- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Korean Suicide Risk Screening Tool and its Validity
한국형 자살위험 스크리닝 도구와 타당성
- Received : 2012.11.26
- Accepted : 2013.02.12
- Published : 2013.03.28
The early detection of suicidal ideation is essential for the prevention of suicide. This study aimed to develop a brief screening tool that can be easily administered in medical settings. The Suicide Risk Screening Tool was designed for use by physicians to provide a screening process that would be reliable, standardized, quick and feasible to implement. A 2-item screening tool was derived from the Screening for Depression and Thoughts of Suicide in the Norton Sound region of Alaska, USA. The scale was modified to reflect the current situation in Korea including the elimination of the personal identification number, and was labeled the Korean Suicide Risk Screening Tool. Its reliability and applicability for medical setting were examined by explanatory study of 7 clinicians. Its validity was examined among a further 325 patients of four different medical institutions, using the results of interviewer-administered survey included demographic, clinical characteristics, and present mental status as the external criterion. A brief 2-item suicide risk screening tool can be used by mental and non-mental health clinicians to accurately detect suicidality in patients.
Supported by : 보건복지부
- World Health Organization, Preventing suicide: a resource for general physicians, World Health Organization. 2000.
- 통계청, 2010년 사망원인통계 결과, 통계청, 2011.
- OECD, OECD Factbook 2011-2012: Economic, Environmental and Social Statistics, OECD Publishing, 2012.
- J. B. Luoma, C. E. Martin, and J. L. Pearson, "Contact with mental health and primary care providers before suicide: A review of the evidence," Am J Psychiatry, Vol.159, pp.909-916, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.159.6.909
- M. Miller, "Geriatric suicide: The Arizona study," Gerontol, Vol.18, pp.488-495, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/18.5_Part_1.488
- 보건복지부, 제2차 국가자살예방종합대책: 2009-2013, 보건복지부, 2008.
- 안정훈, "우울증, 자살, 그리고 한국사회", 대한의사협회지, 제55권, 제4호, pp.320-321, 2012.
- A. T. Beck, M. Kovacs, and A. Weissman, "Assessment of suicidal intention: The Scale for Suicide Ideation," J Consulting and Clin Psychol, Vol.47, pp.343-352, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.2.343
- W. E. Broadhead, A. C. Leon, M. M. Weissman, J. E. Barrett, R. S. Blacklow, T. T. Gilbert, M. B. Keller, M. Olfson, and E. S. Higgins, "Development and validation of the SDDS-PC screen for multiple mental disorders in primary care," Arch Fam Med, Vol.4, No.3, pp.211-219, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1001/archfami.4.3.211
- J. A. Niven, "Screening for depression and thoughts of suicide: a tool for use in Alaska's village clinics," Am Indian Alsk Native Ment Health Res, Vol.14, No.2, pp.16-28, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5820/aian.1402.2007.16
- R. L. Spitzer, J. B. Williams, K. Kroenke, M. Linzer, F. V. deGruy 3rd, S. R. Hahn, D. Brody, and J. G. Johnson, "Utility of a new procedure for diagnosing mental disorders in primary care. The PRIME-MD 1000 study," JAMA, Vol.272, No.22, pp.1749-56, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1994.03520220043029
- E. S. Paykel, J. K. Myers, J. J. Lindenthal, and J. Tanner, "Suicidal feelings in the general population," Br J Psychiatry, Vol.124, pp.460-469, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.124.5.460
- L. M. Horowitz, E. D. Ballard, and M. Pao, "Suicide screening in schools, primary care and emergency departments," Curr Opin Pediatr, Vol.21, No.5, pp.620-627, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.0b013e3283307a89
- E. G. Carmines and R. A. Zeller, Reliability and Validity Assessment. Series: Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences, SAGE Publications, Inc., 1979.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, and Seoul National University, Korea Welfare Panel Survey User's Guide, 2009, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2010.
- 정진욱, 이수형, 천재영, 김지은, 백종우, 서동우, 강은정. 의료인을 통한 자살예방체계 구축에 관한 연구, 보건복지부, 한국보건사회연구원, 2010.
- M. B. Wintersteen, "Standardized screening for suicidal adolescents in primary care," Pediatrics, Vol.125, No.5, pp.938-944, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-2458
- B. N. Gaynes, S. L. West, C. Ford, P. Frame, J. Klein, and K. N. Lohr, "Screening for suicide risk: A systematic evidence review for the US Preventive Services Task Force," Ann Intern Med, Vol.140, No.10, pp.822-835, 2004. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-140-10-200405180-00023
- M. P. Pignone, B. N. Gaynes, J. L. Rushton, C. M. Buchell, C. T. Orleans, C. D. Mulrow, and K. N. Lohr, "Screening for depression in adults: A summary of the evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force," Ann Intern Med, Vol.136, No.10, pp.765-776, 2002. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-136-10-200205210-00013
- H. Oyama, T. Sakashita, Y. Ono, M. Goto, M. Fujita, and J. Koida, "Effect of communitybased intervention using depression screening on elderly suicide risk: A meta analysis of the evidence from Japan," Community Ment Health J, Vol.44, No.5, pp.311-320, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-008-9132-0
- H. Oyama, J. Koida, T. Sakashita, and K. Kudo, "Community-based prevention for suicide in elderly by depression screening and follow-up," Community Ment Health J, Vol.40, No.3, pp.249-263, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:COMH.0000026998.29212.17
- I. Razykov, R. C. Ziegelstein, M. A. Whooley, and D. B. Thombs, "The PHQ-9 versus the PHQ-8-Is item 9 useful for assessing suicide risk in coronary artery disease patients? Data from the Heart and Soul Study," J Psychosomatic Res, Vol.73, No.3, pp.163-168, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2012.06.001
- J. Walker, C. H. Hansen, I. Butcher, N. Sharma, L. Wall, G. Murray, and M. Sharpe, "Thoughts of Death and Suicide Reported by Cancer Patients Who Endorsed the "Suicidal Thoughts" Item of the PHQ-9 During Routine Screening for Depression," Psychosomatics, Vol.52, No.5, pp.424-427, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psym.2011.02.003
- Validation of the Korean Depressive Symptom Inventory-Suicidality Subscale vol.14, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4306/pi.2017.14.5.577