- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Aerodynamic Damping Analysis of a Vane-type Multi-Function Air Data Probe
- Lee, Yung-Gyo (Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Park, Young-Min (Korea Aerospace Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.09.07
- Accepted : 2013.03.22
- Published : 2013.03.30
Configuration design, analysis, and wind tunnel test of a vane-type multi-function air data probe (MFP) was described. First, numerical analysis was conducted for the initial configuration of the MFP in order to investigate aerodynamic characteristics. Then, the design was modified to improve static and dynamic stability for better response characteristics. The modified configuration design was verified through wind tunnel tests. The test results are also used to verify the accuracy of the analytical method. The analytically estimated aerodynamic damping provided by the Navier-Stokes equation solver correlated well with the wind tunnel test results. According to the calculation, the damping coefficient estimated from ramp motion analysis yielded a better correlation with the wind tunnel test than pitch oscillation analysis.
- Goodrich (2011), Sensor and Integrated Systems, URL:http://www.goodrich.com/Goodrich/Businesses/Sensorsand-Interated-Systems (accessed Aug 20 2012).
- Greg, A., Dennis, J., John, H., Mark, R., James, A., John, R., and Dana, A., "Multi-Function Air Data Sensing Probe Having an Angle of Attack Vane," US Patent No. 6941805B2, 2003.
- Lionel, C., and Nikolas, H., "Multi-Function Probe with Variable Flexure," US Patent No. 7155968B2, 2007.
- Margaret, A., Guntis, U., and David, N., "Multi-Function Aircraft Probes," US Patent No. 6012331, 2000.
- Lee, Y., Park, Y., Ahn, S., Yeom, C., and Lee, D., "Design and Wind Tunnel Tests of a Multi-Function Air Data Probe," Proceedings of the 2010 Spring Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Pyungchang, Korea, 2010.
- Park, Y., Choi, I., Lee, Y., Kwon, K., Kim, S., and Hwang I., "Aerodynamic Design of a Multi-function Air Data Sensor by Using CFD and Wind Tunnel Test," Journal of Korean Society of Computational Fluid Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2010, pp. 32-38.
- Chang. B., Ok. H., and Lee. Y., "Forced Oscillation Wind Tunnel Test of a 50m Airship," Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 31, No. 6, 2003, pp. 17-22. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2003.31.6.017
- Lee. Y., and Lan. C. E., "Navier-Stokes Analysis of Tunnel Wall Interference Effects on Pitching Delta Wings," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 41, No. 3, 2004, pp. 547-554. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.11480