- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis for the Effect of Channel Contraction for Sedimentation Reduction on the Flood Level and Bed Changes in the Lower Nakdong River
낙동강 하류의 퇴사저감을 위한 하폭축소방법이 홍수위변화 및 하상변동에 미치는 영향 분석
Jang, Eun-Kyung;Ji, Un
- Received : 2012.09.07
- Accepted : 2013.02.15
- Published : 2013.03.29
Sediment from the upstream channel has been deposited near the Nakdong River Estuary Barrage (NREB) due to the mild slope and decreased velocity. The annual mechanical dredging to ensure the flood capacity has been performed to remove the deposited sediment. However, the dredging method is not considered as an effective countermeasure due to high cost and long time to operate. Therefore, many methods for sedimentation reduction have been proposed for NREB. Especially, the channel contraction method to mitigate sedimentation problem by changing the channel geometry from 2 km to 3 km upstream of NREB has been recently suggested as an effective countermeasure. However, there is the possibility that the channel contraction method induces flood level increase compared to original condition. Therefore, it is necessary to investigate quantitatively the flood level changes in the upstream and downstream section due to the channel contraction method for NREB. In this study, water level changes by 10% channel contraction of whole width has been evaluated using the HEC-RAS model and simulated with and without channel contraction for various flood discharge. As a result, water level in the section where the channel was contracted was decreased by 0.02 m and flood level at the upstream of channel contracted was increased up to 0.015 m for the 500-year flood.
Bed Change;Channel contraction;Flood level change;HEC-RAS;Sedimentation reduction;Lower Nakdong River
- Ackers, P., White, W.R., 1973, Sediment transport: A new approach and analysis, Journal of Hydraulics Division, 99(11), 2041-2060.
- Engelund, F., Hansen, E.E., 1967, A monograph of sediment transport in alluvial rivers, Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen, 62.
- Ji, U., 2006, Numerical Model for Sediment Flushing at the Nakdong River Estuary Barrage. Ph.D. Dissertation, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.A., 47-59.
- Ji, U., Julien, P. Y., Park, S. K., 2011, Sediment Flushing at the Nakdong River Estuary Barrage, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 137(11), 1522-1535. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000395
- Ji, U., Kim, G. H., Yeo, W. K., 2011, Analysis for the Effectiveness of Sedimentation Reduction Using the Channel Contraction Method at the Estuary Barrage, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, 44(1), 31-40. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2011.44.1.31
- Jeong, W. J., Un, J., Yeo, W. K., 2010, Sensitivity Analysis of Bed Changes for Different Sediment Transport Formulas Using the HEC-6 Model-The Lower Nakdong River, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 19(10), 1219-1227. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2010.19.10.1219
- Kim, G.H., 2011, Numerical Analysis for Sedimentation Reduction Methods at the Upstream Channel of the Estuary Barrage, Master Dissertation, Myongji University, Yongin, Korea.
- Kim, J. W., Kim, B. J., Kim, W. I., Ahn, W. S., 2009, Characteristics of River-Bed Fluctuation for Rapid Change Channel Width, 2009 Annual Conference of Korea Water Resources Association, 703-708.
- KMOCT, 2009, The Nakdong River Maintenance General Planning Report, Korean Ministry of Construction and Transportation No. 2009-315, Korea.
- KOWACO, 2008, Nakdong River Estuary Barrage Maintenance & Management Improvement Research, Korea Water Resources Corporation, Korea.
- KOWACO, 2010, Four Rivers Restoration Project - Nakdong River (18 Area) Design and Planning Report, Korea Water Resources Corporation, Korea.
- Li, Y. and Ni, J., 2010, Influence of Sediment Transport on Water Levels in the Middle Yangtze River, International Water Resources Association, 26(2), 191-196.
- Park, S.K., Julien, P.Y., Ji, U. and Ruff, J.F., 2008, Case Study: Retrofitting Large Bridge Piers on the Nakdong River, South Korea, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 134(11), 1639-1650. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2008)134:11(1639)
- Toffaleti, F. B., 1969, Definitive computations of sand discharge in rivers, Journal of the Hydraulics Division, 95(1), 225-248.
- Yang, C. T., 1979, Unit Stream Power Equation for Total Load, Journal of Hydraulic Division, 40(1)- (2), 123-138.
Supported by : 국토해양부