- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Strategic Cooperation and Failure in Innovation Processes: Empirical Evidence from the Korean Manufacturing Industry
- Received : 2012.10.27
- Accepted : 2013.03.09
- Published : 2013.03.31
The aim of this paper is to analyse the impacts of R&D cooperation and obstacles to technological innovation on the innovation failure of the Korean manufacturing firms. Two hierarchical regression models including interaction variables are employed for the analysis. Some interesting findings are: first, almost all the obstacles have positive and significant effects on the failure. Second, R&D cooperation positively or negatively moderates the impact of obstacles to technological innovation on the innovation failure, although R&D cooperation itself is not directly related to the failure. Third, the interaction effects between the cooperation and the obstacles influence the failure in various manners. This study is expected to help manufacturing firms which are under unfavourable environments to formulate their cooperation strategies successfully based on what they learn from the failure.
R&D Cooperation;Innovation Failure;Obstacle to Innovation;Technological Innovation;Manufacturing
- Arranz, N. and Fernandez de Arroyabe, J. C. (2007), The choice of partners in R&D cooperation: an empirical analysis of Spanish firms, Technovation, 28(1/2), 88-100.
- Atallah, G. (2002), Vertical R&D spillovers, cooperation, market structure, and innovation, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 11(3), 179-209. https://doi.org/10.1080/10438590210903
- Audretsch, D. B., Link, A. N., and Scott, J. T. (2002), Public/private technology partnerships: evaluating SBIR-supported research, Research Policy, 31(1), 145-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(00)00158-X
- Baldwin, J. and Lin, Z. (2002), Impediments to advanced technology adoption for Canadian manufacturers, Research Policy, 31(1), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(01)00110-X
- Barge-Gil, A. (2010), Cooperation-based innovators and peripheral cooperators: an empirical analysis of their characteristics and behaviour, Technovation, 30(3), 195-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2009.11.004
- Bayona, C., Garcia-Marco, T., and Huerta, E. (2001), Firms' motivation for cooperative R&D: an empirical analysis of Spanish firms, Research Policy, 30(8), 1289-1307. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(00)00151-7
- Becker, W. and Dietz, J. (2004), R&D cooperation and innovation activities of firms: evidence for the German manufacturing industry, Research Policy, 33(2), 209-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2003.07.003
- Belderbos, R., Carree, M., Diederen, B., Lokshin, B., and Veugelers, R. (2004a), Heterogeneity in R&D cooperation strategies, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 22(8/9), 1237-1263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijindorg.2004.08.001
- Belderbos, R., Carree, M., and Lokshin, B. (2004b), Cooperative R&D and firm performance. Research Policy, 33(10), 1477-1492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2004.07.003
- Bruneel, J., D'Este, P., and Salter, A. (2010), Investigating the factors that diminish the barriers to university-industry collaboration, Research Policy, 39(7), 858-868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2010.03.006
- Busom, I. and Fernandez-Ribas, A. (2008), The impact of firm participation in R&D programmes on R&D partnerships, Research Policy, 37(2), 240-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2007.11.002
- Cassiman, B. and Veugelers, R. (2002), R&D cooperation and spillovers: some empirical evidence from Belgium, American Economic Review, 92(4), 1169-1184. https://doi.org/10.1257/00028280260344704
- Chesbrough, H. W. (2003), The era of open innovation, MIT Sloan Management Review, 44(3), 35-41.
- Cohen, W. M. and Levinthal, D. A. (1989), Innovation and learning: the two faces of R&D, The Economic Journal, 99(397), 569-596. https://doi.org/10.2307/2233763
- Cooper, A. C. (1981), Strategic management: new venture and small business, Long Range Planning, 14(5), 39-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-6301(81)90006-6
- David, A. P., Hall, B. H., and Toole, A. A. (2000), Is public R&D a complement or substitute for private R&D? a review of the econometric evidence, Research Policy, 29(4/5), 497-529. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(99)00087-6
- Dodgson, M. (1993), Technological Collaboration in Industry: Strategy, Policy, and Internationalization in Innovation, Routledge, New York, NY.
- Dowling, M. and Helm, R. (2005), Product development success through cooperation: a study of entrepreneurial firms, Technovation, 26(4), 483-488.
- Ekvall, G. and Ryhammar, L. (1998), Leadership style, social climate and organizational outcomes: a study of a Swedish University Colleges, Creativity and Innovation Management, 7(3), 126-130. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8691.00100
- Freel, M. S. (2003), Sectoral patterns of small firm innovation, networking and proximity, Research Policy, 32(5), 751-770. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(02)00084-7
- Freeman, C. B., Robertson, A., Achilladelis, G. B., and Jervis, P. (1972), A Study of Success and Failure in Industrial Innovation: Report on Project SAPPHO, Center for the Study of Industrial Innovation, University of Sussex, London.
