- Volume 13 Issue 3
This paper proposes a new method to improve the available battery capacity in electric vehicles by connecting lead-acid batteries with lithium-ion battery in parallel to supply power. In addition, this method combines the discharge characteristics of batteries to improve their efficiency and lower their cost for electric vehicles. A lithium-ion battery set is used to connect with N sets of lead-acid batteries in parallel. The lead-acid battery supplies the initial power. When the lead-acid battery is discharged by the load current until its output voltage drops to the cut-off voltage, the power management unit controls the lead-acid battery and changes it to discharge continuously with a small current. This discharge can be achieved by connecting the lead-acid battery to a lithium-ion battery in parallel to supply the load power or to discharge its current to another lead-acid or lithium-ion battery. Experimental results demonstrates that the available capacity can be improved by up to 30% of the rated capacity of the lead-acid batteries.
- L. Benini, D. Bruni, A. Macii, E. Macii, and M. Poncino, "Discharge current steering for battery lifetime optimization," IEEE Trans. Computer, Vol. 52, No.8, pp. 985-995, Aug. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2003.1223633
- L. Benini, A. Macii, E. Macii, M. Poncino, and R. Scarsi, "Scheduling battery usage in mobile systems," IEEE Trans. VLSI, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 1136-1143, Dec.2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVLSI.2003.817555
- C. S. Moo, K. S. Ng, and Y. C. Hsieh, "Parallel operation of battery power modules," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 701-707, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2007.914310
- http://www.csb-battery.com, Aug. 2012.
- http://www.molicel.com, Aug. 2012.
- E. Karden, S. Ploumen, B. Fricke, T. Miller, and K. Snyder, "Energy storage devices for future hybrid electric vehicles," J. Power Sources, Vol. 168, pp.2-11, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.10.090
- O. Coumont, P. Le Moigne, C. Rombaut, X. Muneret and P. Lenain, "Enery gauge for lead-acid batteries in electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 354-360, Sep. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.875503
- M. Ceraolo and G. Pede, "Techniques for estimating the residual range of an electric vehicle," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 109-115, Jan. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/25.917893
- P. Sabine, P. Marion, and A. Jossen, "Methods for state-of-charge determination and their applications," J. Power Sources, Vol. 96, No. 1, pp. 113-120, Jun. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00560-2
- M. Coleman, C. K. Lee, C. Zhu, and W. G. Hurley, "State-of-charge determination from EMF voltage estimation using impedance, terminal voltage, and current for lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 2550-2557, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.899926
- F. Pei, K. Zhao, Y. Luo, and X. Huang, "Battery variable current-discharge resistance characteristics and state-of-charge estimation of electric vehicle," in Proc. IEEE WCICA'06, Vol. 2, pp. 8314-8318, Jun. 2006.
- O. Tremblay, L. A. Dessaint, and A. I. Dekkiche, "A generic battery model for the dynamic simulation of hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, VPPC, pp.284-289, Sep. 2007.
- M. Jain, M. Daniele, and P. K. Jain, "A bi-directional dc-dc converter topology for low power application," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 4, pp.595-606, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.849029
- K. Wang, C. Y. Lin, L. Zhu, D. Qu, F. C. Lee, and J. S. Lai, "Bi-directional dc to dc converters for fuel cell system," IEEE Power Electronics in Transportation, pp.47-51, 1998.
- J.N. Marie-Francoise, H. Gualous and A. Berthon, "DC to DC converter with neural network control for on-board electrical energy management," in Proc. IEEE IPEMC, Belfort, France, pp.521-525, Aug. 2004.
- K. Jin, X. Ruan, M. Yang, M. Xu, "A hybrid fuel cell power system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 1212-1222, Apr. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2008336
- D. Somayajula, A. Meintz, and M. Ferdowsi, "Study on the effects of battery capacity on the performance of hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), pp. 1-5, Sep. 2008.
- S. B. Han, M. L. Jeong, S. M. Hyung, and H. C. Gyu, "Load sharing improvement in parallel-operated lead acid batteries," in Proc IEEE ISIE'01, Vol. 2, pp. 1026-1031, Jun. 2001.
- Integrated Model of Power Electronics, Electric Motor, and Gearbox for a Light EV vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1640
- Development of Battery Parallel Operation for Improving Battery Service Life and Flexibility in Electric Vehicles vol.3, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.18178/ijoee.3.4.266-270