- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Controller Design of a Novel Power Conditioning System with an Energy Storage Device for Renewable Energy Sources under Grid-Connected Operation
- Park, Sun-Jae (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Lee, Hwa-Seok (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Kim, Chan-In (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Park, Joung-Hu (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Jeon, Hee-Jong (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Ryeom, Jeongduk (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Soongsil University)
- Received : 2012.03.26
- Published : 2013.05.20
As a result of the depletion of fossil fuels and environmental contamination, it has become important to use renewable energy. For the stable utilization of renewable energy sources, energy storage devices must be used. In addition, renewable and distributed power sources with energy storage devices must operate stably under grid-connected mode. This paper proposed dynamic response modeling for renewable power generation systems including a charger/discharger with an energy storage device in order to derive a method to guarantee stable operation while fully utilizing the energy from the energy storage device. In this paper, the principle operation and design guidelines of the proposed scheme are presented, along with a performance analysis and simulation results using MATLAB and PSIM. Finally, a hardware prototype of a 1kW power conditioning system with an energy storage device has been implemented for experimental verification of the proposed converter system.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning(KETEP)
- R. Calabria, "Grid-Connected photovoltaic systems with energy storage," Clean Electrical Power, 2009 International Conference on, pp. 760 - 767, 9-11 Jun. 2009.
- S. Mazumder, R. Burra, and K. Acharya, "Power Conditioning System for Energy Sources," Pub. No.: US 2006/0062034 A1, Mar. 23, 2006.
- P. T. Krein and Jr. R. S. Balog, "Methods for Minimizing Double-Frequency Ripple Power in Single-Phase Power Conditioning," Patent No.: US 7, pp. 755, 916 B2, Jul. 13, 2010.
- R. S. Bhatia, D. P. Jain, D. K. Jain, and B. Singh, "Battery energy storage system for power conditioning of renewable energy sources," Power Electronics and drives systems, International conference on, pp. 501-506, Apr. 2006.
- R. Mittal, K. S. Sandhu, and D. K. Jain, "Battery energy storage system for variable speed driven PMSG for wind energy conversion system," Power electronics, Drives and energy systems (PEDES) & 2010 Power India, 2010 Joint international conference on, pp.1-5, Feb. 2010.
- A. Goikoetxea, J. A. Barrena, M. A. Rodriguez, and G. Abad, "Grid manager design using battery energy storage systems in weak power systems with high penetration of wind energy," International conference on renewable energies and power quality, Mar. 2010.
- A. Izena, H. Kihara, T. Shimojo, K. Hirayama, N. Furukawa, T. Kageyama, T. Goto, and C. Okamura, "The role of energy storage for mini-grid stabilization," Power engineering society general meeting, 2006.
- S. Vazquez, S. M. Lukic, E. Galvan, and L. G. Franquelo, "Energy storage systems for transport and grid applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 12, pp. 3881-3895, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2076414
- J.-Y. Kim , J.-H. Jeon, and S.-K. Kim, "Coordinated Stateof- Charge Control Strategy for Microgrid during Islanded Operation," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 824-833, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.824
- S.-J. Park, S. Mun, J.-H. Park, and H.-J. Jeon, "Controller design of power conditioning systems with energy storage device for renewable energy source under stand-alone operation," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, pp. 1967-1972, Feb. 2012.
- J.-H. Lee, J.-H. Park, and H. Jeon, "Series-connected forward-flyback converter for high step-up power conversion," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 3629-3641, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2162747
- A.-Y. Jung, J.-H. Park, and H.-J. Jeon, "Analysis and design of phase-interleaving series-connected module-integrated converter for DC-link ripple reduction of multi-stage photovoltaic power systems," Progress In Photovoltaics: Research And Applications, Feb. 2012.
- J.-M. Kwon, K.-H. Nam, and B.-H. Kwon, "Photovoltaic power conditioning system with line connection," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 1048-1054, Jun. 2006.
