- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Regulatory Actions of the Cordyceps Militaris Extract on the NEFA and LCAT Activity in Diabetic Disease Model System
동충하초(Cordyceps militaris) 추출물이 당뇨성 질환 모델의 NEFA 및 LCAT 활성 조절작용에 관한 연구
Kim, Han-Soo;Kim, Min-A;Jang, Seong-Ho;Kang, Dong-Soo;Kang, Jin-Soon;Lee, Won-Ki;Lee, Chun-Sik
- Received : 2012.12.13
- Accepted : 2013.03.19
- Published : 2013.04.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of the Cordyceps militaris extract on the improvement of the glucide metabolism in serum of streptozotocin (STZ, 50 mg/kg BW, IP injection)-induced diabetic rats (SD strain, male) fed the experimental diets for 5 weeks. Concentrations of creatinine, lipid peroxide and NEFA in sera were significantly higher in the STZ-induced diabetic group (group DMG) and STZ+Cordyceps militaris extract administration group (group DMS) than those in the control group (group BD). However, the concentrations of creatinine, lipid peroxide and NEFA in sera were reduced in the group DMS than those in the group DMG. The activity of creatine phosphokinase (CPK) in serum was lower in the group DMS than in the group DMG. The activity of LCAT in serum was increased in the group DMS (Cordyceps militaris extract administration) than in the group DMG. The results indicate that Cordyceps militaris extract were effective in the improvement of the glucide metabolism in the sera of STZ-induced diabetic rats.
- Do, S. H., Kwack, K. J., Ko, H., Han, B. M., 1991, A study on the perioperative changes of creatine phosphokinase and lactic dehydrogenase, J. Kor. Soc. Anesth., 24, 56-59. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.19126.96.36.199
- Furuse, M., Kimura, C., Mabayo, R. T., Takahashi, H., Okumura, J., 1993, Dietary sorbose prevents and improves hyperglycemia in genetically diabetic mice, J. Nutr., 123, 59-65. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/123.1.59
- Jo, W. S., Nam, B. H., Oh, S. J., Choi, Y. J., Kang, E. Y., Hong, S. H., Lee, S. H., Jeong, M. H., 2008, Hepatic protective effect and single-dose toxicity study of water extract of Cordyceps militaris grown upon Protaetia dreujtarsis, Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol., 40, 1-5.
- Kelly, F. J., 1998, Use of antioxidants in the prevention and treatment of disease, J. Int. Fed. Clin. Chem., 10, 21-23.
- Kim, H. S., 2004, Effects of the Prunus persica Batsch var. davidiana Max. extract on the blood glucose and serum lipid components in streptozotocininduced diabetic rats, Kor. J. Food Nutr., 17, 337-345.
- Kim, H. S., 2005, The effects of Prunus persica Batsch var. davidiana Max. hot-water extract on the lipid peroxide and creatine phosphokinase activity in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, Kor. J. Food Nutr., 18, 272-278.
- Kim, H. S., Chung, S. Y., 1992, Effects of feeding mixed oils of buffer, sardine and safflower on the lipid components in serum and activities of hepatic functional enzyme in rats, J. Kor. Soc. Food Nutr., 21, 608-616.
- Kim, H. S., Kim, M. A., Jang, S. H., Kang. J. S., Lee, W. K., Ryu, J. Y., 2012, Studies of the Cordyceps militaris extract administration on the metabolic enzyme activities in hypercholesterolemia, J. Environ. Sci., 21, 1213-1219.
- Kim, H. S., Kim, M. A., Jang, S. H., Lee, W. K., Ryu, J. Y., Lee, C. S., 2012, Anti-hyperlipidemic effects of Cordyceps militaris hot-water extract, J. Environ. Sci., 21, 875-881.
- Kim, H. S., Kim, S. H., Cheong, H, S., Kang, J. O., Chung, S. Y., 1993, Effects of the feeding mixed oils with various levels of n-3 and n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid on the lipid components and fatty acid metabolism of serum lipoprotein in hyperlipidemic rats, J. Kor. Soc. Food Nutr., 22, 543-551.
- Kim, M. N., Oh, S. W., Lee, D. S., Ham, S. S., 2001, Antioxidative and antimutagenic effect of the ethanol extract from Cordyceps militaris, Kor. J. Postharv. Sci. Technol., 8, 109-117.
- Kim, O. K., 2011, Antidiabetic metabolism effect on the water extract of Cordyceps militaris in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, J. Kor. Oil Chemists' Soc., 28, 267-272.
- Ko, S. K., Kim, J. S., Choi, Y. E., Lee, S. J., Park, K. S., Chung, S. H., 2002, Anti-diabetic effect of mixed water extract from ginseng Radix rubra, Acanthopanacis cortex and Cordyceps, Kor. J. Pharmacogn., 33, 337-342.
- Kwon, S. H., Jong, W. H., Han, D. S., Kim, M. K., 2001, Effect of dried powders and water extracts of Paecilomyces tenuipes and Cordyceps militaris on lipid metabolism, antioxidative capacity and immune status in rats, Kor. J. Nutr., 34, 271-284.
- Lee, J. J., Han, I. K., Choi, Y. J., Kang, J. S., Chang, Y. S., 1993, Effects of dietary lipid sources and levels on lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase activity and cholesterol metabolism in rats, Kor. J. Nutr., 26, 131-144.
- Kim, H. S., Kim, K. M., 2004, A study on the appropriate normal range of serum creatinine level for Koreans, Kor. J. Nephrol., 23, 721-728.
- Lee, T. H., 1999, Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus, Food Indus. Nutr., 4, 61-65.
- Lim, S. J., Kim, Y. R., 2004, Effects of Benincasa hispida seeds intake on blood glucose and lipid levels in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, Kor. J. Nutr., 37, 259-265.
Seo, J. S., Lee, K. S., Jang, J. H., 2004, Effect of dietary supplementation of
$\beta$-carotene on lipid peroxide level and antioxidative vitamins of diabetic rats, J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr., 33, 72-77. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.1.072
- Seong, J. M., Kim, S. H., Lee, H. J., 1999, Classification and identification of entomopathogenic fungi species, Rural Development Administration, Korea, 215-234.
- Wolff, S. P., 1993, Diabetes mellitus and free radicals, transition metals and oxidative stress in the aetiology of diabetes mellitus and complications, Br. Med. Bull., 49, 642-652. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.bmb.a072637
- Yi, K. N., Rhee, C. S., 1996, Clinical pathology file, Euihakmunwhasa, Seoul, Korea, 128-131.
- Yoon, J. A., Son, Y. S., 2009, Effects of Opuntia ficusindica complexs B (OCB) on blood glucose and lipid metabolism in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, Kor. J. Food Nutr., 22, 48-56.
- Yoon, J. W., Kim, C. J., Park, C. Y., McArthur, R. Q., 1987, Effect of environmental factors on development of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, Clin. Invest. Med., 10, 459-465.