- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Artificial Structures on Benthic Macroinvertebrate Communities in Streams
하천의 인공구조물이 저서성 대형무척추동물 군집에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2012.10.29
- Accepted : 2013.02.20
- Published : 2013.03.29
This study was conducted for determining the influence of artificial structures on benthic macroinvertebrate communities in stream. Sampling was taken at upper(pool), down(riffle) and control(riffle) from two check dams, two weirs, one agricultural reservoir, and one multipurpose dam in northern part of Gyeongsangbuk-do. The benthic macroinvertebrate communities of these structures were surveyed during 2009 to 2011. The simple habitat of benthic macroinvertebrates occurred at the upper sites due to pooling effects from artificial structures. Specifically, Check dam1, Jusanji, Imha dam showed very low biological attribute values compared to the down and control sites, which have greater difference in substrate characteristics. However, in the upper sites of Check dam2, Weir1 and Weir2, the difference of values of biological attributes was relatively smaller. Also, proportion of functional feeding groups and functional habit groups were relatively simpler at upper stream and the degree of community differences was greater between upper and down, control sites. Spearman's correlation between biological attributes and substrate characteristics, water quality parameters had significant correlations; particularly, the substrate characteristics were more significantly related. In conclusion, the pool caused by artificial structures had negative effects on benthic macroinvertebrate communities thus leading to simplified stream habitats at upper stream ecosystems.
Artificial structure;Benthic macroinvertebrates;Community analysis;River bed
- Baxter, R. M., 1977, Environmental effects of dams and impoundments, Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 8, 255-283. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.08.110177.001351
- Charles F. R., Dosiy, K. E., Zweig, L.D., 2005, Stream invertebrate community functional responses to deposited sediment, Aquatic Science, 67, 395-402. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00027-005-0793-2
- Choi, A. R., Park, S. J., Kim, J. Y., Song, M. Y., Kong, D. S., 2012, The correlation between water quality and benthic macroinvertebrate community indices in the Jinwi stream, Korean Journal of Limnology, 45(1), 1-10.
- Cummins, K. W., 1962, An evaluation of some techniques for the collection and analysis of benthic samples with special emphasis on lotic water, The American Midland Naturalist, 67, 477-504. https://doi.org/10.2307/2422722
- Culp, J. M., Walde, S. J., Davies, R. W., 1983, Relative importance of substrate particle size and detritus to stream bentic macroinvertebrate microdistribution, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 40, 1568-1874. https://doi.org/10.1139/f83-181
- Doeg, T. J., Koehn, J. D., 1994, Effects of draining and desiltinga small weir on downstream fish and macroinvertebrates, Regulated Rivers: Research and Management, 9, 263-277. https://doi.org/10.1002/rrr.3450090407
- Dynesius, M., Nilsson, C., 1994, Fragmentation and flow regulation of river systems in the northern third of the world, Science, 266, 753-762. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.266.5186.753
- Han, J. H., Lee, J. Y., An, K. G., 2010, Interannual and seasonal variations of water quality in terms of size dimension on multi-purpose Korean dam reservoirs along with the characteristics of longitudinal gradients, Korean Journal of Limnology, 43(2), 319-337.
- Han, S. C., Jun, Y. C., Hwang, I. C., Won, D. H., 2011, Effects of sedimentation on benthic macroinvertebrate communities at upper Song stream basin, Korean Journal of Environment Biology, 26(4), 353-361.
- Jaccard, P., 1908, Nouvelles rescherches sur la distribution florale, Bulletin Society Sciences Nature, 44, 223-207.
- Kil, H. K., Kim, D. G., Jung, S. W., Jin, Y. H., Hwang, J. M., Bae, K. S., Bae, Y. J., 2010, Impacts of impoundments by low-head and large dams on benthic macroinvertebrate communities in Korean streams and rivers, Korean Journal of Limnology, 43(2), 190-198.
- Kondorf, G. M., 1997, Hungry water: Effects of dams and gravel mining on river channels, Environmental Management, 21, 533-551. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002679900048
- Lee, M. J., Park, J. Y., Seo, J. K., Lee, H. J., Seo, E. W., Lee, J. E., 2009, Community structure and cluster analysis of the benthic macroinvertebrates in inflow and outflow area of ten reservoirs of the Nakdong river system, Journal of Life Science, 19, 1758-1763. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.12.1758
- Ahn, H. K., Woo, H. S., Lee, D. S., Kim, K. H., 2008, Stream eco-corridor restoration by out-aged small dam removal - Focused on Gokreung river Gokreung 2 small dam removal, Journal of the korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology, 11(2), 40-54.
