- Volume 9 Issue 1
Recently, augmented reality has been proved immensely useful on a day to day basis when tied with location-based technology. In this paper, we present a new method for displaying augmented reality contents on mobile devices. We add 3D models on the view of the camera and use location-based services, motion sensors to calculate the transformation of models. Instead of remaining at a fixed position on camera view while moving around a 3D model, the model rotates on display in the opposite direction that the user is walking. We also design client as a ubiquitous client to reduce constraints on disk space and memory capacity on mobile devices. Implementation results show effective use in creating GPS-based 3D view augmented reality contents for Smart Mobile Devices.
Augmented Reality;Location-based;Positioning;3D Transformation;Mobile Sensors
- Chang, W.; Qing Tan, "Augmented Reality System Design and Scenario Study for Location-Based Adaptive Mobile Learning," 2010 IEEE 13th International Conference onComputational Science and Engineering (CSE), 2010, pp. 20 - 27.
- Hincapie, M.; Caponio, A.; Rios, H.; Mendivil, E.G., "An introduction to Augmented Reality with applications in aeronautical maintenance," 2011 13th International Conference onTransparent Optical Networks (ICTON), June 2011, pp. 1 - 4.
- Nate Hagbi, Oriel Bergig, Jihad El-Sana, Mark Billinghurst, "Shape recognition and pose estimation for mobile augmented reality,"Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, 2009, pp. 65 - 71.
- J.T. Doswell, M.B. Black, and J. Butcher-Green, "Mobile Augmented Reality System Architecture for Ubiquitous e-Learning," Fourth IEEE International Workshop on Wireless, Mobile and Ubiquitous Technology in Education, 2006. WMUTE '06, Nov. 2006, pp. 121 - 123.
- Jungsik Park Byung-Kuk Seo and Jong-Il Park, "3D visual tracking for mobile augmented reality applications," IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), July 2011, pp. 1 - 4.
- Liestøl, G., "Situated Simulations: A Prototyped Augmented Reality Genre for Learning on the iPhone," International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies iJIM, 3, 2009.
- Imagination Technologies Ltd. PowerVR Insider Utilities. http://imgtec.com/powervr/insider/powervr-utilities.asp.
- The Brenwill Workshop Ltd. The Brenwill Workshop. http://brenwill.com/cocos3d
- Kai Hormann, Sun-Jeong Kim, and David Levin Nira Dyn, "Optimizing 3D Triangulations Using Discrete Curvature Analysis," Mathematical Methods for Curves and Surfaces, 2000, pp. 135-146.
- Developer. iOS Dev Center. https://developer.apple.com/ devcenter/ios/index.action
- Wikipedia. Query String. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Query_string.
- Introducing JSON. http://www.json.org
- Azuma, R. T., "A Survey of Augmented Reality". Media, 6(4), vol. 6, 1997, pp. 355-385.
- Wither, J., DiVerdi, S., and Hollerer, T., Annotation in outdoor augmented reality, Computers & Graphics, Elsevier, 33(6), 2009, pp. 679-689. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cag.2009.06.001