- Volume 37 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Stress Analysis for Bendable Electronic Module Under Thermal-Hygroscopic Complex Loads
열·습도 복합하중에서의 유연성 전자모듈에 대한 구조해석
- Han, Changwoon (Components & Materials Physics Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Oh, Chulmin (Components & Materials Physics Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Hong, Wonsik (Components & Materials Physics Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute)
- Received : 2012.10.04
- Accepted : 2013.01.31
- Published : 2013.05.01
A bendable electronic module is developed. In this module, thin silicon electronic chips are embedded in a polymer-based encapsulating adhesive between flexible copper-clad polyimide layers. During the qualification test of a harshly thermal-hygroscopic complex loading condition, delaminations occur inside the module layers. A finite element model is developed for the module. To investigate the effect of hygroscopic stress on delamination, the results of the thermal and thermal-hygroscopic loads are compared. The analysis results reveal that the hygroscopic effect more strongly affects delamination than does the thermal effect. The potential failure mechanisms of the module are investigated based on the stress analysis.
Bendable Electronic Module;Thermal and Hygroscopic Loading;Autoclave Test
Supported by : 지식경제부
- Wang, G., Cho, Y., Hong, S., Kim, J., Choi, W., Kim, J., Ryu, J., Hong, W. and Oh, C., 2010, "Active- Device-Embedded Bendable Electronic Module," 12th International Conference on Electronic Materials and Packaging (EMAP 2010), Singapore.
- Dupon, 2012, "Summary of Properties for Kapton Polyimide Films," Retrieved at Sep. 2012 from www2.dupont.com/Kapton/en_US/assets/downloads/pdf /summaryofprop.pdf
- Yoon, J., Kim, I. and Lee, S., 2009, "Measurement and Characterization of the Moisture-Induced Properties of ACF Package," Journal of Electronic Packaging, Vol. 131, 021012. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3111252
- Liu, J., 1999, Conductive Adhesives for Electronics Packaging, Electrochemical Publications, UK.
- Chung, C. and Paik, K., 2009, "The Effects of the Degree of Cure of Anisotropic Conductive Films (ACFs) on the Contraction Stress Build-up of ACFs and ACF Joints Stability for Chip-On-Flex (COF) Applications," 59th Electronic Components and Technology Conference, pp. 161-167.
- Oh, C., Wang, G., Kim, J. and Hong, W., 2010, "Mechanical Properties of Adhesive Material with Various Temperatures for Bendable Embeded Module," 2010 Fall Proceedings of the KWS Conference, p. 39.
- Han, C., Oh, C. and Hong, W., 2012, "Moisture Diffusion Analysis for Bendable Electronic Module Under Autoclave Test Condition," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36. No. 5, pp. 523-528. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.5.523
- Yoon, S., Jang, C. and Han, B., 2008, "Nonlinear Stress Modeling Scheme to Analyze Semiconductor Packages Subjected to Combined Thermal and Hygroscopic Loading," ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, Vol. 130, 024502. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2912181