- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Charging Characteristics of High Voltage Capacitor Chargers Considering the Transformer Stray Capacitance
- Lee, Byungha (Defense Advanced R&D Institute, Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Cha, Hanju (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2012.11.07
- Published : 2013.05.20
In this paper, the charging characteristics of series resonant type high voltage capacitor chargers considering the transformer stray capacitance have been studied. The principles of operation for the four operational modes and the mode changes for the four different switching frequency sections are explained and analyzed in the range of switching frequency below the resonant frequency. It is confirmed that the average charging currents derived from the above analysis results have non-linear characteristics in each of the four modes. The resonant current, resonant voltage, charging current, and charging time of this capacitor charger as variations of the switching frequency, series parallel capacitance ratio (
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- I. W. Jung, J. S. Kim, G. I. Gusev, and G. H. Rim, "Design of 35 kJ/s 25 kV capacitor charging power supply for pulsed power system," in Proc. IEEE-IECON, pp. 2860-2863, 2004.
- A. C. Lippincott and R. M. Nelms, "A capacitor-charging power supply using a series-resonant topology, constant on-time/variable frequency control, and zero-current switching," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electr. Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 438-447, Dec. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.107099
- B. Lee and H. Cha, "Comparative analysis of charging mode of series resonant converter for a energy storage capacitor," in Proc. IEEE-APEC, pp. 2200-2205, Feb. 2012.
- Colonel Wm. T. McLyman, Transformer and Inductor Design Handbook, 2nd ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York, chap. 6, 1988.
- I. R. McNab, F. Stefani, M. Crawford, M. Eregnil, C. Persad, S. Satapathy, H. Vanicek, T. Watt, and C. Dampier, "Development of a naval railgun," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 206-210, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2004.839285
- M. Del Guercio, "A 4.5-MJ pulsed power supply for railgun experiments," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 280-284, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2002.805926
- T. Wolfe, P. Riedy, J. Drake, F. MacDougall, and J. Bernardes, "Preliminary design of a 200 MJ pulsed power system for a naval railgun proof of concept facility," in Proc. 15th International Pulsed Power Conf., pp. 70-74, 2005.
- J. M. Neri and B. M. Human, "Operation of a 5-MJ capacitor bank for EML materials testing," in Proc. 16th International Pulsed Power Conf., pp. 1736-1739, 2007.
- G. Ortiz, D. Bortis, J. Biela, and J. W. Kolar, "Optimal design of a 3.5 kV/11 kW DC-DC converter for charging capacitor banks of power modulators," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 38, No. 10, pp. 2565-2573, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2009.2038162
- S.-H. Kim, B.-S. Kim, Y.-D. Lee, B.-K. Kwon, J.-S. Kim, C.-H. Choi, and S.-G. Choi, "A new capacitor charging power supply using phase-shifted PWM full-bridge converter," in Proc. IEEE-ECCE, pp. 490-494, 2009.
- H. Sheng, W Shen, H. Wang, D. Fu, Y. Pei, X. Yang, F. Wang, D. Boroyevich, F. C. Lee, and C. W. Tipton, "Design and implementation of a high power density three-level parallel resonant converter for capacitor charging pulsed-power supply," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 1131-1140, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2011.2108319
- M. Borage, S. Tiwari, and S. Kotaiah, "Constant-current, constant- voltage half-bridge resonant power supply for capacitor charging," IEE Electr. Power. Appl., Vol. 153, No. 3, pp. 343-347, May 2006. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20050338
- Q. Tan, F. Lin, S. Wang, H. Zhong, G. Liu, and Y. Deng, "Improved capacitor charging power supply for a power conditioning system," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 18, No. 4, pp.1214- 1220, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2011.5976118
- Z. Zhang, Q. Liu, Z. Wu, Q. Wang and H. Yang, "Design and implementation of HF AC-link capacitor charging power supply," in Proc. AIMSEC, pp. 3856-3859, 2011.
- Y. Gao, Y. Sun, P. Yan, and Y. Shi, "High power capacitor charging power supply for EML applications," in Proc. 14th Electromagnetic Launch Technology Sympos., pp. 10-18, 2008.
- A. K. Jain, C. P. Henze, C. B. Henze and K. Conroy, "Development of a 350kW,10kV pulse power converter for capacitor charging," in Proc. IEEE-APEC., pp. 1164-1170, 2007.
- Investigation of thermal effects and lifetime estimation of electrolytic double layer capacitors during repeated charge and discharge cycles in dedicated application 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00202-016-0482-2