- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Design of Coupled Inductors for Two-Phase Interleaved DC-DC Converters
- Lee, Jong-Pil (Power Conversion & Control Research Center, KERI) ;
- Cha, Honnyong (School of Energy Eng., Kyungpook National University) ;
- Shin, Dongsul (Dept. of Electrical Eng., Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Kyoung-Jun (Dept. of Electrical Eng., Pusan National University) ;
- Yoo, Dong-Wook (Power Conversion & Control Research Center, KERI) ;
- Yoo, Ji-Yoon (Dept. of Electrical Eng., Korea University)
- Received : 2012.09.04
- Published : 2013.05.20
Multiphase dc-dc converters are widely used in modern power electronics applications due to their advantages over single-phase converters. Such advantages include reduced current stress in both the switching devices and passive elements, reduced output current ripple, and so on. Although the output current ripple of a converter can be significantly reduced by virtue of the interleaving effect, the inductor current ripple cannot be reduced even with the interleaving PWM method. One way to solve this problem is to use a coupled inductor. However, care must be taken in designing the coupled inductor to maximize its performances. In this paper, a detailed analysis of a coupled inductor is conducted and the effect of a coupled inductor on current ripple reduction is investigated extensively. From this analysis, a UU core based coupled inductor structure is proposed to maximize the performance of the coupled inductor.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- F. Yang, X. Ruan, Y. Yang, and Z. Ye, "Interleaved critical current mode boost PFC converter with coupled inductor," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 2404-2413, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2106165
- A. Knight, J. Ewanchuk, and J. Salmon, "Coupled three-phase inductors for interleaved inverter switching," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 11, pp. 4119-4122, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2008.2004263
- J. Salmon, J. Ewanchuk, and A. Knight, "PWM inverters using split-wound coupled inductors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 2001-2009, Nov./Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2031902
- A. F. Witulski, "Introduction to modeling of transformers and coupled inductors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 349-357, May 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.388001
- W. Pit-Leong, X. Peng, P. Yang, and F. C. Lee, "Performance improvements of interleaving VRMs with coupling inductors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 499-507, Jul. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.931059
- M. Xu, J. Zhou, K. Yao, and F. C. Lee, "Small signal modeling of a high bandwidth voltage regulator using coupled inductors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 399-406, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.889905
- G. Zhu, B. McDonald, and K. Wang, "Modeling and analysis of coupled inductors in power converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 1355-1363, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2079953
- H. B. Shin, J. G. Park, S. K. Chung, H. W. Lee, and T. A. Lipo, "Generalised steady-state analysis of multiphase interleaved boost converter with coupled inductors," Electric Power Applications, IEE Proceedings, Vol. 152, pp. 584-594, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20045052
- P. Wong, "Performance Improvement Of Multi-Channel Interleaving Voltage Regulator Modules With Integrated Coupling Inductors," Ph.D. dissertation, Dept. Electr. Comput. Eng., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Mar. 2001.
- L. Jieli, C. R. Sullivan, and A. Schultz, "Coupled-inductor design optimization for fast-response low-voltage dc-dc converters," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 817-823, 2002.
- L. Jieli, A. Stratakos, A. Schultz, and C. R. Sullivan, "Using coupled inductors to enhance transient performance of multi-phase buck converters," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 1289-1293, 2004.
- S. Chandrasekaran and L. U. Gokdere, "Integrated Magnetics for Interleaved DC-DC Boost Converter for Fuel Cell Powered Vehicles," in Proc. PESC, pp.356-361, 2004.
- P. Zumel, O. Garcia, J. A. Cobos, and J. Uceda, "Magnetic integration for interleaved converters," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 1143-1149, 2003.
- L. Yim-Shu, W. Leung-Pong, and D. K. W. Cheng, "Simulation and design of integrated magnetics for power converters," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 1008-1018, Mar. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2003.808579
- J. Gallagher, "Coupled inductors improve multiphase buck efficiency," Power Electron. Technol. Mag., pp. 36-42, Jan. 2006.
- S. Xiao, W. Qui, T. Wu, and I. Batarseh, "Investigating effects of magnetizing inductance on coupled-inductor voltage regulators," in Proc. IEEE APEC, pp. 1569-1574, 2008.
- Analysis of fly-buck converter with emphasis on its cross-regulation vol.10, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2016.0272
- High Gain Soft-Switching Bidirectional DC–DC Converter for Eco-Friendly Vehicles vol.29, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2271328
- Design and Analysis of Planar Symmetric Six-Phase Coupled Inductors vol.51, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2014.2383358
- 2-Phase Bidirectional Non-Inverting Buck-Boost Converter using Coupled Inductor vol.19, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2014.19.6.481
- Three-Level Zeta Converter using a Coupled Inductor vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2016.21.3.191
- High Gain Boost Interleaved Converters with Coupled Inductors and with Demagnetizing Circuits vol.11, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11010130
- Small-Signal Modeling of the LLC Half-Bridge Resonant Converter pp.1793-6454, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218126619500634