealing with Checkerboards, Mesh Dependencies and Local Minima," Structural Optimization, Vol. 16, pp. 68-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01214002
- Huang, X. and Xie, Y. M., 2010, "Evolutionary Topology Optimization of Continuum Structures," John Wiley & Sons.
- Clevel, M and Pineau, A., 1982, " Fatigue Behavior of Two Nickel-base Alloys I: Experimental Results on Low Cycle Fatigue, Fatigue Crack Propagation and Substructures," Material Science and Engineering, Vol. 55, pp. 157-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-5416(82)90129-X
- Kim, G. H., Bak, J. S. and Lee, Y. S., 2006, "Performance Evaluation of Metallic Seal for KSTAR Vacuum Vessel," Journal of the Korea Physical Society, Vol. 49, pp. 292-296.