- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Cost-effective Power System with an Electronic Double Layer Capacitor for Reducing the Standby Power Consumption of Consumer Electronic Devices
- Park, Kyung-Hwa (Defense Agency for Technology and Quality (DtaQ)) ;
- Yi, Kang-Hyun (School of Electrical and Electric Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2012.11.16
- Published : 2013.05.20
Commercial home appliances using remotely controlled systems consume electric power while in standby mode to prepare for receiving a remote turn-on signal. The proposed power system can significantly reduce standby power consumption without increasing cost. Furthermore, since a Electronic Double Layer Capacitor (EDLC) is used as an auxiliary power storage element, the life cycle is longer and system reliability can be better than with existing approaches. When the energy of the EDLC is not sufficient for turning on the appliance, the power system charges the EDLC without affecting the main system. The proposed power system is verified with a commercial LCD TV and a 3.93mW standby consumption is obtained. This standby consumption can be regarded as zero standby equipment according to the IEC-62031 standard.
- N.-G. Kim, "The present and future on the standby power of home appliance in korea," Journal of The Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 22-25, Aug. 2006.
- [Online]Available:http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/s tandby-power-electricity-consumption.html
- L. McGarry, "The standby power challenge," 2004 International IEEE Conference on Asian Green Electronics(AGEC), pp. 56-62, 2004.
- T. Ahmed, S. Chandhaket, M. Nakaoka, S.-H. Jung, and H.-W. Lee, "A flyback transformer linked soft switching PWM DC-DC Power converter using trapped energy recovery passive quasi-resonant snubbers with an auxiliary three-winding transformer," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 237-245 , Oct. 2004.
- K.-B. Park, C.-E. Kim, G.-W. Moon, and M.-J. Youn, "a new high efficiency pwm single-switch isolated converter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 301-309, Oct. 2007.
- M.-G. Kim and Y.-S. Jung, "a novel soft-switching two-switch flyback converter with a wide operating range and regenerative clamping," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 772-780 , Sep. 2009.
- H. S. Choi and D. Y. Huh, "Techniques to minimize power consumption of SMPS in standby mode," in Proc. IEEE Power Electron. Spec. Conf., pp. 2817-2822, 2005.
- K. Y. Lee and Y. S. Lai, "Novel circuit design for two-stage AC/DC converter to meet standby power regulations," IET Power Electron., Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 625-634, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0190
- Y. K. Lo, S. C. Yen, and C. Y. Lin, "A high-efficiency AC-to-DC adaptor with a low standby power consumption," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 963-965, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907673
- S. Y. R. Hui, H. S. H. Chung, and D. Y. Qiu, "Effective standby power reduction using non-dissipative single-sensor method," in Proc. IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conf., pp. 678-684, 2008.
- J. H. Choi and D. Y. Huh, "Control for a switching power supply having automatic burst mode operation," Patent, No., US7064968.
- Power Integrations application note AN-48, CAPZeroTM Design Considerations.
- S. J. Choi and J. H. Son, "Standby power reduction device," Republic of Korea Patent 10-2010-0015112, Oct. 21, 2010.
- C. H. Tsai, Y. W. Bai, C. A. Chu, C. Y. Chung, and M. B. Lin, "Designand Implementation of a Socket with Zero Standby Power using a Photovoltaic Array," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 2686-2693, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2010.5681157
- S. Kang, K. Park, S. Shin, K. Chang, and H. Kim, "Zero standby power remote control system using light power transmission," IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 1622-1627, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2011.6131134
- L. Chen, Z. Wang, C. Jia, F. Li, W. Hao, B. Xiao, C. Zhang, and Z.Wang, "A RF remote-control transceiver with zero-standby power based on RFID technology," Proc. PrimeAsia, pp. 243-246, Sep. 2010.
- K. H. Yi, "Cost-effective power system design reducing standby power consumption for the consumer electronic devices," Proc. APEC 2013, pp. 3161-3165, Mar. 2013.
- M. Uno and K. Tanaka, "Accelerated charge-discharge cycling test and cycle life prediction model for supercapacitors in alternative battery applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 12, pp. 4704-4712, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2182018
- A cost-effectiveness assessment model using grey correlation analysis for power transformer selection based on life cycle cost vol.43, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1108/K-07-2013-0160
- Simple MOSFET gating delay scheme for SMPS start-up in the standby power reduction circuit 2017, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2016.0602
- Reducing Standby Power Consumption System by Monitoring the AC Input Current for the AV Devices vol.65, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2016.65.9.1493