- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Multivariable Optimal Control of a Direct AC/AC Converter under Rotating dq Frames
- Wan, Yun (Key Laboratory of Control of Power Transmission and Conversion, Ministry of Education Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Liu, Steven (Institute of Control Systems, University Kaiserslautern) ;
- Jiang, Jianguo (Key Laboratory of Control of Power Transmission and Conversion, Ministry of Education Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
- Received : 2013.01.19
- Published : 2013.05.20
The modular multilevel cascade converter (MMCC) is a new family of multilevel power converters with modular realization and a cascaded pattern for submodules. The MMCC family can be classified by basic configurations and submodule types. One member of this family, the Hexverter, is configured as Double-Delta Full-Bridge (DDFB). It is a novel multilevel AC/AC converter with direct power conversion and comparatively fewer required components. It is appropriate for connecting two three-phase systems with different frequencies and driving an AC motor directly from a utility grid. This paper presents the dq model of a Hexverter with both of its AC systems by state-space representation, which then simplifies the continuous time-varying model into a periodic discrete time-invariant one. Then a generalized multivariable optimal control strategy for regulating the Hexverter's independent currents is developed. The resulting control structure can be adapted to other MMCCs and is flexible enough to include other control criterion while guaranteeing the original controller performance. The modeling method and control design are verified by simulation results.
- M. Glinka, R. Marquardt, "A new AC/AC-multilevel converter family applied to a single-phase converter," International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, pp. 16- 23, 2003.
- M. Saeedifard and R. Iravani, "Dynamic performance of a modular multilevel back-to-back HVDC system," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 2903-2912, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2050787
- C. Oates, "A methodology for developing 'Chainlink' converters," European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp.1-10, 2009.
- M. Hagiwara, R. Maeda, and H. Akagi, "Negative-sequence reactive - power control by a PWM STATCOM Based on a Modular Multilevel Cascade Converter (MMCC-SDBC)," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 48, No. 2, pp.720-729, Mar./Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2182330
- P. Munch, "Konzeption und entwurf integrierter regelungen fur modulare multilevel umrichter," Logos Verlag Berlin GmbH, 2011.
- S. Bittanti, P. Colaneri, Periodic Systems: Filtering and Control. Communication and Control Engineering, Springer, London, 2009.
- G. F. Frankin, J. D. Powell, and A. Emami-Naeini, Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems, V. O'Brien, Ed Person Prentice Hall, chap. 8, 2006.
- G. F. Franklin, J. D. Powell, and M. L. Workman, Digital Control of Dynamic Systems, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, chap. 8, 1998.
- K. J. Astroem, B. Wittenmark, Computer-controlled Systems-Theory and Design, second edition. Prentice Hall, chap. 11, 1990.
- P. P. Albertos and A. Sala, Multivariable Control Systems: An Engineering Approach, London: Springer, chap. 7, 2004.
- M. Glinka, "Prototype of multiphase modular-multilevelconverter with 2 MW power rating and 17-level-output -voltage," Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Vol. 4, pp. 2572- 2576, 2004.
- H. Akagi, "Classification, Terminology, and Application of the Modular Multilevel Cascade Converter (MMCC)," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3119-3130, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2143431
- Y. Wan, S. Liu, and J. Jiang, "Generalized analytical methods and current-energy control design for Modular Multilevel Cascade Converter (MMCC)," IET Power Electronics. (Accepted)
- A. Lesnicar and R. Marquardt, "An innovative modular multilevel converter topology suitable for a wide power range," Proc. Power Tech Conference, Vol. 3, pp. 23-26, 2003.
- Siemens - HVDC PLUS-http://www.energy.siemens.com/nl/pool/hq/power-transmission/HVDC/HVDC_Plus_Basics_and_Principle.pdf, March 3rd 2013.
- L. Baruschka and A. Mertens, "A new 3-phase direct modular multilevel converter," Power Electronics and Applications, Proceedings of the 2011-14th European Conference on , pp. 1-10, 2011.
- L. Baruschka and A. Mertens, "A new 3-phase AC/AC modular multilevel converter with six branches in hexagonal configuration," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, pp. 4005-4012, 2011.
- A. J. Korn, M. Winkelnkemper, P. Steimer, and J. W. Kolar, "Direct modular multi-level converter for gearless low-speed drives," in Proceeding of Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-7, 2011.
- P. Munch, S. Liu, and M. Dommaschk, "Modeling and current control of modular multilevel converters considering actuator and sensor delays," IECON, pp. 1633-1638, 2009.
- P. Munch, S. Liu, and G. Ebner, "Multivariable current control of Modular Multilevel Converters with disturbance rejection and harmonics compensation," IEEE International Conference of Control Applications, pp. 196-201, 2010.
- P. Munch, D. Gorges, M. Izak, and S. Liu, "Integrated current control, energy control and energy balancing of Modular Multilevel Converters," IECON, pp. 150-155, 2010.
- M. Hagiwara, H. Akagi, "Control and experiment of pulsewidth-modulated modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 7, pp. 1737-1746, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2014236
- The Study of a Battery Energy Storage System Based on the Hexagonal Modular Multilevel Direct AC/AC Converter (Hexverter) vol.6, pp.2169-3536, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2854843