- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Examination of Organizational Communication and Culture as a Moderator of the Relationship between Job Satisfaction and Organizational Performance
직무 만족과 조직 성과의 관계 탐색 : 조직 커뮤니케이션과 조직 문화의 조절 효과
- Received : 2013.02.05
- Accepted : 2013.04.04
- Published : 2013.04.28
This study investigated the role of organizational communication, culture and trust as a moderator of the organizational performance(the growth of production and quality improvement) and job satisfaction. Using data collected from 248 workers at 128 establishments in Changwon industrial complex, morderated regression analyses explored the proposed model. As a result, communication activity and organizational trust was found negatively to moderate the relationship between job satisfaction and quality improvement/the growth of production. And organizational culture was found positively to moderate the relationship between satisfaction and quality improvement. Implications of these findings were discussed.
Organizational Communication;Job Satisfaction;Organizational Performance;Organizational Culture and Trust
- J. D. Pettit, J. R. Goris, and B. C. Vaught, "An examination of organizational communication as a moderator of the relationship between job performance and job satisfaction," The Journal of Business Communication, Vol.34, No.1, pp.81-98, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/002194369703400105
- J. D. Pincus, "Communication satisfaction, job satisfaction, and job performance," Human Communication Research, Vol.12, No.3, pp.395-419, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.1986.tb00084.x
- E. H. Schein, "Organizational culture," American Psychologist, Vol.45, No.2, pp.109-119, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.45.2.109
- D. J Schleicher, J. D. Watt, and G. J. Greguras, "Reexamining the Job Satisfaction-Performance Relationship: The Complexity of Attitudes," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.89, No.1, pp.165-177, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.89.1.165
- D. P. Schwab and L. L. Cummings, "Theories of performance and satisfaction: A review," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Vol.9, No.4, pp.408-430, 1970. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-232X.1970.tb00524.x
- R. M. Steers, "Effects of need for achievement on the job performance-job attitude relationship," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.60, No.6, pp.678-682, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.60.6.678
- G. A. Zangaro and K. L. Soeken, "A meta-analysis of studies of nurses' job satisfaction," Research in nursing & health, Vol.30, pp.445-458, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20202
- M. R. Frone and B. Major, "Communication quality and job satisfaction among managerial nurses: The moderating influence of job involvement," Group & Organization Studies, Vol.13, No.3, pp.332-347, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960118801300306
- J. L. Garnett, J. Marlowe, and S. K. Pandey, "Penetrating the performance predicament: Communication as a mediator or moderator of organizational culture's impact on public organizational performance," Public Administration Review, Vol.68, No.2, pp.266-281, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6210.2007.00861.x
- J. H. Greenhaus and I. J. Badin, "Self-esteem, performance, and satisfaction: Some tests of a theory," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.59, No.6, pp.722-726, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037459
- M. T. Iaffaldano and P. M. Muchinsky, "Job satisfaction and job performance: A meta-analysis," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.97, No.2, pp.251-273, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.97.2.251
- R. Jacobs and T. Solomon, "Strategies for enhancing the prediction of job performance from job satisfaction. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.62, No.4, pp.417-421, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.62.4.417
- T. A. Judge, C. J. Thoresen, J. E. Bono, and G. K. Patton, "The job satisfaction-job performance relationship: A qualitative and quantitative review," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.127, No.3, pp.376-407, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.127.3.376
- M. J. Kimmel, D. G. Pruitt, J. M. Magenau, E. Konar-Goldband, and P. D. Carnevale, "Effects of trust, aspiration, and gender on negotiation tactics," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.38, No.1, pp.9-22, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.168
- E. A. Locke, "The nature and causes of job satisfaction," In M. D. Dunnette (Ed.), Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology(pp. 1292-1350), Chicago, IL: Rand-McNally, 1976.
- P. E. Madlock, "The link between leadership style. commnunication competence, and employee satisfaction," Journal of Business Communication, Vol.45, No.1, pp.61-78, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021943607309351
- A. K. Mishra, "Organizational responses to crisis: The centrality of trust," In R. M. Kramer & T. R. Tyler (Eds), Trust in Organization: Frontiers of Theory and Research, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, pp.261-287, 1996.
