- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Modeling of Lithium Battery Cells for Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles
- Shin, Dong-Hyun (Electronic System R&D Center, Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Jeong, Jin-Beom (Electronic System R&D Center, Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Kim, Tae-Hoon (Electronic System R&D Center, Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Kim, Hee-Jun (School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2012.05.11
- Published : 2013.05.20
Online simulations are utilized to reduce time and cost in the development and performance optimization of plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) and electric vehicles (EV) systems. One of the most important factors in an online simulation is the accuracy of the model. In particular, a model of a battery should accurately reflect the properties of an actual battery. However, precise dynamic modeling of high-capacity battery systems, which significantly affects the performance of a PHEV, is difficult because of its nonlinear electrochemical characteristics. In this study, a dynamic model of a high-capacity battery cell for a PHEV is developed through the extraction of the equivalent impedance parameters using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS). Based on the extracted parameters, a battery cell model is implemented using MATLAB/Simulink, and charging/discharging profiles are executed for comparative verification. Based on the obtained results, the model is optimized for a high-capacity battery cell for a PHEV. The simulation results show good agreement with the experimental results, thereby validating the developed model and verifying its accuracy.
Supported by : Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
- S.-H. Kim, W. Choi, K.-B Lee, and S. Choi, "Advanced dynamic simulation of supercapacitors considering parameter variation and self-discharge," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3377-3385, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2136388
- S. Buller, M. Thele, R. W. A. A. D. Doncker, and E. Karden, "Impedance-based simulation models of supercapacitors and Li-ion batteries for power electronic applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 742-747, May/Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.847280
- J. Bisquert, G. Garcia-Belmonte, P. Bueno, E. Longo, and L.O.S. Bulhões, "Impedance of constant phase element (CPE)-blocked diffusion in film electrodes," J. Electroanaly. Chem., Vol. 452, pp. 229-234, Mar. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0728(98)00115-6
- M. Montaru, and S. Pelissier, "Frequency and temporal indentification of a Li-ion polymer battery model using fractional impedance," Oil Gas Science and Technology, Vol. 65, No. 1, pp. 67-78, Jan./Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.2516/ogst/2009056
- P. J. Mahon, G. L. Paul, S. M. Keshishian, and A. M. Vassallo, "Measurement and modelling of the high-power performance of carbon-based supercapacitors," J. Power Sources, Vol. 91, pp. 68-76, Mar. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(00)00488-2
- S. Nabi, M. Balike, J. Allen, and K. Rzemien, "An overview of hardware-in-the-loop testing systems at Visteon," SAE paper, 2004-01-1240, Jan. 2004.
- A. Dhaliwal, S. C. Nagaraj, and S. Ali, "Hardware-in-the-loop simulation for hybrid electric vehicles-an overview, lessons learnt and solutions implemented," SAE paper, 2009-01-0735, Apr. 2009.
- T. K. Dong, A. Kirchev, F. Mattera, J. Kowal, and Y. Bultel, "Dynamic modeling of Li-ion batteries using an equivalent electrical circuit," J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 158, No. 3, pp. A326-A336, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.3543710
- H. Zhang and M.-Y. Chow, "Comprehensive dynamic battery modeling for PHEV applications," in Proc. IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Jul. 2010.
- Y. Guezennec, W. Choi, and T. Choi, "Optimized dynamic battery model suited for power based vehicle energy simulation," International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 133-141, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-012-0012-9
- Andreas Jossen, "Fundamentals of battery dynamics," J. Power Sources, Vol. 154, pp. 530-538, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.10.041
- J.-H. Lee and W. Choi, "Novel state-of-charge estimation method for lithium polymer batteries using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 237-243, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.2.237
- Idaho National Lab., Battery test manual for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, Rev. 0, Mar. 2008.
- Dynamic Model of Li-Ion Batteries Incorporating Electrothermal and Ageing Aspects for Electric Vehicle Applications vol.65, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2017.2714118