- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Driving Performance Simulation of Mining Robot for SMS deposits
해저열수광상 채광 로봇의 해저면 주행성능 시뮬레이션
Lee, Chang-Ho;Kim, Hyung-Woo;Hong, Sup;Kim, Sung-Soo
- Received : 2012.11.27
- Accepted : 2013.04.19
- Published : 2013.04.30
KIOST developed a deep-sea mining robot called "MineRo" to collect manganese nodules in 2007. MineRo operates on flat ground. SMS (seafloor massive sulfide) deposits are shaped like undulating mountains. This paper deals with a numerical analysis model of a mining robot for SMS deposits. The mining robot consists of a tracked vehicle, chassis structure with a turntable, boom arm with 2 articulations, excavation tool, discharging unit, hydro-electric system, and sensing-and-monitoring system. In order to compare and analyze the dynamic responses of the driving mechanism, various tracked vehicles are modeled using commercial software. Straight driving simulations are conducted under undulating ground conditions. A conceptual design of a mining robot with four track systems for SMS deposits is modeled on the basis of these results.
Numerical analysis model;Mining robot;Seafloor massive sulfide deposits;Tracked vehicle
- BostonDynamics, BigDog - The Most Advanced Rough-Terrain Robot on Earth. [Online] Available at: http://www.bostondynamics. com/robot_bigdog.html [Accessed Jan. 2010].
- Agency for Defense Development (ADD), Quadruped Legged Robot. [Online] Available at: http://www.add.re.kr/ [Accessed Jan. 2010].
- Akao Yoji, 1990. History of Quality Function Deployment in Japan. The Best on Quality, IAQ Book Series, Vol. 3, pp. 183-196. International Academy for Quality.
- Choi, J.S., Hong, S., Kim, H.W., 2006. An Experimental Study on Steering Performance of Tracked Vehicle on Deep-sea Cohesive Soft Soil by DOE Using Orthogonal Arrays. Jounal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20(4), 37-42.
- Choi, J.S., Hong, S., Kim, H.W., Yeu, T.K., Lee, T.H., 2008. Applying Axiomatic Design to Design Evaluation of a Deep- Sea Manganese Nodule Miner. The Sea, J. of the Korean Society of Oceanography, 13(3), 246-251.
- Hong, S., Kim, H.W., Choi J.S., Yeu, T.K., Park, S.J., 2008. Development of a Test Miner System for Deep-seabed Manganese Nodule. Joint conference with Korean Association of Ocean Science and Technology Societies, 179-184.
- Kim, H.W., Hong, S., Choi, J.S., Yeu, T.K., 2006. Dynamic Ana lysis of Underwater Tracked Vehicle on Extremely Soft Soil by Using Euler Parameters. Jounal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20(6), 93-100.
- Kim, H.W., Hong, S., Choi, J.S., Yeu, T.K., 2007. Multibody Dynamic Analysis of a Tracked Vehicle on Soft Cohesive Soil. Jounal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 21(1), 69-74.
- Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology(KIOST), 2007. Exploration report for exploration and development work of SMS deposits. Report Number: KODOS07-H.
- RecurDyn, 2006, User's Manual, Ver 6.3, FunctionBay.
- Smith, T.B., Barreiro, J., Smith, D.E., SunSpiral, V., Chavez- Clemente, D., 2008. ATHLETE's Feet: Multi-Resolution Planning for a Hexapod Robot. NASA Center, Report Number: ARC-E-DAA-TN-144.
- Yeu, T.K, Park, S.J., Choi, J.S., Hong, S., Kim, H.W., Won, M.C., 2007. An Experimental Study on Relationship of Tractive Force to Slip for Tracked Vehicle on Deep-sea Soft. Jounal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 21(1), 75-80.