- Volume 46 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Water Quality Modeling for Autochthonous BOD Effect in Namgang Dam Downstream
자생 BOD 영향에 따른 남강댐 하류부 수질모델링 연구
- Hwang, Soo Deok (Korea Institute of Water end Environment, K-water) ;
- Lee, Sung Jun (Water Environment Research Dept., National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kim, Young Do (Department of Environmental Engineering, Inje University) ;
- Kwon, Jae Hyun (Department of Environmental Engineering, Inje University)
- 황수덕 (한국수자원공사 K-water연구원) ;
- 이성준 (국립환경과학원 물환경연구부) ;
- 김영도 (인제대학교 환경공학과(낙동강유역환경연구센터)) ;
- 권재현 (인제대학교 환경공학과)
- Received : 2012.02.12
- Accepted : 2013.01.07
- Published : 2013.04.30
The TMDL, the watershed-oriented water quality management policy, was introduced to inhibit the total amount of pollutant loading generation, and to develop the region environmentally friendly. However, despite the implementation of TMDL, the water quality of Nam river downstream has worsened continuously since 2005. Diverse pollution sources such as cities and industrial zone are scattered around the Nam river. Eutrophication are caused due to deterioration of water quality by low velocity. BOD concentrations in the eutrophic waters affected by the incoming BOD and the autochthonous BOD by the production of phytoplankton. In this study, the quantitative relation of incoming BOD and autochthonous BOD was analyzed for water quality management. The influence of autochthonous BOD was analyzed using QUALKO2 and QUAL2E. Considering the effects of Chl.a, BOD concentration from QUALKO2 model simulations is higher than BOD concentration from QUAL2E model. The results of QUALKO2 showed higher correlation with the measured data. Autochthonous BOD needs to be managed to solve the water pollution problem of Nam river downstream, which is looking for ways to reduce Chl.a by using the increase of the dam outflow and the improvement of the water quality from WWTP.
Grant : 남강하류 정체수역의 자생BOD 기여도 및 수질영향 평가
Supported by : 경남녹색환경지원센터
- Beck, M.B. (1987). "Water quality modeling: A review of the analysis of uncertainty." Water Resources Research, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 1393-1442. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR023i008p01393
- Brown, L.C., and Barnwell, T.O. (1987). The enhanced stream water quality models QUAL2E and QUAL2E- UNCAS: documentation and user manual. Env. Res. Laboratory. US EPA, EPA/600/3-87/007, Athens, GA. pp. 189
- Choi, H.S., Park, T.J., and Heo, J.S. (1995). "Application of QUAL2E model to water quality prediction of the Nam river." Journal ofThe Korean Society of Environmental Agriculture, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 7-14 (in Korean).
- Choi, J.K., Chung, S.W., and Ryoo, J.I. (2008). "Comparative evaluation of QUAL2E and QUAL-NIER models for water quality prediction in eutrophic river." Journal ofKorean Society on Water Environment, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 54-62 (in Korean).
- Christophersen, N., Neal, C., and Hooper, R.P. (1993). "Modelling the hydrochemistry of catchments: a challenge for the scientific method." Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 152, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(93)90138-Y
- GNDI (Gyeongnam Development Institute)(2010). Improvement plan for water quality in downstream of Namgang dam. Research result, pp. 7-11 (in Korean).
- GP (Gyeongnam Province)(2009). Master plan of Nakdong river 2nd TMDL(Total Maximum Daily Loads) in Gyeongnam Province. Technical Report (in Korean).
- Harper, D. (1993). Eutrophication of freshwater - Principles, problems and restoration. Chapman & Hall, pp. 1-28.
- Jeong, S.W., Lee, J.H., and Heo, H.G. (2004). "Environmental studies in the lower part of the Han river 6. The statistical analysis of eutrophication factors." Journal of Korean Society of Limnology, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 78-86 (in Korean).
- Jun, K.S., and Lee, K.S. (1993). "Application of QUAL2E to the Han river." Journal of Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 20-30 (in Korean).
- Kim, J.G., and Lee, J.Y. (2001). "Application of QUAL2E model for water quality management in the Keum river." Journal of The Korean Environmental Sciences Society, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 119-127 (in Korean).
- Kleissen, F.M., Beck, M.B., and Wheater, H.S. (1990). "The identifiability of conceptual hydrochemical models." Water Resources Research, Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 2979- 2992. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR026i012p02979
- Klepper, O., Scholten, H., and van de Kamer, J.P.G. (1991). "Prediction uncertainty in an ecological model of the Oosterschelde Estuary." Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 10, No. 1-2, pp. 191-209. https://doi.org/10.1002/for.3980100111
- Lee, S.J. (2010). Comparison and evaluation of surface water quality model for water quality prediction in Nakdong river. MS Thesis, Inje University, pp. 49-61 (in Korean).
- NIER (National Institute of Environmental Research) (2004). Development ofwater quality prediction model Nakdong river watershed. Research result (in Korean).
- Park, S.S., and Lee, Y.S. (1993). Use guidelines of STREAM and STRESS model. Kangwon university environmental engineering, pp. 62 (in Korean).
- Seo, D.I., Yun, J.U., and Lee, J.W. (2008). "Comparative analysis of QUAL2E, QUAL2K and CAP steady state water quality modeling results in downstream areas of the Geum river." Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 121-129 (in Korean).
- Shin, S.K., and Park, C.K. (1995). "Water quality management considering autochthonous BOD in the Nakdong river," Conference of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, No. 3, pp. 510-511 (in Korean).
- Shin, S.K., Park, C.K., and Lee, S.W. (1996). "The relationship between chlorophyll-a and BOD in the Nakdong river." Journal of Korean Society ofWater Quality, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 369-375 (in Korean).