- Fritsch, M. and Lukas, R. (2001), Who cooperates on R&D?, Research Policy, 30(2), 297-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(99)00115-8
- Galia, F. and Legros, D. (2004), Complementarities between obstacles to innovation: evidence from France, Research Policy, 33(8), 1185-1199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2004.06.004
- Gautam, A. (2000), Collaboration networks, structural holes, and innovation: a longitudinal study, Administrative Science Quarterly, 45(3), 425-455. https://doi.org/10.2307/2667105
- Hagedoorn, J. (1993), Understanding the rationale of strategic technology partnering: inter-organizational modes of cooperation and sectoral differences, Strategic Management Journal, 14(5), 371-385. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250140505
- Howarth, C. S. (1994), The role of strategic alliances in the development of technology, Technovation, 14 (4), 243-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4972(94)90009-4
- Hsu, F. M. and Hsueh, C. C. (2009), Measuring relative efficiency of government-sponsored R&D projects: a three-stage approach, Evaluation and Program Planning, 32(2), 178-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2008.10.005
- Johne, A. F. and Snelson, P. A. (1988), Success factors in product innovation: a selective review of the literature, Journal Product Innovation Management, 5(2), 114-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/0737-6782(88)90003-3
- Kaufmann, A. and Todtling, F. (2000), Science-industry interaction in the process of innovation: the importance of boundary-crossing between systems, Research Policy, 30(5), 791-804.
- Kim, H. H., Cho, G. W., Park, D. B., Seo, J. H., and Lee, J. R. (2008), Korea Innovation Survey 2008: Manufacturing, Science Technology Policy Institute, Seoul, Korea.
- Lhuillery, S. and Pfister, E. (2009), R&D cooperation and failure in innovation projects: empirical evidence from French CIS data, Research Policy, 38(1), 45-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2008.09.002
- Lin, B. W., Lee, Y., and Hung, S. C. (2006), R&D intensity and commercialization orientation effects on financial performance, Journal of Business Research, 59(6), 679-685. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.01.002
- Maidique, M. A. and Zirger, J. B. (1984), A study of success and failure in product innovation: the case of the U.S. electronics industry, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 31(4), 192-203.
- Mansfield, E. and Wagner, S. (1975), Organizational and strategic factors associated with probabilities of success in industrial R&D, The Journal of Business, 48(2), 179-198. https://doi.org/10.1086/295734
- March-Chorda, I., Gunasekaran, A., and Lloria-Aramburo, B. (2002), Product development process in Spanish SMEs: an empirical research, Technovation, 22(5), 301-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(01)00021-9
- Miotti, L. and Sachwald, F. (2003), Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: an integrated framework of analysis, Research Policy, 32(8), 1481-1499. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(02)00159-2
- Mohnen, P. and Lars-Hendrik, R. (2005), Complementarities in innovation policy, European Economic Review, 49(6), 1431-1450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2003.12.003
- Mohnen, P. and Rosa, J. M. (1999), Barriers to innovation in services industries in Canada, Statistics Canada, Ontario.
- Moriyasu, T., Zu, G., and Tsuji, H. (2010), Business collaboration support for offshore software development, Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 9(3), 275-284. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2010.9.3.275
- Narula, R. (2004), R&D collaboration by SMEs: new opportunities and limitations in the face of globalisation, Technovation, 24(2), 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-4972(02)00045-7
- OECD (2005), Oslo Manual: Guidelines for Collecting and Interpreting Innovation Data (3rd ed.), OECD, Paris.
- Rubenstein, A. H., Chakrabarti, A. K., O'Keefe, R. D., Souder, W. E., and Young, H. C. (1976), Factors influencing innovation success at the project level, Research Management, 19(3), 15-19.
- Santarelli, E. and Piergiovanni, R. (1996), Analyzing literature-based innovation output indicators: the Italian experience, Research Policy, 25(5), 689-711. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(95)00849-7
- Steinherr, A. and Huveneers, C. (1994), On the performance of differently regulated financial institutions: some empirical evidence, Journal of Banking and Finance, 18(2), 271-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4266(94)00036-0
- Tether, B. S. (2002), Who co-operates for innovation, and how to avoid catastrophe, Harvard Business Review why: an empirical analysis, Research Policy, 31(6), 947-967. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(01)00172-X
- Tinsley, C. H., Dillon, R. L., and Madsen, P. M. (2011), How to avoid catastrophe, Harvard Business Review, 89(4), 90-97.
- Tourigny, D. and Le, C. D. (2004), Impediments to innovation faced by Canadian manufacturing firms, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 13(3), 217-250. https://doi.org/10.1080/10438590410001628387
- Tyler, B. B. and Steensma, H. K. (1995), Evaluating technological collaborative opportunities: a cognitive modeling perspectives, Strategic Management Journal, 16(S1), 43-70. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250160917
- Veugelers, R. and Cassiman, B. (2005), R&D cooperation between firms and universities: some empirical evidence from Belgian manufacturing, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 23(5/6), 355-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijindorg.2005.01.008
- Zahra, S. A. (1996), Technology strategy and financial performance: examining the moderating role of the firm's competitive environment, Journal of Business Venturing, 11(3), 189-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(96)00001-8