- Volume 37 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Experimental Study on Dynamic Characteristics of Structurally Tailored Isotropic Box Beams
강성재단 된 등방성 박스보의 동적 특성에 관한 실험적 연구
- Kim, Kyoung-Duck (Dept. of Intelligent Mechanical Engineering, Kumoh Nat'l Inst. of Tech.) ;
- Kim, Jun-Sik (Dept. of Intelligent Mechanical Engineering, Kumoh Nat'l Inst. of Tech.)
- Received : 2012.12.28
- Accepted : 2013.02.13
- Published : 2013.05.01
A beam is a major load-carrying member in many engineering structures. Beams with properly designed cross sections and stiffeners are required to enhance the structural properties. Such a design may cause various coupling behaviors, and therefore, an accurate analysis is essential for the proper design of beams. In this research, we manufactured box-beams with stiffeners, which mimic the out-of-plane composite bending-shear coupling behavior reported in literature. A modal test is carried out to obtain the dynamic characteristics, such as natural frequencies and mode shapes, of the box-beam. The obtained results are compared with those of 3D FEM, which confirm that the out-of-plane bending-shear coupling behavior reported in literature is possible. The coupling behavior can be controlled by the proper design of the stiffeners.
Isotropic Box Beam;Stiffness Tailoring;Dynamic Characteristics;Bending-Shear Coupling
Supported by : 금오공과대학교
- Jones, R. M., 1999, Mechanics of Composite Materials, 2nd Ed., Taylor & Francis, USA.
- Smith, E. C and Chopra, I., July 1993, "Aeroelastic Response, Loads and Stability of a Composite Rotor in Forward Flight," AIAA Journal, Vol.31, No.7, pp. 1265-1273. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.49066
- Jung, S. N., Nagaraj, V. T. and Chopra, I., 1999, "Assessment of Composite Rotor Blade Modeling Techniques," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 44, pp.188-205. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.44.188
- Volovoi, V. V., Hodges, D. H., Cesnik, C. E. S., Popescu, B., 2001, "Assessment of Beam Modeling Methods of Rotor Blade Applications," Mathematical and Computer Modeling, Vol. 33, pp. 1099-1112. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-7177(00)00302-2
- Jung, S. N., Nagaraj, V. T., Chopra, I., 2002, "Refined Structural Model for Thin- and Thick-Walled Composite Rotor Blades," AIAA Journal, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 105-116. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.1619
- Kim, J.-S., Cho, M. and Smith, E. C., 2008, "An Asymptotic Analysis of Composite Beams with Kinematically Corrected End Effects," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 45, pp. 1954-1977.
- Kim, J.-S. and Wang, K. W., 2010, "Vibration Analysis of Composite Beams with End Effects via the Formal Asymptotic Method," Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 132, No. 4, pp. 041003:1-8.
- Jeong, J., Kim, J.-S., Kang, Y. J. and Cho, M., 2012, "A Cross-sectional Analysis of Composite Beams Based on Asymptotic Framework," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 161-172. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-1022-7
- Kim, J.-S., 2012, "Application of Saint-Venant's Principle to Anisotropic Beams," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 451-455. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.4.451
- Yu, W., Hodges, D. H. and Ho, J. C., 2012, "Variational Asymptotic Beam Sectional Analysis - An Updated Version," Int. J. Eng. Sci., Vol. 59, pp. 40-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijengsci.2012.03.006