- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Transformer Leakage Inductance on the Steady State Performance of Push-pull based Converter with Continuous Current
- Chen, Qian (School of Electrical and Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Zheng, Trillion Q. (School of Electrical and Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Li, Yan (School of Electrical and Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University) ;
- Shao, Tiancong (School of Electrical and Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2012.11.07
- Published : 2013.05.20
As a result of the advantages such as high efficiency, continuous current and high stability margin, push-pull converter with continuous current (PPCWCC) is competitive for battery discharge regulator (BDR) which plays an important role in power conditioning unit (PCU). Leakage inductance yields current spike in low-ripple current of PPCWCCs. The operating modes are added due to leakage inductance. Therefore the steady state performance is affected, which is embodied in the spike of low-ripple current. PPCWCCs which are suitable for BDR can be separated into three types by current spike characteristics. Three representative topologies IIs1, IIcb2 and Is3 are analyzed in order to investigate the factors on the magnitude and duration of spike. Equivalent current sampling method (ECSM) which eliminates the sampling time delay and achieves excellent dynamic performance is adopted to prevent the spike disturbance on current sampling. However, ECSM reduces the sampling accuracy and telemetry accuracy due to neglecting the spike. In this paper, ECSM used in PPCWCCs is summarized. The current sampling error is analyzed in quality and quantity, which provides the foundation for offsetting and enhancing the telemetry accuracy. Finally, current sampling error rate of three topologies is compared by experiment results, which verify the theoretical analysis.
- D. H. Jang and S. K. Han. "Low cost high power density photovoltaic power conditioning system with an energy storage system," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 487-494, May. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.3.487
- M. S. Ali, H. S. Bae, and S. J. Lee. "Regulated peak power tracking (RPPT) System using parallel converter topologies," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 870-879, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.6.870
- D. O'Sullivan, "Space power electronics-design drivers," ESA Journal, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.1-23, 1994.
- D. Wolfgang and D. Willi, "Generic 100V/high power bus conditioning," in Proceeding of 7th European Space Power Conference, 2005.
- L. Soubrier and E. Trehet, "High power PCU for alphabus: PSR100V," in Proceeding of. 9th European Space Power Conference, 2011.
- L. Soubrier, P. Besdel, T. Daubresse, and E. Trehet, "High performance BDR for the PCU of alphabus," in Proceeding of 8th European Space Power Conference, 2008.
- E. Sanchis-Kilders, E. Maset, and A. H. Weinberg, "ion drive propulsion MPP power conditioning system without battery," in Proceeding of 8th European Space Power Conference, 2008.
- E. Maset and A. Ferrers, "5kW Weinberg converter for battery discharging in high-power communications satellites," in Proceeding of IEEE PESC Conference, pp. 69-75, 2005.
- A. H. Weinberg and P. Rueda Boldo, "A high power, high frequency, DC to DC converter for space applications," in Proceeding of IEEE PESC Conference, pp. 1140-1147, 1992.
- Q. Chen, T. Q. Zheng, and Y. Li, "Derivation and characterization of single-inductor push-pull based topology with continuous current," Proceedings of the CSEE, to be published.
- Qian Chen, T. Q. Zheng, and Y. LI, "Continuous current push-pull based topology with coupling inductor used in spacecraft," Transactions of china electrotechnical society, to be published.
- J. Aroca, D. Olsson, and J. Maicas, "An efficient BDR topology, able to handle a large battery voltage range," in Proceedings of 5th European Space Power Conference. pp. 33-38, 1999
- N. Nicolas, L. Didier, A. Peter, etal. "A new modular and flexible power system for LEO missions," in Proceeding of 9th European Space Power Conference, 2011.
- P. Morsaniga, G. Gervasio, and G. Cuzzocrea, "Bepicolombo electrical power system," in Proceeding of 9th European Space Power Conference, 2011.
- O. Dan, "Lessons learnt in-flight-the STRV micro-satellite power system," in Proceeding of 4th European Space Power Conference, 1995.
- M. M. Hansen, "Power conditioning unit for bepicolombo transfer module," in Proceeding of 8th European Space Power Conference, 2008.
- H. Jensen and J. Laursen, "Power conditioning unit for Rosetta/Mars express," in Proceeding of 6th European Space Power Conference, pp. 249-256, 2002.
- J. P. Castiaux, E. Lecomte, and J. M. Labille, "Modular high power conditioning unit," in Proceeding of 5th European Space Power Conference, pp. 99-104, 1998.
- A. Garrigos, J. A. Carrasco, J. M. Blanes, and E. Sanchis-Kilders, "A power conditioning unit for high power GEO satellites based on the sequential switching shunt series regulator," in Proceeding of MELECON, pp. 1186-1189, 2006.
- C. S. Clark, A. H. Weinberg, and K. W. Hall, "The design and performance of a power system for the galileo system test bed (GSTB-V2/A)," in Proceeding of 7th European Space Power Conference, pp.155-162, 2005.
- K. H. Park, C. H. Kim, and H. K. Cho. "Design considerations of a lithium ion battery management system (bms) for the STSAT-3 satellite," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 210-217, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.2.210
- Research on High Efficiency Non-Isolated Push-Pull Converters with Continuous Current in Solar-Battery Systems vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.432
- A Novel Soft-Switching Battery Charge/Discharge Converter with Zero Voltage Discharge Function 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2482758
- Method for improving the audio susceptibility and input impedance of stacked boost converters vol.7, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0894
- Active damping method to reduce the output impedance of the DC–DC converters vol.8, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0911
- Modeling and Analysis of an Avionic Battery Discharge Regulator vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.3.1218