- D. W. Organ, "A Reappraisal and reinterpretation of the satisfaction-causes- performance hypothesis," The Academy of Management Review, Vol.2, No.1, pp.46-53, 1977.
- D. W. Organ, "The motivational basis of organizational citizenship behavior," In B. M. Staw & L. L. Cummings (Eds.), Research in organizational behavior, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, Vol.12, pp.43-72, 1990.
- C. Orpen, "Effect of flexible working hours on employee satisfaction and performance: A field experiment," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.66, No.1, pp.113-115, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.66.1.113
- C. Ostroff, "The relationship between satisfaction, attitudes, and performance: An organizational level analysis," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.77, No.6, pp.963-974, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.77.6.963
- C. Ostroff and N. Schmitt, "Configurations of organizational effectiveness and efficiency," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.36, No.6, pp.1345-1361, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/256814
- 김두섭, 강남준, 회귀분석, 나남출판, 2000.
- 이건혁, "직무만족과 조직 성과를 향상시키는 노사 커뮤니케이션의 중심 역할", 스피치와 커뮤니케이션, 제19호, pp.96-123, 2012.
- 이건혁, "커뮤니케이션과 참여, 그리고 조직 성과", 언론과학연구, 제12권, 제3호, pp.268-300, 2012.
- 이건혁, 심상완, "노사 소통이 신뢰 형성과 직무 만족에 미치는 영향-창원공단 노동자 설문조사자료의 분석", 산업노동연구, 제17권, 제2호, pp.105-140, 2011.
- R. S. Bhagat, "Conditions under which stronger job performance-job satisfaction relationships may be observed: A closer look at two situational contingencies," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.25, No.4, pp.772-789, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/256098
- M. A. Blegen, "Nurses' job satisfaction: A meta-analysis of related variables," Nursing Research, Vol.42, No.1, pp.36-41, 1993.
- J. M. Brett and S. B. Goldberg, "Wildcat strikes in bituminous coal mining," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol.32, No,4, pp.465-483, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/2522962
- K. S. Cameron and S. J. Freeman, "Cultural congruence, strength, and type: Relationships to effectiveness," Research in Organizational Change and Development, Vol.5, pp.23-58, 1991.
- P. G. Clampitt and C. W. Downs, "Employee Perceptions of the Relationship between Communication and Productivity: A Field Study," The Journal of Business Communication, Vol.30, No.1, pp.5-28, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1177/002194369303000101
- S. J. Deery and R. D. Iverson, "Labormanagement cooperation: Antecedents and impact on organization performance," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol.58, No.4, pp.588-609, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/001979390505800404
- K. T. Dirks, "The effects of interpersonal trust on work group performance," J. of Applied Psychology, Vol.84, No.3, pp.445-455, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.84.3.445
- K. T. Dirks and D. L. Ferrin, "The role of trust in organizational settings," Organization Science, Vol.12, No.4, pp.450-467, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.12.4.450.10640
- C. W. Downs, P. G. Clampitt, and A. L. Pfeiffer, "Communication and organizational outcomes," In G. M. Goldhaber, and G. A. Barnett (eds). Handbook of Organizational Communication, pp.171-211, New Jersey: Ablex, 1988.
- C. W. Downs and M. D. Hazen, "A factor analytic study of communication satisfaction," The Journal of Business Communication, Vol.14, pp.63-73, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1177/002194367701400306
- B. Erdogan, R. C. Liden, and M. L. Kraimer, "Justice and leader-member exchange: The moderating role of organizational culture," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.49, No.2, pp.395-406, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2006.20786086
- D. B. Fedor, "Recipient responses to performance feedback: A proposed model and its implications," In G. R. Ferris, & K. M. Rowland (Eds.), Research in personnel and human resource management, Vol.9, pp.73-120, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1991.
Supported by : 창원대학교