- Volume 13 Issue 4
The SIFT algorithm is being actively researched for various image processing applications including video surveillance and autonomous vehicle navigation. The computation of sin/cos function is the most cost part needed in whole computational complexity and time for SIFT descriptor. In this paper, we implement a hardware to sin/cos function of descriptor on sift feature detection algorithm. The proposed Sin/Cosine processor is coded in Verilog and synthesized and simulated using Xilinx ISE 9.2i. The processor is mapped onto the device Spartan 2E (XC2S200E-PQ208-6). It consumes 149 slices, 233 LUTs and attains a maximum operation frequency of 60.01 MHz. As compared with the software realization, our FPGA circuit can achieve the speed improvement by 40 times in average.
- GholamAli Yaghoubi Sheramin, Shahram Babaie and Reza Kazemi Asl, "Data-Oriented Architecture of Sine and Cosine Functions," International Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering(ICACTE), pp.32-34, 2010.
- Supriya Aggarwal and Kavita Khare, "Hardware Efficient Architecture for Generating Sine/Cosine Waves," International Conference on VLSI Design, pp.57-61, 2012.
- K. Maharatna, A. Troya, S. Banerjee, and E. Grass, "Virtually scaling free adaptive CORDIC rotator," IEEE Proc.-Comp. Dig. Tech., Vol.151, No.6, pp.448-456, 2004(11). https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-cdt:20041107
- Leena Vachhani, K. Sridharan and Pramod K. Meher, "Efficient CORDIC Algorithms and Architectures for Low Area and High Throughput Implementation," IEEE Transactions on Circuit and Systems-I: Express Briefs, Vol.56, No.1, pp.61-65, 2009(1). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2008.2010169
- C. Stauffer and W. E. L Grimson, "Learning patterns of activity using real-time tracking," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol.22, No.8, pp.747-757, 2000(8). https://doi.org/10.1109/34.868677
- U. Ozguner, C. Stiller, and K. Redmill, "Systems for safety and autonomous behavior in cars: The DARPA grand challenge experience," Proc. IEEE, Vol.95, No.2, pp.397-412, 2007(2). https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2006.888394
- C. Y. Lin, P. C. Jo, and C. K. Tseng, "Multi-functional intelligent robot DOC-2," in Proc. IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. Humanoid Robots, pp.530-535, 2006(12).
- D. G. Lowe, "Distinctive Image Features from Scale-Invariant Keypoints," International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol.60, No.2, 2004.
- H. D. Chati, F. Muhlbauer, T. Braun, C. Bobda, and K. Berns, "Hardware/software co-design of a key point detector on FPGA," in Proc. Annual IEEE Symp. Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines, pp.355-356, 2007(4).
- 박찬일, 이수현, 정용진, "임베디드 환경에서 SIFT 알고리즘의 실시간 처리를 위한 특징점 검출기의 하드웨어 구현," 전자공학회, 제46권, SD 편, 제3호, pp.86-95, 2009.
- V. Bonato, E. Marques, and G. A. Constantinides, "A parallel hardware architecture for scale and rotation invariant feature detection," IEEE Trans. Circuits System. Video Tech., Vol.18, No.12, pp.1703-1712, 2008(12). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2008.2004936
- Y. M. Lin, C. H. Yeh, S. H. Yen, C. H. Ma, P. Y. Chen, and C. C. J. Kuo, "Efficient VLSI design for SIFT feature description," International Symposium on Next-Generation Electronics (ISNE), pp.48-51, 2010.