- K. Agbossou, M. Kolhe, J. Hamelin, and T. K. Bose, "Performance of a stand-alone renewable energy system based on energy storage as hydrogen," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 633-640, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.827719
- A. K. Abdelsalam, A. M. Massoud, S. Ahmed, and P. Enjeti, "High-performance adaptive perturb and observe MPPT technique for photovoltaic-based microgrids," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 1010-2021, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2106221
- E. M. Ahmed, "Variable step size maximum power point tracker using a single variable for stand-alone battery storage PV systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 113-243, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.2.113
- S.-E. Lee , D.-J. Won , I.-Y. Chung, "Operation scheme for a wind farm to mitigate output power variation," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 869-875, Nov. 2012,. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.869
- S. Makhloufi and R. Abdessemed, "Type-2 fuzzy logic optimum PV/inverter sizing ratio for grid-connected PV systems," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 731-741, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.6.731
- J.-H. Park, J.-Y. Ahn, B.-H. Cho, and G.-J. Yu, "Dualmodule- based maximum power point tracking control of photovoltaic systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 1036-1047, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.878330
- I.-B. Song, D.-Y. Jung, Y.-H. Ji, S.-C Choi, S-W Lee, and C.-Y. Won, "A residential 10kWh lithium-polymer battery energy storage system," 8th international conference on Power Electronics-ECCE Asia, pp. 2625-2630, May 2011.
- N. Fermia, G. Petrone, and G. Spagnulolo, "A technique for improving P&O MPPT performances of double-stage gridconnected photovoltaic systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 11, pp. 4473-4482, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2029589
- G.-H. Choe, H.-S. Kim, H.-S. Heo, B.-H. Jeong, Y.-H. Choi, and J.-C. Kim, "Utility Interactive PV Systems with Power Shaping Function for Increasing Peak Power Cut Effect," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 8 No. 4, pp. 291-382, Oct. 2008.
- S.-J. Park, J.-H. Park, and H.-J. Jeon, "Controller design of grid-connected power conditioning system with energy storage device," Electrical Machines and Systems International Conference on, pp. 1-6, Aug. 2011.
- Z. Wang, G. Li, G. Li, and H. Yue, "Studies of multi-type composite energy storage for the photovoltaic generation system in a micro-grid," Electric Utility Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies (DRPT), pp. 791-796, Jul. 2011.
- M. E. Glavin, P. K. W. Chan, and W. G. Hurley, "Optimization of autonomous hybrid energy storage system for photovoltaic applications," Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, 2009, pp.1417-1424, Sep. 2009.
- X. Liu, P. Wang, P. C. Loh, F. Gao, and F. H. Choo, "Control of hybrid battery/ultra-capacitor energy storage for stand-alone photovoltaic system," Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2010 IEEE, pp. 336-341, Sep. 2010.
- D.-H. Jang, S.-K. Ji, C.-W. Roh, S.-S. Hong, and S.-K. Han, "High power density and low cost photovoltaic power conditioning system with energy storage system," IPEC, 2010 Conference Proceedings, pp. 235-240, Oct. 2010.
- Y. Deng, S. Y. Foo, and H. Li, "Study of bidirectional DCDC converter interfacing energy storage for vehicle power management using real time digital simulator (RTDS)," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 479-489, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.4.479
- S. Mehrnami and S. Farhangi, "Innovative decision reference based algorithm for photovoltaic maximum power point tracking," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10 No. 5, pp. 528-537, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.528
- S. K. Chung, "Transient characteristics of high-voltage flyback transformer operating in discontinuous conduction mode," Electric Power Applications, IEE Proceedings, Vol. 151, No. 5, pp. 628-6349, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20040430
- M. K. Kazimierczuk, N. Sathappan, and D. Czarkowski, "Voltage mode controlled PWM buck DC-DC converter with a proportional controller," Aerospace and Electronics Conference, NAECON 1993, Proceedings of the IEEE 1993 National, 0-7803-1295-3. pp. 413-419, May 1993.
- M. G. Vilalva, T. G. de Siquerira, and E. Ruppert, "Voltage regulation of photovoltaic arrays: small-signal analysis and control design," Power Electronics, IET, pp. 869-880, Nov. 2010.
- B. Johansson, "DC-DC Converters Dynamic Model Design and Experimental Verification," Lund University, Doctoral Dissertation in Industrial Automation Department of Industrial Electrical Engineering and Automation. 2004.
- Y. Panov and M. Jovanovic, "Practical issues of input/output impedance measurements in switching power supplies and application of measured data to stability analysis," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 2005. APEC 2005. Twentieth Annual IEEE, pp. 1339-1345, Mar. 2005.
- Study on optimal configuration of the grid-connected wind–solar–battery hybrid power system vol.36, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/14786451.2015.1081908
- Bidirectional Power Conversion of Isolated Switched-Capacitor Topology for Photovoltaic Differential Power Processors vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.5.1629
- Dynamic Analysis and Controller Design for Standalone Operation of Photovoltaic Power Conditioners with Energy Storage vol.9, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.2004
- Implementation of Non-time-varying Duty Ratio Transfer Function for Improvement of Control Characteristics Bi-directional Charger vol.19, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2014.19.2.124