- Volume 8 Issue 3
In this paper, a novel and robust Power System Stabilizer (PSS) is proposed as an effective approach to improve stability in electric power systems. The dynamic performance of proposed PSS has been thoroughly compared with Conventional PSS (CPSS). Both the Real Coded Genetic Algorithm (RCGA) and Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) techniques are applied to optimum tune the parameter of both the proposed PSS and CPSS in order to damp-out power system oscillations. Due to the high sufficiency of both the RCGA and PSO techniques to solve the very non-linear objective, they have been employed for solution of the optimization problem. In order to verify the dynamic performance of these devices, different conditions of disturbance are taken into account in Single Machine Infinite Bus (SMIB) power system. Moreover, to ensure the robustness of proposed PSS in damping the power system multi-mode oscillations, a Multi Machine (MM) power system under various disturbances are considered as a test system. The results of nonlinear simulation strongly suggest that the proposed PSS significantly enhances the power system dynamic stability in both of the SMIB and MM power system as compared to CPSS.
Dynamic stability;Proposed PSS;CPSS;RCGA;PSO;SMIB System;MM system
- Sidhartha Panda and Ramnarayan N. Patel, Improving power system transient stability with an offcenter location of shunt FACTS devices, Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 6, 2006, pp. 365- 368.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic algorithms in search, optimization and Machine learning, Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 1989.
- G.I. Rashed, H.I. Shaheen, X.Z. Duan, S.J. Cheng, "Evo-lutionary optimization techniques for optimal location and parameter setting of TCSC under single line contingency" Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 205, 2008, pp. 133-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2008.05.022
- Y.J. Liu, X.X. He, "Modeling identification of power plant thermal process based on PSO algorithm," in: American Control Conference, 2005, pp. 4484-4489.
- J. Kennedy, R. Eberhart, Swarm Intelligence, 1st ed., Academic press, San Diego, CA, 2001.
- A. D. Falehi, "Simultaneous Coordinated Design of TCSC Based Damping Controller and AVR Based on PSO Technique" International Journal of Engineering, PRZEGLĄD ELEKTROTECHNICZNY (Electrical Review), Vol. 88, No. 5, pp. 136-140, 2012.
- A. D. Falehi, A. Dankoob, S. Amirkhan, H. Mehrjardi, Coordinated Design of STATCOM-Based Damping Controller and Dual-Input PSS to Improve Transient Stability of Power System, International Review of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 3, June 2011.
- A. D. Falehi, M. Rostami, H. Mehrjardi, "Transient Stability Analysis of Power System by Coordinated PSS-AVR Design Based on PSO Technique" International Journal of Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 178-184, 2011.
- S. Panda, Multi-objective evolutionary algorithm for SSSC-based controller design, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 79, No. 6, pp. 937-944, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2008.12.004
- S. Mishra, P.K. Dash, P.K. Hota and M. Tripathy, Genetically optimized neuro-fuzzy IPFC for damping modal oscillations of power system, IEEE Transaction on Power System, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 1140-1147, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2002.804958
- A. D. Falehi, M. Rostami, A Robust Approach Based on RCGA-Optimization Technique to Enhance Power System Stability by Coordinated Design of PSS and AVR, International Review of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 1, February 2011, pp. 371-378.
- A. D. Falehi, M. Rostami, "Design and Analysis of a Novel Dual-input PSS for damping of power system oscillations Employing RCGA-Optimization Technique, International Review of Electrical Engineering", 6 (2011), No. 2, 938-945.
- Zbigniew Lubosuy, dual input quasi-optimal PSS for generating unit with static excitation system, Power Plants and Power Systems Control, Kananaskis, Canada, 25-28 June 2006, pp. 267-283.
- T.R.Jyothsna and K.Vaisakh, Design of a Decentralized Non-linear Controller for Transient Stability Improvement under Symmetrical and Unsymmetrical Fault Condition: A comparative analysis with SSSC, IEEE Power Systems Conference and Exposition, Seattle, March 2009, pp. 1-8.
- F. P. deMello, T. F. Laskowski, Concepts of power systemdynamic stability, IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus Syst. PAS-94 (1975) 827-833.
- V. Mukherjee and S. P. Ghoshal, Application of capacitive energy storage for transient performance improvement of power system, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 79, No. 2, pp. 282-294, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2008.06.013
- D.K. Chaturvedi and O.P. Malik, Generalized neuronbased PSS and adaptive PSS, Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp.1507-1514, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2005.03.013
- A.M. El-Zonkoly, A.A. Khalil and N.M. Ahmied, Optimal tuning of lead-lag and fuzzy logic power system stabilizers using particle swarm optimization, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 36, No. 2, March 2009, pp. 2097-2106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.12.069
- P. Kunder, "Power System Stability and Control", New York: McGraw, Hill, 2001
- P. Shrikant Rao and I. Sen, "Robust pole placement stabilizer design using linear matrix inequalities," IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 3035-3046, February 2000.
- M.A. Abido, "Pole placement technique for PSS and TCSC-based stabilizer design using simulated annealing," Int. J. Electric Power Syst. Res., Vol. 22, No. 8, pp. 543-554, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-0615(00)00027-2
- B.C. Pal, "Robust pole placement versus root-locus approach in the context of damping interarea oscillations in power systems," IEE Proceedings on Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 739-745, 2002.
- L. Rouco, F.L. Pagola, "An eigenvalue sensitivity approach to location and controller design of controllable series capacitor for damping power system oscillations," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 12, No. 4. pp. 1660-1666, 1997.
- M. E. About-Ela, A. A. Sallam, J. D. McCalley and A. A. Fouad, "Damping controller design for power system oscillations using global signals, IEEE Trans on Power Syst, Vol. 11, pp. 767-773, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.496152
- Sidhartha Panda and Narayana Prasad Padhy, Optimal location and controller design of STATCOM for power system stability improvement using PSO, Journal of the Franklin Institute, Vol. 345, No. 2, pp. 166-181, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfranklin.2007.08.002
- R. L. Haupt and S. E. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, New York: Wiley, 2004.
- J. Shi, L. H. Herron and A. Kalam, Optimization of Fuzzy Controllers as Real-time Power System Stabilizers, Engng. Applic. Artif. Lntell, Vol. 7, No. 5, October 1994, pp. 545-558. https://doi.org/10.1016/0952-1976(94)90033-7
- Augment dynamic and transient capability of DFIG using optimal design of NIOPID based DPC strategy 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.12811
- Dynamic stability enhancement of interconnected multi-source power systems using hierarchical ANFIS controller-TCSC based on multi-objective PSO vol.18, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1631/FITEE.1500317
- Design of optimal input–output scaling factors based fuzzy PSS using bat algorithm vol.19, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2016.01.006
- Neoteric HANFISC–SSSC based on MOPSO technique aimed at oscillation suppression of interconnected multi-source power systems vol.10, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0404
- MOPSO based TCSC–ANFIS–POD technique: Design, simultaneous scheme, power system oscillations suppression vol.34, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3233/JIFS-16241
- Optimal Design and Analysis of NIOFPID-Based Direct Power Control to Strengthen DFIG Power Control vol.140, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4039485
- Design and analysis of novel optimal harmonic elimination strategy based on MOPSO to obliterate low-order harmonics of odd-nary cascaded transformers-based multilevel inverter pp.01704214, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/mma.5356