- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Aesthetic Implications of the Algorithm Applied to New Media Art Works : A Focus on Live Coding
뉴미디어 예술 작품에 적용된 알고리즘의 미학적 함의 : 라이브 코딩을 중심으로
- 오준호 (서강대학교 영상대학원)
- Received : 2013.01.17
- Accepted : 2013.03.06
- Published : 2013.03.28
This paper researches the algorithm, whose materiality and expressiveness can be obtained through live coding. Live coding is an improvised genre of music that generates sounds while writing code in real time and projecting it onto a screen. Previous studies of live coding have focused on the development environment to support live coding performance effectively. However, this study examines the aesthetic attitude immanent in the realization of the algorithm through analyzing mostly used languages such as ChucK, Impromtu, and the visualization of live code and cases of "aa-cell" and "slub" performance. The aesthetic attitudes of live coding performance can be divided into algebraic and geometric attitudes. Algebraic attitudes underline the temporal development of concepts; geometric attitudes highlight the materialization of the spatial structure of concepts through image schemas. Such a difference echoes the tension between conception and materiality, which appears in both conceptual and concrete poetry. The linguistic question of whether conception or materiality is more greatly emphasized defines the expressiveness of the algorithm.
Live Coding;Programming Language;Software Studies;Algorithm Studies;New Media Art
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- A. McLean, "Visualisation of Live Code," Proceedings of Electronic Visualisation and the Arts Conference, pp.26-30, 2010.
- Andrew Goffey, "Algorithm," in Matthew Fuller (ed.), Software Studies: A Lexicon, The MIT Press, pp.15-19, 2008.
- A. Mackenzie, "Intensive movement in wireless digital signal processing: From calculation to envelopment," Environment and Planning A, Vol.41, pp.1294-1308, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1068/a40351
- M. Fuller, "Introduction, the Stuff of Software," in Matthew Fuller (ed.), Software Studies: A Lexicon, The MIT Press, p.1, 2008.
- D. M. Berry, "Introduction: Understanding the Digital Humanities," in David M. Berry (ed.), Understanding Digital Humanities, Palgrave Macmillan, p.4, 2012.
- R. Kitchin and M. Dodge, Code/Space: Software and Everyday Life, The MIT Press, p.248, 2011.
- G. Cox and A. McLean, Speaking Code: Coding as Aesthetic and Political Expression, The MIT Press, p.6, 2013.
- IOhannes m Zmolnig and Gerhard Eckel, "Live Coding: An Overview," Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, pp.295-298, 2007.
- K. C. Louden, 김도형, 이수현, 창병모 공역, 프로그래밍 언어 제2판, 사이텍미디어, pp.1-16, 2005.
- K. C. Louden, 김도형, 이수현, 창병모 공역, 프로그래밍 언어 제2판, 사이텍미디어, pp.16-24, 2005.
- K. C. Louden, 김도형, 이수현, 창병모 공역, 프로그래밍 언어 제2판, 사이텍미디어, pp.28-36, 2005.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax_(programmi ng_languages)
- F. Cramer, "Language," in Matthew Fuller (ed.), Software Studies: A Lexicon, The MIT Press, p.169, 2008.
- Ge Wang and P. R. Cook, "On-the-fly Programming: Using Code as an Expressive Musical Instrument," Proceedings of the 2004 International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, pp.138-143, 2004.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impromptu_(progra mming_environment)
- A. Sorensen and H. Gardner, "Programming with time: Cyber-physical programming with Impromptu," Proceedings of the ACM international conference on Object oriented programming system languages, pp.822-834, 2010.
- A. McLean, "Visualization of Live Code," http://yaxu.org/writing/visualisation-of-live-co de.pdf.
- Andrew Sorensen and Andrew R. Brown, "aa-cell in practice: An approach to musical live coding," Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, pp.292-299, 2007.
- A. McLean and G. Wiggins, "Texture: Visual Notation for Live Coding of Pattern," Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, pp.621-628, 2011.
- G. Cox, A. McLean, and A. Ward, "The Aesthetics of Generative Code," http://ada.lynxlab.com/staff/steve/public/docu/li dia/docu/cox_aesthetics_generative_code.pdf
- F. Cramer, "Concepts, Notations, Software, Art,"http://www.netzliteratur.net/cramer/concep ts_notations_software_art.html
- K. Goldsmith, "Conceptual Writing: A Worldview,"http://www.poetryfoundation.org/ha rriet/2012/04/conceptual-writing-a-worldview/
- http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/goldsmith/Goldsm ith_ConceptualWriting.pdf
- M. Borkent, "The Materiality of Cognition: Concrete Poetry and the Embodied Mind," WRECK, Vol.3, No.1, pp.6-12, 2010.