- Volume 13 Issue 3
While rural highways carry on lower traffic volumes, the deviations of running speeds between vehicles appear to be higher on rural highways than urban highways. The speed characteristic of rural highways is adding to pedestrian-related accidents which occur on a crosswalk with poor sight distance due to the limits of car headlights and lighting. Specially, the aged was mostly occupied in nighttime-related accidents on crosswalks, and pedestrians crossing on the far side of approaching vehicles appear to have the probability of fatality higher than the near side. An alternative is needed to resolve the compounded accidents, and then this study is to establish a new approach to an optimum lighting environment on a crosswalk to improve pedestrian safety. This study was conducted by a survey and a field study on the lighting of existing crosswalks. The field study shows that the existing lighting has the problem of wasting energy and impeding walking due to glare. The survey shows that nighttime sight distance on a crosswalk is required to improve and that road users prefer to be brighter pedestrian waiting space together with the crosswalk. Thus, a lighting environment that is not too bright and illuminates the crosswalk and the pedestrian waiting space is needed to implement.
Crosswalk;Crosswalk Lighting;Glare;Traffic Accident Statistics;Convenience Sampling Method
- 건설교통부, 국도상의 횡단보도 조명시설물 설치기준(안), pp.97-103, 2006.
- 국토해양부, 도로안전시설 설치 및 관리지침, pp.117-155, 2008.
- 김재영, 도로조명 실태 및 설계기준에 관한 연구, 서울산업대학교 석사학위논문, 2005.
- 도로교통공단, 교통사고분석시스템 (taas.koroad.or.kr), 2007-2011.
- 박주천, 교통사고 방지를 위한 안전시설 설치효과 분석, 전남대학교 산업대학원 석사학위논문, 2007.
- 박태훈, 박주천, 박제진, 하태준, "횡단보도 교통사고 방지를 위한 안전시설 설치효과 분석에 관한 연구", 대한토목확회 학술대회, 2007.
- 산업자원부, KS A 3701, 도로조명기준, 2007.
- 유형균, 횡단보도의 조명환경 측정에 관한 연구, 강원대학교 산업대학원 석사학위논문, 2010.
- 이창모, 이민욱, 김훈, "횡단보도 조명의 위치에 따른 운전자의 보행자 인식 해석", 한국조명.전기설비학회 2009 춘계학술대회 논문집, 2009.
- 한국건설기술연구원, 도로조명시설 설치 및 시공표준화 지침, 1998.
- CIE 136, Lighting of Roads for Motro and Pedestrian Traffic, p.17, 2000.
- DIN 67523-1, 2, pp.5-8, 2010.
- EN 13201, pp.47-55, 2008.
- FHWA, Informational Report on Lighting Design for Midblock Crosswalk, 2008.
- FHWA, The Effect of Crosswalk Markings on Vehicle Speeds in Maryland, Virginia, and Arizona, 2000.
- J. D. bullough, X. Zhang, N. P. Skinner, and M. S. Rea, Design and Evaluation of Effective Crosswalk Illumination, New Jersey Department of Transportation Bureau of Research and U.S Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, 2009.