- Volume 9 Issue 1
The study investigated USFK's crisis communication responding to the case of two Koran girls' death. The two girls were hit by an American tank accidently. The accident has resulted in anti-American demonstrations by a large number of South Korean. The current research attempted to see what problems USFK's crisis communication with Korean publics. Through analyzing USFK news release in Korea and Army News (ARNEWS) in America regarding the case, the study answered what crisis communication strategies USFK used and How the USFK responded to the crisis. The results showed that USFK used full apology strategy and its crisis response was immediate, but prior reputation of USFK seemed making USFK's effort fruitless.
Crisis;Crisis Communication;USFK;Korean Public and Reputation
- Augustine, N. R., "Managing the crisis you tried to prevent," Harvard Business Review, vol.73, 1995, pp. 147-158.
- Barry, R. A., "What to do when the roof falls in," Business Marketing, vol. 69, 1984, pp. 45-73.
- Benoit, W. L., "Image repair discourse and crisis communication," Public Relation Review, vol. 23, 1997, pp. 177-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-8111(97)90023-0
- Bromley, D. B. Reputation, image, and impression management. New York: Wiley, 1993.
- Carney, A., & Jorden, A., "Prepare for business-related crises," Public Relations Journal, vol. 49, 1993, pp. 34-35.
- Cho, S-H., & Gower, K., "The effect of framing on public's perception of crisis: Human interest frame effect on attribution to responsibility and blame," Public Relations Review, vol. 32, no. 4, 2006, pp. 420-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pubrev.2006.09.011
- Coombs, W. T., "An analytic framework for crisis situations: Better response from a better understanding of the situation," Journal of Public Relations Research, vol. 10, 1998, pp. 177-191. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532754xjprr1003_02
- Coombs, W. T., "Information and compassion in crisis responses: A test of their effects," Journal of Public Relations Research, Nov. 1999, pp. 125-142.
- Coombs, W. T., "Teaching the crisis management/ communication course," Public Relations Review, vol. 27, 2001, pp. 89-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-8111(01)00072-8
- Coombs, W. T., Deep and surface threats: conceptual and practical implications for "crisis" vs. "problem." Public Relations Review, vol. 28, 2002, pp. 339-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-8111(02)00167-4
- Coombs, W. T. On going crisis communication: Planning, managing, and responding. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. 2011.
- Coombs, W. T., & Holladay, S. J., "Communication and attributions in a crisis: An experimental study in crisis communication," Journal of Public Relations Research, vol. 8, no.4, 1996, pp. 279-295. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532754xjprr0804_04
- Coombs, W. T., & Holladay, S. J., "Helping crisis managers protect reputational assets initial tests of the situational crisis communication theory," Management Communication, vol. 16, no.2, 2002, pp. 165-186. https://doi.org/10.1177/089331802237233
- Dansereau, F., & Markham, S.E. Superior-subordinate communication: Multiple levels of analysis. In F. M. Jablin, L. L. Putnam, K. H. Roberts, & L. W. Porter (Eds.), Handbook of organizational communication: An interdisciplinary perspective (pp. 343-388). Beverly Hills, CA: Sage. 1987.
- Dionisopoulos, G., & Vibbert, S. L., "CBS vs. Mobile oil: Charges of creative bookkeeping in 1979," In H. R. Ryan (Ed.), Oratorical encounters. 1988 (pp. 241-251). New York: Greenwood. 1988.
- Fearn-Bank, K. Crisis Communication: A casebook approach. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc. 1996.
- Fink, S., "Crisis Management: Planning for the inevitable," AMACOM, New York: The Free Press, 1996, pp. 34.
- Hearit, K. M., "Apologies and public relations crises at Chrysler, Toshiba, and Volvo," Public Relations Review, vol. 20, 1994, pp. 113-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/0363-8111(94)90053-1
- Huey, B. Clarifying the differences between corporate brand and reputation, PR Week, vol. 5, no.1, 2002.
- Ihlen, O., "Defending the Mercedes A-Class: Combining and changing crisis-response strategies," Journal of Public Relations Research, vol. 14, 2002, pp. 185-206. https://doi.org/10.1207/S1532754XJPRR1403_2
- Kauffman, J, A successful failure: NASA's crisis communications regarding Apollo, 13, Public Relations Review, vol. 27, 2001, pp. 437-448. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-8111(01)00099-6
- Marra, F. J., "Crisis communication plans: Poor predictors of excellent crisis public relations," Public Relations Review, vol. 24, 1998, pp. 461-474. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-8111(99)80111-8
- McCroskey, J. C. An introduction to rhetorical communication. (7th ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon. 1997.
- Maynard, R., Handling a crisis effectively, Nations' Business. 12, 1993, pp. 54-55.
- Mitchell, T. H. (1986, Autumn). Coping with a corporate crisis. Canadian Business Review, vol. 13, Autumn, 1986, pp. 17-20.
- Pauchant, T. C. and Mitroff I. I., "Transforming the Crisis Prone Organization," San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1992, p 42.
- Richmond, V. P., & McCroskey, J. C. Organizational communication for survival. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall. 1992.
- Seeger, M. W., "Chaos and crisis: propositions for a general theory of crisis communication," Public Relations Review, vol. 28, 2002, pp. 330-337.
- Sen, F., & Egelhoff, W. G., "Six years and counting: Leaning from crisis management at Bhopal," Public Relation Review, vol. 17, 1991, pp. 69-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0363-8111(91)90007-8
- Ware, B. L., & Linkugel, W. A., "They spoke in defense of themselves: On the generic criticism of apologia," Quarterly Journal of Speech, vol. 59, 1973, pp. 273-283. https://doi.org/10.1080/00335637309383176