- Volume 8 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study of Optimal Location and Compensation Rate of Thyristor-Controlled Series Capacitor Considering Multi-objective Function
Shin, Hee-Sang;Cho, Sung-Min;Kim, Jin-Su;Kim, Jae-Chul
- Received : 2012.09.06
- Accepted : 2012.10.23
- Published : 2013.05.01
Flexible AC Transmission System (FACTS) application study on enhancing the flexibility of AC power system has continued to make progress. A thyristor-controlled series capacitor (TCSC) is a useful FACTS device that can control the power flow by adjusting line impedances and minimize the loss of power flow and voltage drop in a transmission system by adjusting line impedances. Reduced power flow loss leads to increased loadability, low system loss, and improved stability of the power system. This study proposes the optimal location and compensation rate method for TCSCs, by considering both the power system loss and voltage drop of transmission systems. The proposed method applies a multi-objective function consisting of a minimizing function for power flow loss and voltage drop. The effectiveness of the proposed method is demonstrated using IEEE 14- and a 30-bus system.
Thyristor-controlled series capacitor (TCSC);TCSC optimal location;Flexible AC transmission systems (FACTS);Minimizing power loss
- F. D. Galiana, K. Almeida, M. Toussaint, J. Griffin, and D. Atanackovic, "Assessment and control of the impact of FACTS devices on power system performance," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, Vol. 11, No. 4, Nov. 1996.
- S.-M. Cho, H.-S. Shin, J.-H. Park, and J.-C. Kim, "Distribution System Reconfiguration Considering Customer and DG Reliability Cost," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, No. 4, July. 2012.
- A. Kazemi and B. Badrzadeh, "Modeling and simulation of SVC and TCSC to study their limits on maximum loadability point," Electrical Power Energy Sys., pp. 619-626, Apr. 2004.
- M. K. Verma and S. C. Srivastava, "Optimal placement of SVC for static and dynamic voltage security enhancement," Int. J. Emerging Electric Power Sys., Vol. 2, No. 2, article 1050, Mon. 2005.
- Y. Mansour, W. Xu, F. Alvarado, and C. Rinzin, "SVC placement using critical modes of voltage instability," IEEE Transac. Power Sys., Vol. 9, pp. 757-763, May 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.317664
- M. Shirvani, B. Keyvani, M. Abdollahi, and A. Memaripour, "UPFC Control based on New IP Type Controller," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, No. 5, Sep. 2012.
- F. Jesus, E. Watanabe, L. Souza and J. Eduardo, "SSR and Power Oscillation Damping Using Gate-Controlled Series Capacitors," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 22, No. 3, July. 2007.
- S S.N. Singh and A.K. David, "Optimal location of FACTS devices for congestion management," Elsevier J. EPSR, Vol. No. 58, pp. 71-79, 2001.
- N. Acharya and N. Mithulananthan, "Influence of TCSC on congestion and spot price in electricity market with bilateral contract," Elsevier J. EPSR, Vol. 77, pp. 1010-1018, 2007.
- C. Lehmkoster, "Security constrained optimal power flow for an economical operation of FACTS devices in liberalized energy market," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 17, Apr. (2002).
- B.-W. Kang, H.-S. Shin, J.-S. Huh, J.-C. Kim, T.-K. Oh, and J.-S. Choi, "Study on TCSC modeling and effect analysis using PSCAD/EMTDC," presented at the KIEE Conf., 2012.
- K.-H. Lee, "Optimal siting of TCSC for reducing congestion cost by using shadow prices," Elsevier. EPES., Vol. 24, pp. 647-653, 2002.
- J.-U. Lim, J.-C. Seo, and S.-I. Moon, "Selection of optimal TCSC location to keep the steady-state voltage profile within limits," presented at the KIEE Conf., 1998.
- B. Venkatesh, R. Rakesh, and H. B. Gooi, "Optimal reconfiguration of radial distribution systems to maximize loadability," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 260-266, Feb. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.818739
- University of Washington Electrical Engineering Home page, "Power System Test Case," http://www. ee.washington.edu/research/pstca/
- M. Santiago-Luna and J. R. Cedeno-Maldonado, "Optimal placement of FACTS controllers in power systems via evolution strategies," in Proc. IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution Conf. Expo.: Latin America (TDC'06), 2006, pp. 1-6.
- R. Rajaraman et al., "Determination of location and amount of series compensation to increase power transfer capability," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 294-299, May 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.667338
Supported by : Soongsil University