- Allan, D. J., 1995, Stream ecology: Structure and function of running waters, Champman & Hall, London, 388.
- APHA, 2001, Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, American Public Health Association, 21st ed., APH-AWW-WEF, Washington, DC, USA. 1368.
- Bae, Y. J., Lee, B. H., 2001, Human impacts on stream ecosystems and freshwater Arthropods in Korea, Korean Journal of Entomology, 31(2), 63-76.
- Lee, M. J., Kwon, H. Y., Lee, H. J., Seo, J. K., Lee, J. K., Lee, J. E., 2011, Community structure of benthic macroinvertebrates and water quality in the major lakes (Lake Sayeon, Lake Daeam, Seonam Reservoir, Lake Hoeya) of Ulsansi, Korean Journal of Limnology, 44(4), 396-406.
- Magilligan, F. J., Nislow, K. H., 2001, Long-term changes in regional hydrologic regime following impoundment in a humid-climate watershed, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 37(6), 1551-1569. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2001.tb03659.x
- Merrit, R. W., Cummins, K. W., 1996, An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 3rd ed, Kendall/Hunt Publish, Co. Dubuque, Iowa, 862.
- Merrit, R. W., Cummins, K. W., Berg, M. B., 2008, An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 4th ed, Kendall/Hunt Publish, Co. Dubuque, Iowa, 1158.
- Ministry of Environment, 2006, The 3rd National Ecosystem Survey Guide, NIER, 298.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, 2007, Development of environment-friendly erosion control techniques for ecosystem conservation in torrent, 389.
- Minshall, G. W., 1984, Aquatic insect-substratum relationships, in: Resh, V.H. and Rosenberg, D.M. (eds.), The Ecology of Aquatic Insects, Praeger, New York, 358-400.
- Oh, Y. N., Jun, T. S., 1991, A study on the benthic macroinvertebrates in the middle reaches of Paenae stream , a tributary of the Naktong river, Korea 2. Comparison of communities and environments at the upper and lower sites of levees, The Korean Journal of Ecological Sciences, 14(4), 399-413.
- Ro, T. H., Chun, D. J., 2004, Functional feeding group categorization of Korean immature aquatic insects and community stability analysis, Korean Journal of Limnology, 37, 137-148.
- Rosenberg, D. M., Resh, V. H., 1993, Freshwater biomonitoring and benthic macroinvertebrates, Chapman and Hall, New York, 488.
- Son, S. H., 2008, Effects of artificial structure on stream ecosystem (On the benthic macroinvertebrate, fishes and stream vegetations), Master dissertation, Soonchunhyang University, 113.
- Stanley, E. H., Michelle, A. L., Dolye, M. W., Marshall, D. W., 2002, Short-term changes in channel form and macroinvertebrate communities following low-head dam removal, Journal of North American Benthological Society, 21, 172-187. https://doi.org/10.2307/1468307
- Tiemann, J. S., Gillette, D. P., Wildhaber, M. L. and Edds, D. R., 2004, Effects of lowhead dams on riffledwelling fishes and macroinvertebrates in a midwestern river, Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 133, 705-717. https://doi.org/10.1577/T03-058.1
- Vannote, R. L., Minshall, G. W., Cummins, K. W., Sedell, J. R., Cushing, C. E., 1980, The river continuum concept, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 37, 130-137. https://doi.org/10.1139/f80-017
- Won, D. H., Kwon, S. J., Jun, Y. C., 2005. Aquatic insect of Korea, Korea ecosystem service, 415.
- Yoon, I. B., 1995, An illustration of aquatic insects, Jeonghaengsa press, 262.
- Yoon, I. B., Kong, D. S., Ryu, J. K., 1992, Studies on the biological evaluation of water quality by benthic macroinvertebrates (1); saprobic valency and indicative value, Korean Journal of Environment Biology, 10(1), 24-39.
Supported by : 안동대학교