- Volume 37 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Stress Distribution in the Dissimilar Metal Butt Weld of Nuclear Reactor Piping due to the Simulation Technique for the Repair Welding
보수용접 모사 방법에 따른 원자로 배관 이종금속 맞대기 용접부 응력 분포
- Lee, Hwee-Seung (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Huh, Nam-Su (Dept. of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jin-Su (Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety) ;
- Lee, Jin-Ho (Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety)
- 이휘승 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 허남수 (서울과학기술대학교 기계시스템디자인공학과) ;
- 김진수 (한국원자력안전기술원 건설원자력규제단) ;
- 이진호 (한국원자력안전기술원 건설원자력규제단)
- Received : 2012.12.28
- Accepted : 2013.03.05
- Published : 2013.05.01
During welding, the dissimilar metal butt welds of nuclear piping are typically subjected to repair welding in order to eliminate defects that are found during post-weld inspection. It has been found that the repair weld can significantly increase the tensile residual stress in the weldment, and therefore, accurate estimation of the weld residual stress due to repair weld, especially for dissimilar metal welds using Ni-based alloy 82/182 in nuclear components, is of great importance in order to assess susceptibility to primary water stress corrosion cracking. In the present study, the stress distributions of dissimilar metal butt welds in nuclear reactor piping subjected to repair weld were investigated based on detailed nonlinear finite element analyses. Particular emphasis was placed on the variation of the stress distribution in the dissimilar metal butt weld according to the finite element welding analysis sequence for the repair welding process.
Dissimilar Metal Butt Weld;Finite Element Analysis;PWSCC;Repair Welding;Welding Residual Stress
- EPRI, Materials Reliability Program, 2004, "Welding Residual and Operating Stresses in PWR Alloy 182 Butt Welds (MRP-106)," EPRI report.
- Soh, N.H., Oh, G.J., Huh, N.S., Lee, S.H., Park, H.B., Lee, S.G., Kim, J.S. and Kim, Y.J., 2012, "Effects of Finite Element Analysis Parameters on Weld Residual Stress of Dissimilar Metal Weld in Nuclear Reactor Piping Nozzles," Trans. of the KPVP, Vol. 8, pp. 8-18.
- Kim, J.S., Lee, S.G.., Park, H.B., Jin, T.E. and Kang, S.S., 2009, "Investigation on the Effect of Internal Repair Welding Variables on PWSCC of Dissimilar Welds on Pressurizer Safety/Relief Nozzle," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 58, pp. 270-275.
- Lee, S.G.., Jin, T.E., Kang, S.S., Kwon, D.I., 2009, "Residual Stress Analysis for Repair Welding in Dissimilar Metal Weld," Journal of KWJS, Vol. 27, pp. 376-381 https://doi.org/10.5781/KWJS.2009.27.4.032
- Limpus, C.R., Dijamco, D.G., Bax, R. and Cofie, N.G., 2007, "Effect of Size of Butt Weld Repairs on Weld Overlay Residual Stresses," ASME PVP Conference, PVP2007-26636.
- "ABAQUS/Standard User's Manual," ABAQUS Version 6.11-1, Dassault Systemes Corp.
- Kim, J.S., Kim, J.H., Bae, H.Y., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Song, T.K., 2012, "Welding Residual Stress Distributions for Dissimilar Metal Nozzle Butt Welds in Pressurized Water Reactors," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, pp. 137-148. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.2.137
- Song, T.K., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Bae, H.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, S.H., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2009, "Effects of Similar Metal Weld on Residual Stress in Dissimilar Metal Weld According to Safe End Length," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 33, pp. 664-672. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.7.664
- Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2008, "Effect of Preemptive Weld Overlay on Residual Stress Mitigation for Dissimilar Metal Weld of Nuclear Power Plant Pressurizer," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, pp. 873-881. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.10.873
- Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2008, "Estimation of Residual Stress Distribution for Pressurizer Nozzle of Kori Nuclear Power Plant Considering Safe End," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, pp. 668-677. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.8.668
- Brickstad, B. and Josefson, B.L., 1998, "A Parametric Study of Residual Stresses in Multi-Pass Butt-Welded Stainless Steel Pipes," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 75, pp. 11-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(97)00117-8
- Elcoate, C.D., Dennis, R.J., Bouchard, P.J. and Smith, M.C., 2005, "Three Dimensional Multi-Pass Repair Weld Simulations," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 82, pp. 244-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2004.08.003
- Lee, H.S., Huh, N.S., Lee, S.G., Park, H.B. and Lee, S.H. 2013, "Crack Growth Analysis due to PWSCC in Dissimilar Metal Butt Weld for Reactor Piping Considering Hydrostatic and Normal Operating Conditions," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, pp. 47-54. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.1.047
- Stress Distributions at the Dissimilar Metal Weld of Safety Injection Nozzles According to Safe-end Length and SMW Thickness vol.39, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.10.979