- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Advanced Repetitive Controller to Improve the Voltage Characteristics of Distributed Generation with Nonlinear Loads
- Trinh, Quoc-Nam (School of Electrical Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- Lee, Hong-Hee (School of Electrical Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2012.09.21
- Published : 2013.05.20
This paper presents an enhanced control strategy which consists of a proportional-integral controller and a repetitive controller (RC) for improving the voltage performance of distributed generation (DG) under nonlinear load conditions. The proposed voltage controller is able to maintain a sinusoidal voltage at the point of common coupling (PCC) of the DG regardless of the harmonic voltage drop in the system impedance due to nonlinear load currents. In addition, by employing the delay time of the RC at one-sixth of the fundamental period, the proposed RC can overcome the slow response drawback of the traditional PI-RC. The proposed control strategy is analyzed and the design of the RC is presented in detail. The feasibility of the proposed control strategy is verified through simulation and experimental results.
Supported by : NRF of Korea
- M. Borbely and J. F. Kreider, Distributed Generation The Power Paradigm for the New Millennium. CRC Press, 2001.
- F. Blaabjerg, R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and A.V. Timbus, "Overview of control and grid synchronization for distributed power generation systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 5, pp1398-1409, Oct. 2006.
- R. Noroozian, G. Gharehpetian, M. Abedi, and M. Mahmoodi, "Grid-Tied and Stand-Alone Operation of Distributed Generation Modules Aggregated by Cascaded Boost Converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp.97-105 , Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.1.097
- R. Bojoi, L. R. Limongi, D. Roiu, and A. Tenconi, "Enhanced power quality control strategy for single-phase inverters in distributed generation systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp.798-806, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2103572
- S.-H. Ko, S.-W. Lee, S.-R. Lee, C. V. Nayar, and C.-Y. Won, "Design considerations for a distributed generation system using a voltage-controlled voltage source inverter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp.643-653, Jul. 2009.
- R. Teodorescu and F. Blaabjerg, "Flexible control of small wind turbines with grid failure detection operating in stand-alone or grid-connected mode,"IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1323-1332, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.833452
- Z. Chen, Y Hu, and F. Blaabjerg, "Control of distributed power systems" in Proceedings of International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference 2006 (IPEMC '06), pp. 1-6, Aug. 2006.
- H. Patel and V. Agarwal, "Control of a stand-alone inverter-based distributed generation source for voltage regulation and harmonic compensation," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 23, No .2, pp. 1113-1120, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.915890
- H. Nian and R. Zeng, "Improved control strategy for stand alone distributed generation system under unbalanced and non linear loads," IET Renew. Power Gener, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 323-331, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2010.0216
- K. Zhang, Y. Kang, J. Xiong, and J. Chen, "Direct Repetitive Control of SPWM Inverters for UPS Purpose," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 784-792, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.810846
- P. C. Loh, Y. Tang, F. Blaabjerg, and P. Wang, "Mixed-frame and stationary-frame repetitive control schemes for compensating typical load and grid harmonics," IET. Power Electron., Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 218-226, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2009.0222
- B. Zhang, D. Wang, K. Zhou, and Y. Wang, "Linear phase lead compensation repetitive control of a CVCF PWM inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 1595-1602, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.917105
- K. Zhou, K.-S. Low, D. Wang, F.-L. Luo, B. Zhang, and Y. Wang, "Zero-phase odd-harmonic repetitive controller for a single-phase PWM inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 193-201, Jan. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.861190
- G. Escobar, J. Leyva-Ramos, P. R. Martinez, and A. A. Valdez, "A repetitive-based controller for the boost converter to compensate the harmonic distortion of the output voltage," IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol., Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 500-508, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2004.841666
- Cho. Y and Lai. J, "Digital plug-in repetitive controller for single-phase bridgeless PFC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 165-175, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2196288
- Y. He, J. Liu, J. Tang, Z. Wang, and Y. Zou, "Deadbeat control with a repetitive predictor for three-level active power filters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp.583-590 , Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.4.583
- A. Garcia-Cerrada, O. Pinzon-Ardila, V. Feliu-Batlle, P. Ron-cero-Sanchez, and P. Garcia-Gonzalez, "Application of a repetitive controller for a three-phase active power filter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 237-246, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.886609
- R. Grino, R. Cardoner, R. Costa-Castello, and E. Fossas, "Digital repetitive control of a three-phase four-wire shunt active filter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 1495-1503, Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.894790
- Analysis and Application of Repetitive Control Scheme for Three-Phase Active Power Filter with Frequency Adaptive Capability vol.11, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.3.618
- Low Cost and High Performance UPQC with Four-Switch Three-Phase Inverters vol.10, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.3.1015
- Application of a C-Type Filter Based LCFL Output Filter to Shunt Active Power Filters vol.13, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.6.1058
- An Enhanced Grid Current Compensator for Grid-Connected Distributed Generation Under Nonlinear Loads and Grid Voltage Distortions vol.61, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2320218
- Versatile Shunt Hybrid Power Filter to Simultaneously Compensate Harmonic Currents and Reactive Power vol.10, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.3.1311
- Versatile UPQC Control System with a Modified Repetitive Controller under Nonlinear and Unbalanced Loads vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.4.1093
- An Enhanced Harmonic Voltage Compensator for General Loads in Stand-alone Distributed Generation Systems vol.13, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.6.1070