- Volume 14 Issue 1
The present work focuses on the unsteady aerodynamics and aeroelastic properties of a small-medium sized wind-turbine blade operating under ideal conditions. A tapered/twisted blade representative of commercial blades used in an experiment setup at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory is considered. The aerodynamic loads are computed using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) techniques. For this purpose, FLUENT
- Burton, T., Sharpe, D., Jenkins, N., and Bossanyi, E., Wind Energy Handbook, 1st Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester, 2001, ISBN: 0-471-48997-2
- Manwell, J. F., McGowan, J.G., Rogers, A.L. "Wind Energy Explained", 1st edition, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester, 2002, ISBN 0-471-49972-2.
- Eggleston, D.M., Stoddard, F.S. "Wind Turbine Engineering Design", Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1987, p. 307.
- Germanischer Lloyd, Rules and regulations, VI - Nonmarine Technology, Part 1 - Wind Energy (Hamburg, 1993).
- L. Librescu, P. Marzocca, and W. A. Silva, "Aeroelasticity of 2-D lifting surfaces with time-delayed feedback control," Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2005, pp. 197-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2004.10.005
- A. Behal, V. M. Rao, P. Marzocca, and M. Kamaludeen, "Adaptive Control for a Nonlinear Wing Section with Multiple Flaps," Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 29, No. 3, 2006, pp. 744-748. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.18182
- Leishman, J.G., "Principles of Helicopter Aerodynamics", 1st Edition, Cambridge University Press, 2000, ISBN 0-521- 52396-6.
- Leishman, J. G., "Challenges in modeling the Unsteady Aerodynamics of Wind Turbines,", AIAA 2002-0037, 21st ASME Wind Energy Symposium and 40th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, NY, 2002.
- Politis, E.S., Nikolaou, I.G., Chaviaropoulos, P.K., Bertagnolio, F., Sorensen, N.N., and Johansen, J., "KNOWBLADE Task-4 report; Navier-Stokes Aeroelasticity", Riso-R-1492 (EN), Riso National Laboratory, Roskilde, Denmark, 2005.
- Wilcox, D.C., "Turbulence Modeling for CFD", DCW Industries, Inc., La Canada, California, 1998.
- Hodges, D. H., and Dowell, E. H., "Nonlinear Equation for the Elastic Bending and Torsion of Twisted Non Uniform Rotor Blades," NASA TN D-7818, 1974.
- Greenberg, J.M., "Airfoil in Sinusoidal Motion in a Pulsating Stream," NACA TN-1326, 1947.
- Theodorsen, T., "General Theory of Aerodynamic Instability and the Mechanism of Flutter," NACA Report No.496, 1935.
- Fluent, Inc., FLUENT User Guide, September 29, 2006.
- Stepniewski, W.Z., Keys, C.N. "Rotary - Wing Aerodynamics", Dover Publications, Inc. , New York, 1984.
- Johnson, W., "Helicopter Theory", Dover Publications, 1980.
- Giguere, P., and Selig, M. S., "Design of a Tapered and Twisted Blade for the NREL Combined Experiment Rotor", NREL/SR-500-26173, Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 1999.
- Butterfield, C.P., Musial, W.P., Simms, D.A., "Combined Experiment Phase I Final Report", NREL/TP-257-4655, 1992, Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Hodges, D.H., and Ormiston R.A., "Stability of Elastic Bending and Torsion of Uniform Cantilever Rotor Blades in Hover with Variable Structural Coupling," NASA TN D-8192, 1976.
- Friedmann, P.P., "Helicopter Rotor Dynamics and Aeroelasticity: Some Key Ideas and Insights," Vertica, Vol.14, No.1, pp.101-121, 1990.
- Somers, D. M., "Design and Experimental Results for the S809 Airfoil,", Technical Report, Airfoils, Inc., State College, PA, 1989.
- Wolfe, W.P., Ochs, S.S., "CFD Calculations of S809 Aerodynamic Characteristics", AIAA Paper 97-0973, 1997.
- Bramwell, A.R.S., "Helicopter Dynamics", Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd, June 1, 1976.
- Bir, G.S., "Structural Dynamics Verification of Rotorcraft Comprehensive Analysis System (RCAS)", NREL/TP-500-35328, 2005, Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Bielawa, R.L., "Rotary Wing Structural Dynamics and Aeroelasticity," AIAA Education Series, AIAA, 1992.
- Coppotelli, G., and Cellini, F., "A Rotorcraft Trim Procedure for the Prediction of Fuselage Vibrations," Advances in Engineering Research, Vol. 4, Nova Science Publisher, NY, USA, pp. 235-257. ISBN: 9781621006954
- Balis Crema L., Coppotelli, G., and Grappasonni, C., "On the Effects of Structural Modifications in the Large Wind Turbine Dynamics," Proceedings of the 52nd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Denver (CO) - USA, Denver (Co) - USA, 2011.